Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted

East us best in this setup, we've had sunshine with broken cloud and a max of 22.6C today. Dry air too with the humidity down to 41%. Quite pleasant with the breeze.

We need some rain though, yesterday only deposited 1.2mm which dried up within an hour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Like a lot of people quite a poor day today here. Thick cloud all day and a strong breeze. Max 17°C. Just started raining now too. Don’t mind the cooler temps but would have preferred a few sunny spells at least.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
50 minutes ago, iand61 said:

A mate of mine drove water tankers on that job.

not sure where he was filling up but pretty sure it was emptied at Scammonden or Baitings.

Yes it would have been Scammonden .My cousin started work at North west water[now United Utilities] just a year or two after that drought and a few of the guys there had to man the pumps so literally slept on the job and were paid 24 hours,he said some of those guys paid off their mortgages with the money they got that year!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Yes it would have been Scammonden .My cousin started work at North west water[now United Utilities] just a year or two after that drought and a few of the guys there had to man the pumps so literally slept on the job and were paid 24 hours,he said some of those guys paid off their mortgages with the money they got that year!

It shows how desperate the situation was when they close the first lane of the M62 so that tankers can empty water over the dam wall, not that a few thousand tanker load would make much of a difference to a reservoir the size of Scammonden.

nothing so dramatic on this side of the Pennines although they did spend weeks continually pumping water from a decommissioned reservoir over a hill top and into the towns reservoir which was almost empty.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 26/06/2022 at 23:21, Don said:

Are you now thinking August could be dry overall and only becoming wetter later in the month?

I'm not seeing what can kick us out of being dominated by that displaced Azores HP until into August when seasonal wavelengths begin to alter. 

Looking at the output tonight, that HP is stronger than it was even in 2018.

Thoroughly depressing for those of us that actually want some summer storms. 

Look at the below chart- HP stretches from Florida and beyond, right up across the Atlantic. There's little chance to break out of that until we get some forcing from somewhere

image.thumb.png.ac2c391e700f73676cb22886ceb62c98.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Yes it has been very dry here but we have had drier springs than this before including 2020.As for Yorkshire Waters adverts to save water it really makes no sence to me.It would have to be a drought of Biblical proportions to have any drastic measures imposed.After the 1995 drought they connected many of the resevoirs so that water could be pumped from one area to another.That was a direct concequence from My home in Halifax where the supplying resevoirs had almost dried up and they were using hundreds of lorries 24 hours a day to bring water to the area,i was National news.There was even talk of piping water from Kielder which could supply the entire country Forever but am not sure that was only partially implemented.

IMO we're in big trouble if we have a dry autumn/winter. It'll mean we go into next spring and summer hoping for a wet one.

• Like 4

Posted

Another sorry excuse for a day of 'summer'. Cold , blustery, dull. The rest of Europe enjoying a summer. UK locked in to eternal autumn.  But........... hope on the arizon next week. The terribly absent Azores high might well be paying us a visit. And hopefully sticks around until November.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

I'm not seeing what can kick us out of being dominated by that displaced Azores HP until into August when seasonal wavelengths begin to alter. 

Looking at the output tonight, that HP is stronger than it was even in 2018.

Thoroughly depressing for those of us that actually want some summer storms. 

Look at the below chart- HP stretches from Florida and beyond, right up across the Atlantic. There's little chance to break out of that until we get some forcing from somewhere

image.thumb.png.ac2c391e700f73676cb22886ceb62c98.png

Interesting.  Would I be correct in thinking that the HP also stretched across Scandi in 2018, making for the particularly warm pattern then?

Hopefully it will break down to a cooler unsettled pattern by September, although some long range models have been pointing towards a warm anticyclonic September but of course that's still a long way off.

17 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

And hopefully sticks around until November.

No!  End of August please!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

Interesting.  Would I be correct in thinking that the HP also stretched across Scandi in 2018, making for the particularly warm pattern then?

Hopefully it will break down to a cooler unsettled pattern by September, although some long range models have been pointing towards a warm anticyclonic September but of course that's still a long way off.

No!  End of August please!

Well. No. I think we have had basically 6 weeks of crud apart from a few days here and there since mid May. So if we get a decent July August (for a change) and September I will be happy. It can throw it down from October onwards !!!!

