Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted

I prefer the peak of summer heat to arrive in July, just feels the right time for it, preferably around the middle of the month lasting through to the end of the month before we begin to lose light notably and descend into August - a month I rate little.

Fingers crossed we see a week possibly 2 of widespread warm sunny dry weather. Last July delivered upwards of a week of such weather here, mid 20s is perfectly fine... came third week of July. Ideal.

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I prefer the peak of summer heat to arrive in July, just feels the right time for it, preferably around the middle of the month lasting through to the end of the month before we begin to lose light notably and descend into August - a month I rate little.

Fingers crossed we see a week possibly 2 of widespread warm sunny dry weather. Last July delivered upwards of a week of such weather here, mid 20s is perfectly fine... came third week of July. Ideal.

July 1990 started around about 10th/11th. Superb after for August and September.  Here is hoping! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

July 1990 started around about 10th/11th. Superb after for August and September.  Here is hoping! 

I remember September being on a chilly side.

We lost the hot weather towards the end of August. 

• Like 1

Posted

I remember May 1990 was probably the best May I ever knew (from a warm appreciation perspective) . June 1990 was not that good. From about 10 days in July was magnificent.  August was magnificent.  If I got September wrong I hold my hands up. Can't really recall it all that well. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Muy Caliente, Muy Soleado

Looks like summer is on hold for another week up here in the NW 

Might be time to dust off the BBQ once we finally reach 20c on Saturday 

Fingers crossed

Screenshot_20220704-012235_Adblock Browser.jpg

Edited by JayAlmeida
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cleared up nicely yesterday but today the cloud is back with a vengeance and it is anything but warm! When is it going to settle down...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I don't think I've ever known Met Office to be so consistently wrong with cloud amounts. They are saying overcast today and yet its beautiful, with hardly a cloud in the sky. They also said the Friday and Saturday just gone would be mainly cloudy and Friday ended up OK and Saturday was gorgeous. They're also saying every day until this Saturday is going to be mainly overcast. Would be surprised considering the high coming over us! Hopefully they will keep getting it dead wrong and it keep turning out nice lol. Just never known them to be so inaccurate, they used to be really reliable.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

Cleared up nicely yesterday but today the cloud is back with a vengeance and it is anything but warm! When is it going to settle down...

After this week and into the weekend and following week, it looks like the Azores high is slowly extending further NE, so in another week or so, the entire UK looks to be under anticyclonic conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

had a ground frost here Sunday ...been a wet summer so far and another wet few days to come..only breached 25c once this year when it reached 25.4c on 26th June 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
42 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

had a ground frost here Sunday ...been a wet summer so far and another wet few days to come..only breached 25c once this year when it reached 25.4c on 26th June 

I always thought Canada had proper seasons ie cold snowy winters and warm sunny summers?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
20 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I always thought Canada had proper seasons ie cold snowy winters and warm sunny summers?

Depends on where you are....London for example has a higher average maximum temperature than Edmonton every month of the year (not really a surprise in winter given the average high there in Dec/Jan is -5/-6c). Go to Toronto and the summer there is hotter, averaging nearly 27c in July compared to 24c for London. A good place to live if you like cold winters and hot summers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
19 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

don't forget Canada is huge country and is the same size as the continent of Europe so has many different climates..for example Vancouver and Victoria in BC have a similar climate to the UK where it rarely snows in winter and can be  cool and wet in summer..i live out on the Prairies which does have frigid winters and mostly warm sunny albeit short summers..however this June has been a stinker cool and wet...3rd wettest June on record ..July has started in the same vein which sucks as Autumn starts here in 6 weeks 

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Depends on where you are....London for example has a higher average maximum temperature than Edmonton every month of the year (not really a surprise in winter given the average high there in Dec/Jan is -5/-6c). Go to Toronto and the summer there is hotter, averaging nearly 27c in July compared to 24c for London. A good place to live if you like cold winters and hot summers.

I would love to live in Canada (just not toronto!) , loved it there when i visited but I guess there is no place like home, as much as the thought of having snow every winter sounds festive I'm sure in reality it can be pretty disruptive trying to get to work, keep warm, drive safely etc.  

16 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

don't forget Canada is huge country and is the same size as the continent of Europe so has many different climates..for example Vancouver and Victoria in BC have a similar climate to the UK where it rarely snows in winter and can be  cool and wet in summer..i live out on the Prairies which does have frigid winters and mostly warm sunny albeit short summers..however this June has been a stinker cool and wet...3rd wettest June on record ..July has started in the same vein which sucks as Autumn starts here in 6 weeks 

How do people keep warm and get to work there in winter?

