Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

100% cloud cover again after 2 hours of broken cloud.

Truly abysmal Summer so far .

Have you thought about moving further south or over to us in southern england, your chances of having a decent summer would greatly increase?  I wouldn't cope with endless weeks of cloud, cool temperatures and and rain in the summer, I don't mind it in the winter as I'm a happy hermit then....I do feel for you all in northern areas as beautiful as they are as sun and warmth do help as feel better, it's like a bright warm hug.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

I think you are pretty spot on there!

I am also certain 2007 was when the frequent thundery breakdowns after hot weather in summer suddenly dramatically reduced.

I maybe just imagining things as I was just 11 years old or younger before 2007 but I am certain thundery spells were more frequent and the storms had a higher lightning count in the spring and summer months.

Yeah, the earlier part of the 2000s still had frequent thunderstorms after hot spells. 2001 and 2004 produced some widespread thunderstorms in the London region and the South, also June 2005 produced a severe midweek thunderstorm, but not sure of the date. It was rumbling on after dark, so must have been towards 11 or even midnight.

• Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Is this a standard summer for you or is it worse than usual?

Definitely not. Sunshine levels are below 70% of average.  Not especially wet, but cool and cloudy.

2 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Have you thought about moving further south or over to us in southern england, your chances of having a decent summer would greatly increase?  I wouldn't cope with endless weeks of cloud, cool temperatures and and rain in the summer, I don't mind it in the winter as I'm a happy hermit then....I do feel for you all in northern areas as beautiful as they are as sun and warmth do help as feel better, it's like a bright warm hug.

I used to live in London and lived there during the record August 2003 heatwave. That was a little too much.

I think coastal Essex up to Lincolnshire would be great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m glad I changed my job and went back to being a messenger. I get to walk around London part of the day for my job.

Beats the security job and having to wear a suit.

The tube is the only drawback for me now, as the Central Line is roasting once daytime highs reach 25c or exceed it.

Sounds perfect and you can eat what you like from all the calories you burn, I'm jealous  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

The NW of Northern Ireland and western Scotland are probably the coolest, dullest and wettest parts of the country on average in summer. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Definitely not. Sunshine levels are below 70% of average.  Not especially wet, but cool and cloudy.

I used to live in London and lived there during the record August 2003 heatwave. That was a little too much.

I think coastal Essex up to Lincolnshire would be great.

South west england is usually a few degrees lower than the south east and I'd guess the scenary is similar to ireland so that could be another option

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It would be interesting to see what year saw the change from regular thunderstorm activity after a hot spell, to a period where hot spells are lacking in storms.

I think 2007 was the first summer where this started.

2006 was still thundery during this hot spells in July that year. 

This is perfect, but even I as a heat lover will admit once it touches 29-30c it starts to feel uncomfortable and more humid.

Still, I’m not knocking it, as I’ll gladly take weeks of this weather until September, over dull clag and low 20s.

Yes and thundery weather DURING not just at the end of hot spells seemed more common too. Early morning thunderstorms used to be more common too, followed by another warm or hot day.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Sounds perfect and you can eat what you like from all the calories you burn, I'm jealous  

Yes I can, but I have a slight belly these days lol.

Me and the misses have started intermittent fasting a few days a week, and have experimented with a gluten-free diet.

We still eat bread and pasta obviously, but when we don’t eat it, you notice the difference.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I think it's all about location today. Over here imby, today has turned out to be a reasonably sunny day. There is a little cloud here and there, but not much. 

I quite like days like today; mostly sunny with just the odd touch of cloud here and there. ?️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
45 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Yes and thundery weather DURING not just at the end of hot spells seemed more common too. Early morning thunderstorms used to be more common too, followed by another warm or hot day.

I remember spells like that very fondly. Didn’t happen very often. A thundery breakdown after hot weather usually led to weeks of vile Atlantic dross

Looks like a gorgeous day in London at 28°C, only 19°C here in Prague, oh well ?‍♂️ Better next week ??

• Like 1

It’s a very pleasant 28C now, not sure how anyone can not like this. 

Quick run in a minute now I’ve finished work and then beer time ??

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Personal preference and all, but 28C is far from pleasant for me. 22C perhaps.

It's brought out millions of thunder bugs aswell. 

