Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
On 20/07/2022 at 16:09, TwisterGirl81 said:

I can't say I mind it being cooler, was awful working yesterday and Monday and we were at 29/30c down here, having to serve and deal with grumpy people in their summer gear, it was even worse on the ward when wearing masks, drained wouldn't cut it by the time I finished last night....Really have to have the patience of a saint with some of the general public these days who forget their manners!....I think sun with temperatures of 25c suit me just fine, hopefully thats what it's like for my week off next week 🙂

It depends on the line of work you are in I guess.

I didn’t mind the heat, as I was out walking in my new job, but I had to stick to the shade on the hottest days as the sun was very strong.

Working in an environment where you have to deal with the public is a challenge at the best of times, let alone the uncomfortable conditions you have to tolerate during a hot spell.

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Right I’m going to have a moan.  While I’m grateful for the cooler weather, since the heat wave every single day has been cloudy here. Barely any sun at all. About 99% cloud cover. This summer has been fairly dry here but it’s been so cloudy. June wasn’t too bad but July has been so dull, especially the past week.  Just cloud, cloud and more flaming cloud! ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️ Like what the south had last year.

other than a two day heat wave it’s been a very forgettable summer here.

Forecast doesn’t look very inspiring either.

2E8AD062-6390-44F4-842E-2F846011A677.png

06EE7977-5D12-4729-A4DD-285B8D6B2DCE.png

I have no issues with the temps I just want some flaming sun! ☀️😫

This thread has been quite quiet recently for some reason

Yes, it’s been more cloudy in London since last weekend, so I’m hoping we get the blue sky days back.

Can’t complain too much though as this summer has been the sunniest in London since 2018. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Looks like a 4 day spell of cloudy and possibly drizzly weather coming to the SW just as I'm showing international friends around Devon and Cornwall 😑

But, you can still tell them it was warm and sunny until recently. 

Just bad timing isn’t it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Pre the heatwave, I was happy with the way summer was going as the temps were pleasant and we had quite a bit of sunshine. But since the heatwave, whilst the cool down has been nice I have seen hardly any sun. As is often the case with today's UK summers, you either get sunny but furnace conditions or pleasantly warm but boring overcast conditions. Would be nice to have something more in the way of a middle ground.

I am hoping August will deliver plenty of sunny low humidity 21-27 Celsius days (thunderstorms would be nice too). 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted

Certainly no drought around here- it's been actually really depressing over the last week to wake up to rain or drizzle virtually every morning.

Friday was the exception but even then there was a lot of cloud around.

Just shows how even decent looking charts can lead to prolonged spells of cloudy, monotonous weather in the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
5 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Certainly no drought around here- it's been actually really depressing over the last week to wake up to rain or drizzle virtually every morning.

Friday was the exception but even then there was a lot of cloud around.

Just shows how even decent looking charts can lead to prolonged spells of cloudy, monotonous weather in the UK.

Now we are into August it is really looking ominous,typical August weather,dull,drizzle and cloudy i guess at least it is not cold.It almost makes me wonder wether our summer is already over,yes we have had a lot of drizzle and light showers here,very welcome for farmers but it has done nothing for the drought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I feel the biggest concern now is drought, the Pennine  chains are approaching critical levels, i see this on a daily basis almost. We desperately need rain and a lot of it in many areas, sadly August does not seem to be playing ball.

Posted
59 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Now we are into August it is really looking ominous,typical August weather,dull,drizzle and cloudy i guess at least it is not cold.It almost makes me wonder wether our summer is already over,yes we have had a lot of drizzle and light showers here,very welcome for farmers but it has done nothing for the drought.

I don't think the summer is over and I think there are signs that this August could be different to the typical modern August.

That said it has been depressing here over the last few days- thankfully much better this afternoon though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

I feel the biggest concern now is drought, the Pennine  chains are approaching critical levels, i see this on a daily basis almost. We desperately need rain and a lot of it in many areas, sadly August does not seem to be playing ball.