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I just checked, Edmonton gets roughly 100 hours extra sun a month in summer compared to London, strange

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I just checked, Edmonton gets roughly 100 hours extra sun a month in summer compared to London, strange

This is partly down to latitude - Edmonton is 2 degrees further north than London is....so in the middle of summer they have extra daylight hours available.
It's also in a continental climate zone rather than oceanic like the UK, so less influenced by the seas like the UK is. We just get more cloud and rain due to this.
(455mm vs 615mm for rainfall comparison) 

Also worth noting that Edmonton is 2000ft above sea level....compared to 40ft for London!

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Depends what part of the country you live in.

I was in Toronto from August 11th 1999(day of the total eclipse across Europe), until March 2001.

I experienced very hot weather in August 1999, with daytime temps as high as 34-35c on some days, with lots of blue skies.

Early September was quite hot with temps still hitting high 20s or even 30c, but temps would drop to cool levels by late September with clear cool blue sky days.

Winter was cold with temps between minus 15-20c in the day, with some milder spells of 0c-5c. Again, there were quite a few frosty cold crisp days with lots of clear sunshine.

The one thing I did enjoy about living in Toronto was, the amount of sunny days throughout the year, regardless of whether it was winter or summer, just lifted my mood.

Something I don’t like about living in the U.K. is, the gloomy conditions with more cloudy dull and dreary days, and that can be anytime of the year, with mild weather in the winter, which is usually accompanied by damp and wet conditions.

Summers were also much better in Toronto, but can become very humid at times due to the proximity of Lake Ontario, so it can become uncomfortable at times.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
22 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Depends what part of the country you live in.

I was in Toronto from August 11th 1999(day of the total eclipse across Europe), until March 2001.

I experienced very hot weather in August 1999, with daytime temps as high as 34-35c on some days, with lots of blue skies.

Early September was quite hot with temps still hitting high 20s or even 30c, but temps would drop to cool levels by late September with clear cool blue sky days.

Winter was cold with temps between minus 15-20c in the day, with some milder spells of 0c-5c. Again, there were quite a few frosty cold crisp days with lots of clear sunshine.

The one thing I did enjoy about living in Toronto was, the amount of sunny days throughout the year, regardless of whether it was winter or summer, just lifted my mood.

Something I don’t like about living in the U.K. is, the gloomy conditions with more cloudy dull and dreary days, and that can be anytime of the year, with mild weather in the winter, which is usually accompanied by damp and wet conditions.

Summers were also much better in Toronto, but can become very humid at times due to the proximity of Lake Ontario, so it can become uncomfortable at times.

It's cloudier still up here compared to London, hardly saw the sun today. We once had cotton mills scattered all over Oldham and other adjacent towns because of the rain, and we get our water supply from the rain stored in the reservoirs on the hills nearby. Nice soft water. If I had a pound for the amount of times I travelled across the Pennines into Yorkshire to be greeted with sunshine on that side when on this side it was cloudy and rainy I'd be a rich man.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It's cloudier still up here compared to London, hardly saw the sun today. We once had cotton mills scattered all over Oldham and other adjacent towns because of the rain, and we get our water supply from the rain stored in the reservoirs on the hills nearby. Nice soft water. If I had a pound for the amount of times I travelled across the Pennines into Yorkshire to be greeted with sunshine on that side when on this side it was cloudy and rainy I'd be a rich man.

Yes it’s been a very cool and cloudy day around here, max temp only around 15/16°C and with a strong breeze it didn’t feel very summery. Very drab weather. Felt more like early October. Looks like it’s gonna turn warmer and sunnier by the weekend. I don’t go to Yorkshire very often so I haven’t noticed the difference!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Clear evening, clear overnight, clear early morning and now cloud is returning from the north right on cue... ??‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

And here comes the cloud yet again, after a simply stunning early morning.  Sigh!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, sarahng said:

And here comes the cloud yet again, after a simply stunning early morning.  Sigh!!

same here, common theme where it gets colder after 9am

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, sarahng said:

It is forbidden that we’re allowed more than 30 minutes of sunshine on a summer’s day, as it might cause mass deaths and the complete destruction of civilisation. But at least grey is so trendy, these days. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

15 degrees, overcast and a howling wind blowing down my street... again. Poor man's July. All these notifications crying "heatwave" on my phone. Boy who cried wolf indeed. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

As is often the case, the day started off well with a nice bit of sunshine only to then become mostly cloudy and even overcast at times from around 8am.

Even when we get high pressure during the middle of summer, the UK generally struggles to provide us with more than a couple of consecutive days of sunshine.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2