Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
59 minutes ago, Portsmouth Sun said:

Oh come on don't be so dramatic, sounds like a Daily Fail headline.  28-32c is a standard warm summer spell. 

Lol it’s pathetic isn’t it.

Yet, we have to tolerate weeks of 8-13c during the colder time of the year, accompanied by damp and windy conditions. Sometimes even colder than 8c.

8 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

I can't lie, this week has been quite disappointing with most of the daylight hours filled with thick, grey cloud only for it to clear up in the evening/overnight. 

It's really hard to enjoy warm temps under this cloud. 

I think we’ve had a couple of those days recently, but would argue it’s been a better period of weather since early June.

This summer already feels better than 2021.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yep. Normal for the grass to stay green here all summer. The only year I can remember where it didn’t was in 2018, when it went a bit brown. Nothing like how scorched the grass was in the south east though. 

The grass was looking slightly patched around mid June but last weeks rain soon fixed that lol.

Some summers it can be a challenge to mow the grass because it’s always wet, in summer 2017 we actually had to get someone in a petrol mower to cut it because it couldn’t go longer than 2-3 days without raining! 

London summer temps would feel scorching in the sun. Be grateful for the cloud.

Enjoy it if that’s the kind of weather you like. Sounds like hell to me. So glad I’m up north where it will be cooler!

After summer was on vacation yesterday here today it is back, it’s been mostly sunny with a nice breeze. Current temp is only 18C according to my phone but in the strong sun it feels much warmer than that. Humidity is quite high though at 72%, which does make a big difference to the feels like temp.

My cats fur felt hot after she was in the sun, amazing the strength of the sun at this time of year. She likes the heat - me not so much!

Even at 7:20 pm it still feels strong. I’m sat in the garden in shorts and a t-shirt with a big bottle of water and can feel the strength of the suns rays on my skin.

Next week it is forecast to get into the mid 20’s here. In the strong sun it will feel absolutely scorching.

Most places warm and sunny today according to my phone. Whitley Bay in the North Sea coast is apparently 24C, I don’t believe that, it’s hardly ever warm up there, I shall check the met office weather observations later. And as Dan mentioned London is forecast to have an absolute scorcher.

AF2CADCC-A646-4E9B-9881-7D056B3363BC.png

9C2347F5-680F-42ED-9D4B-3576EA9ABCA1.png

This current spell is my kind of summer weather. 

Much better than dull and cool conditions.

1 hour ago, legion_quest said:

Too warm. Far, far too warm. Disruption and deaths warm. 

If you don't work, or can take annual leave for it, I can see why this might be amazing. But for the vast majority, sitting in cars, using public transport, sitting in offices or shops with no air con - and then trying to sleep when you get home - is going to be simply unbearable. 

A few days, that's a nice spot of weather. Sustained for a few weeks, that's too much. Those dark spots of heat, should they come through for that long.....time to move to Stornoway! 

I don’t know why people keep moaning about a few weeks or month or more of hot weather.

We spend most of any given year under cool and sometimes cold and damp conditions.

• Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

This current spell is my kind of summer weather. 

Much better than dull and cool conditions.

I don’t know why people keep moaning about a few weeks or month or more of hot weather.

We spend most of any given year under cool and sometimes cold and damp conditions.

Because everything in our society is built for that weather. 

We dont have the infrastructure for that kind of heat on any sustained level. Out houses/offices are built to retain heat, on the whole, so when we get sustained heat, it becomes very difficult to practically do things. 

Air con isnt standard like it is in other places where that level of sustained heat is the norm. We have the tube, that is hot at the best of times, but in that level of sustained heat? 

It's a very different proposition from a few hot days to sustained heat. That's the difference  for me. I don't mind some nice sunny weather, but when I look at models showing several weeks of it - at levels I dont remember ever seeing, even if there are chances it wont turn out that way - it worries me, because we literally aren't built for it. We're built for the 8-13c.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

We dont have the infrastructure for that kind of heat on any sustained level. Out houses/offices are built to retain heat, on the whole, so when we get sustained heat, it becomes very difficult to practically do things. 

Air con isnt standard like it is in other places where that level of sustained heat is the norm. We have the tube, that is hot at the best of times, but in that level of sustained heat? 

It's a very different proposition from a few hot days to sustained heat. That's the difference  for me. I don't mind some nice sunny weather, but when I look at models showing several weeks of it - at levels I dont remember ever seeing, even if there are chances it wont turn out that way - it worries me, because we literally aren't built for it. We're built for the 8-13c.

I don’t want to experience year round temps of below 20c or 16c.

I enjoy some warm sunny and sometimes hot weather. 

