Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or dry, warm and breezy.
21 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's a weather forum, people like extremes.. I don't know how many times people need to be reminded of this?! No amount of ramping or telling people they're irresponsible is going to change the weather.

Yes, I agree but by the same token is it unreasonable to put forward the view that one can be a weather enthusiast without losing sight of the fact caring about fellow people's safety should trump that when it gets to extremes? It is part of being a decent human being, isn't it?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, Stav said:

Yes, I agree but by the same token is it unreasonable to put forward the view that one can be a weather enthusiast without losing sight of the fact caring about fellow people's safety should trump that when it gets to extremes? It is part of being a decent human being, isn't it?

It is unreasonable when you're doing it in a guilt-tripping manner.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It is unreasonable when you're doing it in a guilt-tripping manner.

How do you define that, though?  Wanting extremes to happen for the sake of a kick and jeering at people who disagree due to fearing for their own health and the health of loved ones seems to me a symptom of contemporary societal disconnect.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

How do you define that, though?  Wanting extremes to happen for the sake of a kick and jeering at people who disagree due to fearing for their own health and the health of loved ones seems to me a symptom of contemporary societal disconnect.

I haven't seen a single person on this forum wish for any kind of suffering from extreme weather.. But nobody should be telling other members that they're selfish or irresponsible for wanting certain weather extremes to occur. It's in the forum guidelines and it should be adhered to.

If you don't like it, then ignore the poster, or don't go to that part of the forum. I like to view the model discussion thread without seeing members getting lambasted and creating arguments because they don't like somebody's weather preference.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

I haven't seen a single person on this forum wish for any kind of suffering from extreme weather.. But nobody should be telling other members that they're selfish or irresponsible for wanting certain weather extremes to occur. It's in the forum guidelines and it should be adhered to.

If you don't like it, then ignore the poster, or don't go to that part of the forum. I like to view the model discussion thread without seeing members getting lambasted and creating arguments because they don't like somebody's weather preference.

Well no, I haven't seen anyone saying "I want to see old people die", but that's a pretty low bar to clear.  Would we say "I want to drive at 70 mph on a residential road past a school at 3 p.m. whilst sending a text message" and expect to not be criticised just because we hadn't expressed a desire to kill kids?

Posted
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Well no, I haven't seen anyone saying "I want to see old people die", but that's a pretty low bar to clear.  Would we say "I want to drive at 70 mph on a residential road past a school at 3 p.m. whilst sending a text message" and expect to not be criticised just because we hadn't expressed a desire to kill kids?

I'm not going to bother replying about the subject any more.

Making a comparison like that is ridiculous.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

There's a difference there though isn't there. That is something the individual expressing the desire can control, but no one can control the weather.

This is why we have the guilt tripping rule in the guide lines.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Paul said:

There's a difference there though isn't there. That is something the individual expressing the desire can control, but no one can control the weather.

This is why we have the guilt tripping rule in the guide lines.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Thanks for the clarification; does that mean, though, that if I express an opinion regarding concern for the vulnerable (which BTW includes me) I could be infringing the rules?

Posted

Nobody on here wants anyone to die or suffer as a result of the weather, but being interested in severe weather, we are always going to have that "itch" to see/experience unusual weather should it occur.

You can guarantee if it were Winter and charts were showing either -5c  and snow or -15c and blizzards, those interested in the cold would be ramping and hoping the more extreme solution would come off (despite the danger to life and infrastructure those conditions would cause) and that's okay.

Even I would be interested to see the more extreme scenario come to fruition and I HATE the cold.

It's the same with thunderstorms, windstorms - any form of weather. I doubt we would be here if we had an interest in completely benign/safe weather.

• Like 6

Posted

When does a heatwave become a severe drought? This is what I am seeing with the forecast at the moment. With lack of rain in many parts of England this spring and with rivers etc running very low already, ( plus the state of some of them with raw sewage and phosphates producing algae blooms and wiping out keystone species, see River Wye ), then all I see are huge proplems for us and the wildlife.

Wildfires will become common place in the next week as things become tinder dry.  At least another 10+ days without any useable rain forecast. As if things couldn't be any worse in this country....

Enjoy the heatwave.... the consequences will become apparent pretty soon.

