Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

There is alot of stuff people stuff aren't mentioning in terms of the dangers this could bring. With how dry it's been and the low humidity I fear wildfires would be a big risk, possibly widespread. In addition good luck getting fresh food when all the chillers in supermarkets break down.

Countryside isn't quite dry enough for that yet, crops still green, Winter Barley is being combined in places but it's not at tinder box stage by a long way. If this carries on until mid Aug then yes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah, quite bemused by people saying 40c would feel ok due to low humidity. An oven is low humidity but it still cooks.

Anything above natural body temp is dangerous because there’s no way of your body cooling itself. That’s why there will be a ‘stay indoors’ message if temperatures breach 40c.

How ridiculous comparing an oven to 40C. when was the last time you cooked anything at 40C?

Posted
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

GFS 6z is a shocker of a run, widespread maxes of 40+. Unprecedented heat something you'd expect in the middle east, not the UK out of all places. Coast of northern France showing a max of 49C! Truly spectacular, a winter equivalent would probably be widespread lows of -25 and below.

I for one speaking for many people, would not want this to happen

image.thumb.png.06665e69731e8b6d6c695166ecb79a79.png

Only people who are out of their minds would want this to happen.

We would be counting deaths if that happened 

3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

How ridiculous comparing an oven to 40C. when was the last time you cooked anything at 40C?

My god... It's clearly a figure of speech!

Posted
1 minute ago, slater said:

Never going to happen,  as much as its exciting to see charts next Sunday showing 43c the chances that happening is zero, all the hype today will be gone tomorrow like it did yesterday...

Well i'm off work now until 21st July so any bursts of heat will be most welcome between now and then. Just glad i'm not in my office when it gets to about 28c/30c it is impossible to cool down. No air con. For once in my life taking annual leave seems to have coincided with some splendid weather ! We will see ....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

My point was that anything above your core temperature will slowly start to cook you. Severe fevers are classed at 40c. There’s a reason that these temps over the pond trigger stay at home warnings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

My point was that anything above your core temperature will slowly start to cook you. Severe fevers are classed at 40c. There’s a reason that these temps over the pond trigger stay at home warnings.

Clearly not, been in high 40’s lots. Yes it’s hot, very hot and have actually experienced 51.5C in Death Valley but can assure you (and everyone else) you do not cook, or for that matter melt down between cracks in the pavements if you venture out or spontaneously combust on exposure to sunlight in high temps. Stay hydrated and if it’s too warm Stay in the shade. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm scared to death. I'm meant to be in a caravan next weekend ...

Not sure I’d be planning to go in a caravan with that level of heat. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
Just now, Alderc said:

Clearly not, been in high 40’s lots. Yes it’s hot, very hot and have actually experienced 51.5C in Death Valley but can assure you (and everyone else) you do not cook, or for that matter melt down between cracks in the pavements if you venture out or spontaneously combust on exposure to sunlight in high temps. Stay hydrated and if it’s too warm Stay in the shade. 

As this is the model discussion, probably not the right place to say it - but all I will say is - no, most people will not "spontaneously combust" but a lot of at-risk people such as the eldery will not cope well, especially ones who may live in the city in old, non-AC homes that were built in times when 32-34C was a special event. I think anyone who just automatically brushes off worries like the original post is just silly -but also I can see both sides. Not everyone has experienced high-40s so you can't expect that everyone will cope alright. But I shan't continue here as this seems a more appropriate topic for the Moans thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
22 hours ago, reef said:

Personal preference and all, but 28C is far from pleasant for me. 22C perhaps.

It's brought out millions of thunder bugs aswell. 

By 'thunder bugs' do you mean flying ants? I see that phrase bandied about a lot on social media etc and it seems to mean different things depending on who's saying it. Just trying to get a grasp of what most people mean when they use that term

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder
  • Like 1

Posted

I see the old "if we wish hard enough this weather type will / will not happen" brigade are out again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
7 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

By 'thunder bugs' do you mean flying ants? I see that phrase bandied about a lot on social media etc and it seems to mean different things depending on who's saying it. Just trying to get a grasp of what most people mean when they use that term

This is what I know as thunderbug hereabouts. It's a type of thrip insect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

As someone who only really comments here when it’s about to (hopefully) snow. I have been drawn back here due to this mornings GFS 6Z run. Unbelievable. People taking it as gospel however seriously need to look at their knowledge on meteorology and wonder if it is truly for them because it was exactly this time last December that a few here were saying it was the COLDEST chart seen in their lifetime, then we had the most mediocre winter for coldies ever.