I know it gets a little uncomfortable sometimes when the temp reaches or exceeds 26c, especially in built up areas.

But, surely isn’t this a small price to pay for a little slice of nice sunny days and warmer weather?

Before we know it, it will be late August and the early autumn chill will be slowly creeping back in. So, I just feel some folk need to just stop complaining, as hot weather isn’t going to be around for that long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

I use the tube fairly often, and it’s just something I accept.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I don’t want to experience year round temps of below 20c or 16c.

I enjoy some warm sunny and sometimes hot weather. 

I know it gets a little uncomfortable sometimes when the temp reaches or exceeds 26c, especially in built up areas.

But, surely isn’t this a small price to pay for a little slice of nice sunny days and warmer weather?

Before we know it, it will be late August and the early autumn chill will be slowly creeping back in. So, I just feel some folk need to just stop complaining, as hot weather isn’t going to be around for that long. 

No, not really. 

When it's too hot to actually do anything safely, that isn't enjoyable. It's not just a slice of sunny weather, it's actively dangerous because, as I say, we dont have the infrastructure for it. 

It's debilitating when it gets that hot, just as it would be if we had a blizzard and snow storm. Warmth doesnt need extremes. Extremes are no fun to actually try and work/sleep in (though granted you can snuggle up and sleep in the cold, but still). 

If we had the infrastructure, if we had air con as standard in homes and offices, then I'd care less. But we dont, so I do. 

You feel differently, but to come in to a Summer weather moans thread and not expect moans....

• Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

2018 was hot, and it went on for weeks at a time. But, with a few low 20s days to cool thing down, before heating up again.

That was one of my favourite summers. Long periods of sunshine, and it was lovely.

So your statement of ‘levels of heat I don’t remember seeing’ sounds like a slight exaggeration. It’s been hot for long periods in the past.

1983, and 1995 are prime examples of summers that had days on end of hot sunny weather. People just got on with it.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

2018 was hot, and it went on for weeks at a time. But, with a few low 20s days to cool thing down, before heating up again.

That was one of my favourite summers. Long periods of sunshine, and it was lovely.

So your statement of ‘levels of heat I don’t remember seeing’ sounds like a slight exaggeration. It’s been hot for long periods in the past.

1983, and 1995 are prime examples of summers that had days on end of hot sunny weather. People just got on with it.

I dont ever remember seeing consistent charts of heat temperatures over 35c. 2018 was hot, but not that hot compared to that level. And as I said 'if they come off.' 

The other two are outside my frame of reference. 

If you dont think it being that hot for long periods is a problem, fair play to you, but I shall continue moaning about it being so in the moans thread. Because it is a problem. Getting on with it or not. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

No, not really. 

When it's too hot to actually do anything safely, that isn't enjoyable. It's not just a slice of sunny weather, it's actively dangerous because, as I say, we dont have the infrastructure for it. 

It's debilitating when it gets that hot, just as it would be if we had a blizzard and snow storm. Warmth doesnt need extremes. Extremes are no fun to actually try and work/sleep in (though granted you can snuggle up and sleep in the cold, but still). 

If we had the infrastructure, if we had air con as standard in homes and offices, then I'd care less. But we dont, so I do. 

You feel differently, but to come in to a Summer weather moans thread and not expect moans....

Well I can argue that it’s equally dangerous when the winter temps are around 6-7c with damp cold and windy conditions, when people struggle to keep their homes warm. 

And no, not everyone lives in a warm building where we can all wear shorts and t shirts in winter, as some of us live in old Victorian houses, with poor insolation, which makes the October to early April period a trying period for trying to keep warm.

More deaths occur due to winter cold, as opposed to summer heat, especially in the U.K.

Posted
6 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

No, not really. 

Upper 20s is hot, but it isn’t extreme.

Even a few days exceeding 30-1c isn’t extreme. 

A week long 40c would be something on the cusp of becoming really uncomfortable, but I can’t see anything like that happening this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Well I can argue that it’s equally dangerous when the winter temps are around 6-7c with damp cold and windy conditions, when people struggle to keep their homes warm. 

And no, not everyone lives in a warm building where we can all wear shorts and t shirts in winter, as some of us live in old Victorian houses, with poor insolation, which makes the October to early April period a trying period for trying to keep warm.

More deaths occur due to winter cold, as opposed to summer heat, especially in the U.K.

More deaths occur because that's the dominant weather pattern for most of the year. 

If this type of weather comes off, there will be excess deaths because of it, because extremes of heat are just as bad, but it wont seem as much, because the period is currently shorter. However, given trends worldwide, it seems unlikely it will be short periods for much longer, and sustained heat likely is coming more often. 