Edited by Andrew Hurcomb
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
On 09/07/2022 at 14:38, ResonantChannelThunder said:

By 'thunder bugs' do you mean flying ants? I see that phrase bandied about a lot on social media etc and it seems to mean different things depending on who's saying it. Just trying to get a grasp of what most people mean when they use that term

I always thought they were those tiny black bugs that are attracted to water that seem to swamp my pool this time of year see the buggers in the 1000s, I also could well be wrong here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
On 09/07/2022 at 15:50, cyclonic happiness said:

I know what you mean, in the Midlands we call them thunder-flies and they come out in super hot and humid weather, and god help you if you wear yellow  

Or anything neon for that point 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

Nobody on here wants anyone to die or suffer as a result of the weather, but being interested in severe weather, we are always going to have that "itch" to see/experience unusual weather should it occur.

You can guarantee if it were Winter and charts were showing either -5c  and snow or -15c and blizzards, those interested in the cold would be ramping and hoping the more extreme solution would come off (despite the danger to life and infrastructure those conditions would cause) and that's okay.

Even I would be interested to see the more extreme scenario come to fruition and I HATE the cold.

It's the same with thunderstorms, windstorms - any form of weather. I doubt we would be here if we had an interest in completely benign/safe weather.

In the record breaking heatwave of July 2019 when the record temperature of 38.7C was achieved on 25th July, there were over 8,000 heat related deaths. That is a major incident in mortality and obviously cannot be ignored. If the current heatwave is sustained over a longer period of time and the UK record is challenged, expect incidence of heat related deaths to be even higher.

I agree extreme weather events are very interesting, and any new records will obviously grab anyone's attention. But the danger to human life cannot be ignored either. It's a case of being a little bit careful of what you wish for.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Rheidolinflood said:

In the record breaking heatwave of July 2019 when the record temperature of 38.7C was achieved on 25th July, there were over 8,000 heat related deaths. That is a major incident in mortality and obviously cannot be ignored. If the current heatwave is sustained over a longer period of time and the UK record is challenged, expect incidence of heat related deaths to be even higher.

I agree extreme weather events are very interesting, and any new records will obviously grab anyone's attention. But the danger to human life cannot be ignored either. It's a case of being a little bit careful of what you wish for.

From the LSE Jan 2020 "The analysis shows a total of 892 people aged 65 and over died in England as a result of three periods of heatwave conditions in England during summer 2019."  that was over the entire summer of 2019 not just July

• Like 2

Posted

Hopefully the same level of concern will be evident over the thousands of cold weather related deaths this winter.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rheidolinflood said:

That is a complete lie. 

18 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Hopefully the same level of concern will be evident over the thousands of cold weather related deaths this winter.

Apparently you just have to put another layer on, that's all I get told in the Model thread......

Posted

Well it was perfect until about 3pm when a weird bank of high cloud suddenly drifted in spoiling the sunny day. We were at 29c but the temp gone back to 28c due to the cloud. Sun making the occasional burst. Not gonna complain after the summer so far which has really been a couple of warm days here and there interspersed with sub 20c temps most of the time. Naturally in the pub beer garden. Making the most of it.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, RJBingham said:

Yep. Like this winter when folks cant pay the gas bills so they would get on the circular bus and sit on it for 4 hours to save putting the heating on . Or get a coffee in the Spoons and spend the day sipping it. Seriously. That was happening round here. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

So the latest 12z runs shows 38c for Norfolk next Monday, Tuesday 28c , then 17c Wednesday then back to 28c WTF happen Wednesday?..

3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well must admit. I have been to 3 pubs nearby and the beer gardens are buzzing. Not too many moans about excess heat. Everyone just seem to be lapping it up and having a beer! 

As they should!. I know people have preferences but there's plenty of time for rain, cold and muck for six months from October to March.

• Like 5

Posted
37 minutes ago, SunnyPlease said:

As they should!. I know people have preferences but there's plenty of time for rain, cold and muck for six months from October to March.

Too right chap. When it does come to visit us mek the most of it. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

That is a complete lie. 

Apparently you just have to put another layer on, that's all I get told in the Model thread......

That doesn’t work if the flat is cold and damp. This is why the cold in this country is just as bad, if not worse than a few weeks of very hot weather in summer. 

1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well must admit. I have been to 3 pubs nearby and the beer gardens are buzzing. Not too many moans about excess heat. Everyone just seem to be lapping it up and having a beer! 

I’m loving it, and long may it continue.

The only downside I have is no outdoor space, so I’m sitting in my studio flat feeling quite hot.

But, I’ll take that over cold and damp conditions any day.

We have the fan on right now.

• Like 1