Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted

Lovely spell of weather and the best July spell since 2018 in my region. 

I hope this lasts all the way until late August or early September, with the occasional thunderstorm or cooler day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Much higher levels of UV in the Mediterranean too 

Absolutely, you feel the strength of the sun as soon as you step off the plane. The heat in the UK is actually much more manageable when you're outside and this is one of the reasons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Absolutely, you feel the strength of the sun as soon as you step off the plane. The heat in the UK is actually much more manageable when you're outside and this is one of the reasons.

Yeah. I went to France in 2019, and when it was 30 degrees it felt so much hotter than in the UK. The sun is far more powerful. It was 30 degrees here in June and was relatively comfortable, on the other hand.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

How ridiculous comparing an oven to 40C. when was the last time you cooked anything at 40C?

it's still half way to boiling point practically, and it would be unprecedented in this country

Posted
1 hour ago, Sprites said:

This is what I know as thunderbug hereabouts. It's a type of thrip insect. 

I know what you mean, in the Midlands we call them thunder-flies and they come out in super hot and humid weather, and god help you if you wear yellow  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
32 minutes ago, markyo said:

By far the worst weekend for heat this year. Trapped indoors, will be taking a bank loan out to pay for the ac usage!

Why don’t you power your ac using solar panels?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Yeah. I went to France in 2019, and when it was 30 degrees it felt so much hotter than in the UK. The sun is far more powerful. It was 30 degrees here in June and was relatively comfortable, on the other hand.

Depends on where in France though. Latitude-wise, even the south of France still isn't that far south (around 43 degrees north I believe) whereas somewhere like Cyprus is about 34 degrees north so considerably stronger than even the south of France. It's definitely noticeably stronger in the south of France than it is in the UK though yes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Lovely spell of weather and the best July spell since 2018 in my region. 

I hope this lasts all the way until late August or early September, with the occasional thunderstorm or cooler day. 

Not sure it beats July hot spells post 2018 just yet? It may well do by the end of next week though.

July 2021 had 8 consecutive days over 25°c, with 4 of those above 30°c. July 2019 also had 15 days above 25°c between the 4th and 29th including the record breaking day on the 25th when it hit 38°c.

Posted
11 minutes ago, danm said:

Not sure it beats July hot spells post 2018 just yet? It may well do by the end of next week though.

July 2021 had 8 consecutive days over 25°c, with 4 of those above 30°c. July 2019 also had 15 days above 25°c between the 4th and 29th including the record breaking day on the 25th when it hit 38°c.

It doesn’t beat 2018, but will probably end up being the nicest sunny spell in July since July 2018.

Humidity has been low, despite the hot sunshine. Probably because there’s been a breeze in the mix. 

I didn’t like the 2019 spell, because it was humid and more cloudy and hazy. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Am just hoping it doesnt hit 40 deg as there will only be myself and a couple of others left to make comments on Netweather as all the others will have melted.Lovely here today,21 deg and a fresh breeze.!

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I was in Melbourne ashes 2006/2007. And boxing day 2006 was the 2nd coldest boxing day in history. I went to the test match at MCG in a t shirt jumper and coat (which i didn't expect to use again until back at Heathrow). It was freezing for about 5 days. Irony was going up to airport to fly to Sydney it was back up to 30c light winds and clear blue skies!!

It happens frequently in Melbourne- there have been a few cold days for the Boxing Day Test- I think the one last year was really chilly if I remember rightly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
12 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

A bit ironic a Russian wins Wimbledon . Mr Putin will be delighted.  

She’s from Kazakhstan?

Posted
1 hour ago, Lincs Observation said:

I’m not quite sure I would agree with you on this, maybe locally but here in Lincolnshire and Also east anglia we have not seen any appreciable rain in many weeks. The fields in our area have been using irrigation rigs for some weeks now. In fact the current rainfall averages recently from the metoffice bare this out. Recently breezes are whipping up the dust off the surrounding land and the trees are having die back of the leaves. 

LO

Yes am over in Glos, we had 9mm last Sat and quite a few rain events. I see a lot have started combining over the East side, winter Barley, none have started over here, reckon a week or two yet. It always amazes me how different the weather is in such a relatively short distance, guess topography and a maritime climate lead to this

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It happens frequently in Melbourne- there have been a few cold days for the Boxing Day Test- I think the one last year was really chilly if I remember rightly.

Yes. They say Melbourne can have 4 seasons in one day. Wind from the north desert and 40c. Wind from the south and Antarctic and 15c. A bit like UK. Wind from NE in July 15c. Wind from SE Europe (2003) 38c. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
54 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Why don’t you power your ac using solar panels?

I know, buts its the initial outlay, live on my own on min wage. No grants available as i work and own my house. If i livid on benefits and a council owned property different story.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

How ridiculous comparing an oven to 40C. when was the last time you cooked anything at 40C?

Sorry isn't that just the same when you say its freezing at just below 15c? You can't freeze at those temps.....

Posted
2 hours ago, danm said:

Not sure I’d be planning to go in a caravan with that level of heat. 

Yea! All blinking paid for though.ill see just how mad it gets and decide midweek 

• Like 1

Posted

Just got back from a holiday in Cyprus and todays lovely summers day feels nice and cool compared to that. The strength of the sun is truly on another level. The air conditioned buildings and outdoor showers in Cyprus are an absolute godsend, it was 40C+ consistently. Heat like that over here would be horrid!

The sun does set really quick over there at this time of year though compared to here though which was noticeable. The UV levels drop markedly after around 3pm onwards. 

Edited by Summer18

Posted
1 hour ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

I've been taking advantage of 'hybrid working' and working in the garden on nearly every sunny day lately, and getting pretty tanned along with it! Not burned once due to good old Aldi sunscreen (very reasonably priced too). I can only hope that this extensive exposure to the sun over the last few weeks means that the potential extreme heat affects me a bit less. 

Although I'm not looking forward to my next two office days in Winchester as they're this Monday (hot) and the following Monday (potentially even hotter). 

Edit: sorry, thought I was in the chat thread, not the moans! Oh well, it's all summer chat either way

Where you going in Winchester?

Posted

I remember being in Turkey and walking around in a very dry 42 degrees.

I did not notice my skin ‘bubbling’ like some of the more imaginative people in here. 

Having said that if we breach the 40 degree barrier it will feel rather unpleasant if I’m stuck in the office. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
11 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Where you going in Winchester?

EII Court (HCC buildings). I've worked there for six years now, but since COVID it's down to 1-day a week, if that, so took the opportunity to move back to my homeplace, the IOW and buy our first house given my fiancé also works from home primarily! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

EII Court (HCC buildings). I've worked there for six years now, but since COVID it's down to 1-day a week, if that, so took the opportunity to move back to my homeplace, the IOW and buy our first house given my fiancé also works from home primarily! 

I worked in there too a long time back. Pre kids! Close to train station too

• Like 1