This isn't a competition, it's a moan about heat in a thread for moaning about heat. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 hours ago, legion_quest said:

Fair enough if that's your thing. I obviously cannot say the same if it's a sustained thing for weeks on end at those temps. 

A few days, a week - lovely.  

A few weeks, a month - death. 

Well in the UK it’s generally very unlikely that heat lasts more than a few days/a week, so as usual, people that don’t like heat won’t have to endure it for long. 
I don’t like temperatures above 32°C as they’re a bit pointless in my opinion but I do want loads of warm sunshine throughout the summer months. However, if there is a heatwave, I’d really like some severe thunderstorms! This has for me been the biggest and most unwelcome change in the UK’s summer climate over the last couple of decades, the lack of thundery activity and warm weather being quickly blasted away with cold drizzle. Thank goodness the Czech Republic gets so many summer storms, and some severe ones too.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Horrible morning, seems like its only here, but living this far north west isn't the best

Radio Wimbledon saying super with cloudless skies there

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Well all those people who posted the 10 days fantasy charts all disappeared again ...just normal summer weather the best of it here in EA and SE, so sorry to our friends in the NW who may only see a couple days warmth and the charts look truly awful for the next 2 weeks for those guys  ,some showing only 9c as max temp in Scotland 

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful at 6am, mostly cloudy by 10. How has this happened again. Only cloud on the early satellite was in Staffs/Derbys with WNW wind. But it's just expanded, and theres mid level crud above it in the gaps. So disappointing after it suddenly cleared yesterday and I thought it might just maybe it was the start of a sunny period

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

It’s beautiful in Exeter, will be glad to finish work later to enjoy a few hours of sunshine. Hoping the rest of summer is like this with the odd overnight rain for the gardens, plants and wildlife 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

It’s beautiful in Exeter, will be glad to finish work later to enjoy a few hours of sunshine. Hoping the rest of summer is like this with the odd overnight rain for the gardens, plants and wildlife 

Yep, this is pretty much the perfect summer weather for the UK, where we don’t have air conditioning at home. It’s very warm - highs of 27c to 28c - sunny and with low humidity. Hot without being uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Janglos199 said:

It's so hot, so I am using a fan pointing towards me, while I am wearing a soaking t-shirt. That helps a lot.

Aye, wet top is most effective way, I find

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

100% cloud cover again after 2 hours of broken cloud.

Truly abysmal Summer so far .

Is this a standard summer for you or is it worse than usual?

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Well in the UK it’s generally very unlikely that heat lasts more than a few days/a week, so as usual, people that don’t like heat won’t have to endure it for long. 
I don’t like temperatures above 32°C as they’re a bit pointless in my opinion but I do want loads of warm sunshine throughout the summer months. However, if there is a heatwave, I’d really like some severe thunderstorms! This has for me been the biggest and most unwelcome change in the UK’s summer climate over the last couple of decades, the lack of thundery activity and warm weather being quickly blasted away with cold drizzle. Thank goodness the Czech Republic gets so many summer storms, and some severe ones too.

It would be interesting to see what year saw the change from regular thunderstorm activity after a hot spell, to a period where hot spells are lacking in storms.

I think 2007 was the first summer where this started.

2006 was still thundery during this hot spells in July that year. 

1 hour ago, danm said:

Yep, this is pretty much the perfect summer weather for the UK, where we don’t have air conditioning at home. It’s very warm - highs of 27c to 28c - sunny and with low humidity. Hot without being uncomfortable. 

This is perfect, but even I as a heat lover will admit once it touches 29-30c it starts to feel uncomfortable and more humid.

Still, I’m not knocking it, as I’ll gladly take weeks of this weather until September, over dull clag and low 20s.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I’m glad I changed my job and went back to being a messenger. I get to walk around London part of the day for my job.

Beats the security job and having to wear a suit.

The tube is the only drawback for me now, as the Central Line is roasting once daytime highs reach 25c or exceed it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It would be interesting to see what year saw the change from regular thunderstorm activity after a hot spell, to a period where hot spells are lacking in storms.

I think 2007 was the first summer where this started.

2006 was still thundery during this hot spells in July that year. 

This is perfect, but even I as a heat lover will admit once it touches 29-30c it starts to feel uncomfortable and more humid.

Still, I’m not knocking it, as I’ll gladly take weeks of this weather until September, over dull clag and low 20s.

I think you are pretty spot on there!

I am also certain 2007 was when the frequent thundery breakdowns after hot weather in summer suddenly dramatically reduced.

I maybe just imagining things as I was just 11 years old or younger before 2007 but I am certain thundery spells were more frequent and the storms had a higher lightning count in the spring and summer months.