Unfortunately, rain won’t make much difference in August, much better to get a wet autumn and especially winter, to top up those water levels, as vegetation goes dormant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
58 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Unfortunately, rain won’t make much difference in August, much better to get a wet autumn and especially winter, to top up those water levels, as vegetation goes dormant.

To be honest with you i agree but any rain now would be beneficial, if not just to lessen the possibility of wildfires breaking out. A hot dry August would not be good on any level. We need a balance to return.

Posted

I think we will pay for this at some point, and a mild winter might be something we need at a time with rising fuel costs.

I have a bad feeling, we might be in for a colder winter than normal, with some snow, but this will come at the worst possible time.

All this dry weather will probably lead to a rapid cool off as we head into winter. 

I’m not seeing a 90/91, 95/96 or late 2000s winter, but something similar to 17/18 might happen, or a colder version of 20/21. 

Anything close to above will be dangerous for many households, and I might add, will be even worse than the 40c heatwave we experienced.

The cold will kill more people if we can’t afford to heat our flats.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather, thunderstorms

Hoping for some thunderstorms here, seems to have been so long since we had any 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

To be honest with you i agree but any rain now would be beneficial, if not just to lessen the possibility of wildfires breaking out. A hot dry August would not be good on any level. We need a balance to return.

Wildfires are a risk at the moment, sadly 😞 We do need a balance, it will return, it always does in the UK after a prolonged dry spell. I’d rather it happened after the summer when rain would be much more effective. 

Posted
39 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Wildfires are a risk at the moment, sadly 😞 We do need a balance, it will return, it always does in the UK after a prolonged dry spell. I’d rather it happened after the summer when rain would be much more effective. 

It feels like today, or at some stage this week, we will encounter some thundery activity. It’s very humid out there, and I feel more drained now compared to the hot dry heat of 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

but something similar to 17/18 might happen, or a colder version of 20/21. Anything close to above will be dangerous for many households, and I might add, will be even worse than the 40c heatwave we experienced.

I really do not think a 2017/18 or 2020/21 winter would be an issue as they were not very cold overall and certainly wouldn't pose a danger for many households!  If they did then we really are in serious trouble!  However, I agree a severe winter like 1946/47, 1962/63 or 1978/79 would not be good news this year.

Posted
29 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I think we are slowly losing the balance. From selling hay for horses between October and April  40 years ago we now sell all the year round in the last 15 years.  Horse laminitis is now much more prevalent all the year round instead of just the peak growing season. Its a form of horse diabetes  sugars are staying high in grazed grass earlier in spring and later in autumn as the climate warms.Main treatment is to take horse in and feed dry lower value feed. Much more marked weather nowadays with less average weather.Up here a very dry January, a very wet February, a dry March  a very wet first half of April,Next month to second half of May very dry. Since then its then been mostly dry with just enough showers to keep crops going.  Noticeably a very  windy late winter spring and early summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It feels like today, or at some stage this week, we will encounter some thundery activity. It’s very humid out there, and I feel more drained now compared to the hot dry heat of 2 weeks ago. 

much fresher here towards the NW, looks much cooler here for a time too Wed to Fri

Posted

"Petty arguments over breakdowns and downgrades/upgrades only happen during Winter when the coldies come out of hibernation. This place is a icon of peace and love for the rest of the year."

😉

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Not much moaning going on! We are all clearly loving this weather!

All the moaning seems to be taking place in the heat haters thread. Once the heat has gone, I guess people will come back to here. 🙂

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

All the moaning seems to be taking place in the heat haters thread. Once the heat has gone, I guess people will come back to here. 🙂

Just my tuppence worth, but surely this thread is for moaning about summer? Either if you’re a heat hater or a heat lover? I’m not sure I like all this separation going on, there seem to be cliques forming and that’s never a good thing, especially as meaningful discussion suffers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1