Posted

Warmest day here since 22nd June.And by a big margin compared to the previous 15 days.  A stonking 26c. How perfectly splendid to feel the warmth on your back and in the air. I even went to work in shorts and a t shirt. Dispensed with the old jumper. So it must have been warm ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Great for me too….though I can see how people would find this too hot. It’s when people start moaning when it’s 21/22c that it’s too hot I find it a bit odd. It’s noticeably hot when it tips into the high 20s. Playing a valley golf course in this today was hard work, but the pint of Peroni at the end of it was heavenly!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I remember spells like that very fondly. Didn’t happen very often. A thundery breakdown after hot weather usually led to weeks of vile Atlantic dross

Looks like a gorgeous day in London at 28°C, only 19°C here in Prague, oh well ?‍♂️ Better next week ??

Ah see that’s what I think happens more now. It seemed easier to have a thundery breakdown, brief respite then a reload not long after.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Peak of 28°C in London today, about 4°C above average. 

I've seen a few comments on here & Twitter about the heatwave criteria being too low, and I have to agree.

28°C is nothing unusual for Londoners anymore.. just a warm day IMO. And I don't wish to normalise climate change but I think the London/SE criteria should be raised to 3 days of 32°C.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I've seen a few comments on here & Twitter about the heatwave criteria being too low, and I have to agree.

28°C is nothing unusual for Londoners anymore.. just a warm day IMO. And I don't wish to normalise climate change but I think the London/SE criteria should be raised to 3 days of 32°C.

28c is still hot, but yes, its nothing out of the ordinary.

Most poor summers have reached 28-30c at some point, even ones during 1985-88.

30-32c is where it starts to feel really hot. 

33 and above is heatwave territory. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
54 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Is that really all it was? I had the Netweather forecast at 29c in Wimbledon late this afternoon but it did feel like 30c in SW19. When travelling from Hampton Court, train station staff wouldn’t let people onto the platforms because there was no shade. It did feel intense. ??‍♀️ But maybe it’s just because I’m a northerner

Edited by RebsAbbo
  • Like 1

Posted

Booked half an hours leave to leave a little early to enjoy the sun and it disappeared behind haze pretty much after that ??‍♀️??‍♀️ At least it was still warm I suppose…it was not the toasty 82f I sat in my short unpaid lunch break however.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow after work ?? 

• Like 1

Posted

Moving into mid July soon and what I call high summer lasting roughly to about the second week of August when we typically see our warmest weather of the year, but not necessarily the driest conditions, indeed once late July arrives our wet season usually starts in earnest lasting through until mid March...

We therefore have a couple of weeks or so window before my expectations for good weather go rapidly downhill, good in terms of sustained dry sunny weather not necessarily heat, indeed humid days are very common through August, but often associated with low cloud and dankness.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Did not expect to see an ugly wall of Stratocumulus today! At least a 2 to 3 hour covering too lol.

Posted

Yes. A bit of a chill in the breeze around this morning but the cloud melted away and now a beautiful summers day. Bit of a breeze. Wispy clouds. Blue skies.Low 20's. Some hysteria on the model thread about not coping with the predicted heat. Same as me not coping during the BFTE in Feb/March 2018 when max temps reached minus 6 . But you just plod on don't you. It's the weather. 

• Like 1

Posted

There is alot of stuff people stuff aren't mentioning in terms of the dangers this could bring. With how dry it's been and the low humidity I fear wildfires would be a big risk, possibly widespread. In addition good luck getting fresh food when all the chillers in supermarkets break down.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
14 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Let's just be real, of course we all love a spell of hot summer weather.

But temperatures approaching 40c are no good for anyone, and I mean anyone. 

So personally I hope we see the charts downgrade, with temps in the low 30s at most. Still hot and everyone can enjoy it who likes the heat. But we don't need that unbearable heat.

Yeah, quite bemused by people saying 40c would feel ok due to low humidity. An oven is low humidity but it still cooks.

Anything above natural body temp is dangerous because there’s no way of your body cooling itself. That’s why there will be a ‘stay indoors’ message if temperatures breach 40c.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
6 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes. A bit of a chill in the breeze around this morning but the cloud melted away and now a beautiful summers day. Bit of a breeze. Wispy clouds. Blue skies.Low 20's. Some hysteria on the model thread about not coping with the predicted heat. Same as me not coping during the BFTE in Feb/March 2018 when max temps reached minus 6 . But you just plod on don't you. It's the weather. 

Never going to happen,  as much as its exciting to see charts next Sunday showing 43c the chances that happening is zero, all the hype today will be gone tomorrow like it did yesterday...

• Like 1