Take everything with a pinch of salt my friends do not be wishing the most extreme heat on the UK either, we aren’t built to deal with it it would be a National crisis if temperatures got too high! But whatever happens, just keep safe and hydrated everyone!

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Hottest I've experienced was Perth , WA.

Officially It was 43, I was at the cricket and slathered in cream but you could see your skin bubbling.

Posted
5 hours ago, Staffmoorlands said:

Once again looking at raw output doesn’t give the full picture. From Tuesday, we see increasing clouds and generally more unsettled conditions especially north of Birmingham. Temperatures 21-23c.

Probably a good week to holiday in the south for us northern folk.

Could do without the extreme heat. We should set up a Netweather house swap program

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, MrNooo said:

Countryside isn't quite dry enough for that yet, crops still green, Winter Barley is being combined in places but it's not at tinder box stage by a long way. If this carries on until mid Aug then yes.

I’m not quite sure I would agree with you on this, maybe locally but here in Lincolnshire and Also east anglia we have not seen any appreciable rain in many weeks. The fields in our area have been using irrigation rigs for some weeks now. In fact the current rainfall averages recently from the metoffice bare this out. Recently breezes are whipping up the dust off the surrounding land and the trees are having die back of the leaves. 

LO

Edited by Lincs Observation
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
2 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Perhaps but it feels much hotter outside in the low 30s around the Med.

Much higher levels of UV in the Mediterranean too 

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Alderc said:

True, having lived in Spain and Australia, I've been outside in 40c+ and my body temperature was still below 37c, evaporative cooling and all that, it's also true that the risk of heart attack rises considerably  once the outside temperature is over 38c. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
13 minutes ago, Neil Harris said:

Hottest I've experienced was Perth , WA.

Officially It was 43, I was at the cricket and slathered in cream but you could see your skin bubbling.

I had 42/43c too when I lived in Melbourne New years Daym was still 32c at midnight sweating buckets!

• Like 2

Posted

I’ve had 42/43C once in the Israeli Red Sea resort of Eilat, which borders the Sinai desert, Negev desert and Arabian desert, overlooking Jordan and Saudi Arabia. It was barely 10% humidity and like walking in a hairdryer. Every building, even markets, was kitted out with incredible aircon - non of that exists here. To experience it in England would be nothing short of insane. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
24 minutes ago, Sprites said:

This is what I know as thunderbug hereabouts. It's a type of thrip insect. 

Ah, yes that makes sense! Those tiny little thin ones that get all over your arms on a walk on a warm afternoon.

If only their every appearance meant thunderstorms were around!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

By far the worst weekend for heat this year. Trapped indoors, will be taking a bank loan out to pay for the ac usage!

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

By far the worst weekend for heat this year. Trapped indoors, will be taking a bank loan out to pay for the ac usage!

What? 22/23c. It's just a standard summer day.  Well. Unless you look at the last 2 weeks when it was just autumn +

• Like 4

Posted

I've been taking advantage of 'hybrid working' and working in the garden on nearly every sunny day lately, and getting pretty tanned along with it! Not burned once due to good old Aldi sunscreen (very reasonably priced too). I can only hope that this extensive exposure to the sun over the last few weeks means that the potential extreme heat affects me a bit less. 

Although I'm not looking forward to my next two office days in Winchester as they're this Monday (hot) and the following Monday (potentially even hotter). 

Edit: sorry, thought I was in the chat thread, not the moans! Oh well, it's all summer chat either way

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

What? 22/23c. It's just a standard summer day.  Well. Unless you look at the last 2 weeks when it was just autumn +

Think its the UV  thats making it feel so hot, i never sit out in sun at all, just can't tolerate it, this time of year it is far to strong for the likes of myself

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

I had 42/43c too when I lived in Melbourne New years Daym was still 32c at midnight sweating buckets!

I was in Melbourne ashes 2006/2007. And boxing day 2006 was the 2nd coldest boxing day in history. I went to the test match at MCG in a t shirt jumper and coat (which i didn't expect to use again until back at Heathrow). It was freezing for about 5 days. Irony was going up to airport to fly to Sydney it was back up to 30c light winds and clear blue skies!!

• Like 2