• Like 2

Posted

IMO we're in big trouble if we have a dry autumn/winter. It'll mean we go into next spring and summer hoping for a wet one.

Yeah right!  That would be like cold seekers hoping for a mild winter!   

Jokes aside, you're correct!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well. No. I think we have had basically 6 weeks of crud apart from a few days here and there since mid May. So if we get a decent July August (for a change) and September I will be happy. It can throw it down from October onwards !!!!

July and August (8 weeks) can be decent but I do not want a warm summerlike September!  

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I do. We have had hardly any warmth since September 2021. We are owed some !!!

I have my reasons for not wanting a summerlike September but that's something for another time!

No we won’t. Everything balances out, it’s exceptionally rare for more than a 12month ‘dry period’ if summer 2022 doesn’t get ruined the chances I’d only see a mild, wet and snowless late autumn and winter (we can but hope) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

That is exactly what we had in 1995/1996,a very dry winter but 1996 had a very decent summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I agree with others in regards to the strong breeze. I do like a bit of a breeze during summer, but it was a little stronger than what I would have liked for the time of year.

That along with a daytime temp of 19 Celsius and mostly cloudy skies made the day feel rather like late September (excluding the sun strength and long daylight hours of course).

So overall, a pleasant enough day but disapplointing for the back end of June.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted

Horrid first week of July with temps of 16-20C I wonder if it will be a month of anticyclonic gloom like August 2021. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Mmm, a delightful 18°C and masses of beautiful grey cloud blocking the killer sun, yet again. Aren’t we lucky

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

June hasn't been bad truth be told. Currently 0.8c above average - but a bit of a disparity between some warm days and cool nights. If the night time temps had been a bit higher then we could have easily seen something like 1.5c above.

Are we on for the most above average first 6 months of the year ever??

Month      CET      Anomaly

January     4.7           0.8

February   6.9          3.1

March        8.0          2.3

April           9.2          1.3

May           13.1        1.9

June          14. 9        0.8

Every single month above average, with Feb-May exceptionally so. Stattos help!

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

June hasn't been bad truth be told. Currently 0.8c above average - but a bit of a disparity between some warm days and cool nights. If the night time temps had been a bit higher then we could have easily seen something like 1.5c above.

Amazingly its only the 5th warmest first 6 months of the year in the last 15 years! Cumulative CET degrees for Jan-Jun:

2007: 58.4C
2020: 58.0C
2014: 57.4C
2017: 57.2C
2022: 56.8C (with June at 14.9C)

A 14.9C June would mean we'd need a 18.6C July for the warmest first 7 months of the year on record. That one is held by 2014.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Not quite. If June 2022 CET were to hold at 14.9C, 2022 would have a running CET of 9.466C for first 6 months. 2007, 2020, 2014, 2017, 1846 and 1822 all milder.

image.thumb.png.715c38dd0b971bfccc5dfe80fc7f64d5.png

Excluding January, then it's 10.42C which would be 3rd mildest behind 2017 (10.64C) and 1822 (10.44C).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Thanks both for the replies. Amazing that such a warm start to the year has been bettered so many times recently! Looking at those stats it's the coolest June in that series, so the lack of a flaming June has pushed it down!

Posted

I'm intrigued to see what the June stats for Northern Ireland will be like, because as far as I'm concerned, it has been dreadful with only 3 days I would class as proper Summer. Tomorrow looks like a fitting end to diabolical June.

image.thumb.png.0d71416fcf8592028f73f14db830ed14.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

I'm intrigued to see what the June stats for Northern Ireland will be like, because as far as I'm concerned, it has been dreadful with only 3 days I would class as proper Summer. Tomorrow looks like a fitting end to diabolical June.

image.thumb.png.0d71416fcf8592028f73f14db830ed14.png

According to Meteociel, Magilligan in Londonderry has seen only 60.7 hours of sunshine to June 28th. Thomastown in Fermanagh not much better at all with 69.3 hours. That Magilligan total is otherworldly atrocious (Thomastown seems to be vulnerable to such dire sunshine so not a surprise there). I'm almost inclined not to believe it but reading your reports throughout the month, maybe I do!

• Like 2