Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
2 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Winter had its chance.  Ready to soak up some sun rays with a cold pint in hand

Yeah I agree.

Winter had its chance, and we still had to tolerate many days with cool and damp conditions.

I hope it doesn’t go back to the low 10s again. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
15 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Given we've had a winter with virtually no snow for the vast majority, can't you just let those of us who like snow have a couple of days of potential to see it fall?

We get it, you like hot baking sun.

Sorry but I think the majority of people need and want to see sun and some warmth to boost the moral of this country given all the negativity that's been offloaded on us for 2 years straight not to mention we don't really want to still have to heat our homes in Spring given that it'll now cost an arm and a leg.  Winter had it's chance, give us a beak....It's been lovely all this sun, could still do with being a  couple degrees warmer as 17c still has a slight tinge of coolness to it but beggars can't be choosers....Hopefully April brings some proper warmth and sustained sun with it

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
34 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

we don't really want to still have to heat our homes in Spring given that it'll now cost an arm and a leg

Conversely those who need to don't want to have to cool their homes in Spring with aircon. That is even more expensive! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Conversely those who need to don't want to have to cool their homes in Spring with aircon. That is even more expensive! 

in my experience it never gets hot enough in spring in the UK to warrant the need to use A/C..here although i have A/C built into my house i rarely use it before July ..some summers i dont use it at all

• Like 1

Posted

It's been a lovely week of weather.

I swear at this point of the year, I often feel at my worst physically - my skin feels grey and colourless and my hair lank and dead - so to feel the sun on my face has been magic.

Already depressed about the prospect of returning to damp and cold though:(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I wouldn't know about air con I just open the windows and door and turn on the fan by the window

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I wouldn't know about air con I just open the windows and door and turn on the fan by the window

Suppose i'm very much in minority, i work in 30c plus temps all year round, with onset of warmer weather the temp increase is none linear, ie 1c extra ambient is not 1c extra in the decontamination rooms i'm in, it can be 3 of 4 times that. Hence the aircon use at home, i have to have it just to help drop my core temp at nights. Dreading this year with the price rises!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Both are expensive now, a massive rip off. However, I imagine the need for air conditioning in the UK is dwarfed by the need for heating. It’s not been an ‘epic’ winter but it’s still been dark, chilly and damp for over 3 months with a need for heating, coats and warm clothing. Personally, I’m so over it and need some warm sun ☀️ Roll on my favourite time of year when everything starts bursting into life.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Suppose i'm very much in minority, i work in 30c plus temps all year round, with onset of warmer weather the temp increase is none linear, ie 1c extra ambient is not 1c extra in the decontamination rooms i'm in, it can be 3 of 4 times that. Hence the aircon use at home, i have to have it just to help drop my core temp at nights. Dreading this year with the price rises!

I hear you, I work in a hospital and in the summer it is like hell, especially because we will most likely still be in masks this summer because of the powers that be in infection control *face palm*  It just makes it almost unbeareable ....we've never been able to have air con because of infection control rules either.

1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Both are expensive now, a massive rip off. However, I imagine the need for air conditioning in the UK is dwarfed by the need for heating. It’s not been an ‘epic’ winter but it’s still been dark, chilly and damp for over 3 months with a need for heating, coats and warm clothing. Personally, I’m so over it and need some warm sun ☀️ Roll on my favourite time of year when everything starts bursting into life.

I can imagine it's useful to have in the south east where it seems to consistently be the hottest area of the UK in summer 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

in my experience it never gets hot enough in spring in the UK to warrant the need to use A/C..here although i have A/C built into my house i rarely use it before July ..some summers i dont use it at all

SE Britain gets warm enough for it at times during the summer months, but usually only for short periods. Nights are usually much cooler in spring anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I can imagine it's useful to have in the south east where it seems to consistently be the hottest area of the UK in summer 

Yes, the SE does get warmer than the rest of the UK so air conditioning is understandable, but I guess most people still wouldn’t need it all that often. 

Posted
42 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I hear you, I work in a hospital and in the summer it is like hell, especially because we will most likely still be in masks this summer because of the powers that be in infection control *face palm*  It just makes it almost unbeareable ....we've never been able to have air con because of infection control rules either.

You have my total sympathy and respect, i'm still masked up and its tough, but dealing with patients and coping with the heat and masks is so hard, FFP3 masks are bad enough but in surgery the dental nurses use P3 and above, how they cope i have no idea, i've seen young dental nurses come out and nearly collapse last summer, their faces swollen and red from the mask use. 

The country owes folk like yourself a massive thanks still, their lives are near normal yours is still not.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

For me Summer is a nightmare, toughest conditions for working in, sleepless nights, early sunrises breaking your sleep, severe hayfever. The list goes on. Aircon is essential not a luxury just like heating is for yourself, i could live without heating in the UK easily, last winter had it on a couple of hours half a dozen times, just not cold enough now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Time for an 'oblique' and preemptive moan, methinks:

If I had my way, we'd be about to see a March like the one we've had followed by April like 2011, a May akin to 1973? June & July would be similar to 1975, and August like 1995. Were those to be followed by a September 2006 redux, I'd be more than happy. @markyo would not!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

For me Summer is a nightmare, toughest conditions for working in, sleepless nights, early sunrises breaking your sleep, severe hayfever. The list goes on. Aircon is essential not a luxury just like heating is for yourself, i could live without heating in the UK easily, last winter had it on a couple of hours half a dozen times, just not cold enough now. 

Yeah if I was living alone I wouldn't have the heating on to be honest unless there is a significant cold spell which is a rare thing these days. This winter when the heating was off the lounge was around 17-18C which is fine for me dressed in normal clothes. The missus however would rather live in a sauna and above 20C 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Time for an 'oblique' and preemptive moan, methinks:

If I had my way, we'd be about to see a March like the one we've had followed by April like 2011, a May akin to 1973? June & July would be similar to 1975, and August like 1995. Were those to be followed by a September 2006 redux, I'd be more than happy. @markyo would not!

No........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I think all 4 seasons are beautiful in their own ways and I see pros and cons with each one. The main con with spring and summer is that the levels of selfishness tend to be more noticeable (noisy neighbours and litter louts in public parks and beaches for example) as well as the pesky wasps and hayfever. But at the same time, temperatures are often pleasant, vitamin D is abundant and I like seeing nature coming back into life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

TV forecast has eights and nines for next week, sounds like a potential sleet fest for Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yeah if I was living alone I wouldn't have the heating on to be honest unless there is a significant cold spell which is a rare thing these days. This winter when the heating was off the lounge was around 17-18C which is fine for me dressed in normal clothes. The missus however would rather live in a sauna and above 20C 

Went to do a job in Warrington today,the guy let me in and left.I had to go upstairs into a flat to access a fan and the guy had left the heating on full blast,i dont think i have ever felt so hot in a house before,it was horrendous,just left on all day.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

I can understand why summer is difficult for your job. And agree that those in the NHS have it tough at times. I don’t heat this place that much in winter, an hour in the morning and evening is enough. Czech properties are generally better insulated, so the warmth stays in longer.
The best thing about warmer weather is being able to relax outdoors, can’t beat it. So I’m looking forward to the warmer months. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
35 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Went to do a job in Warrington today,the guy let me in and left.I had to go upstairs into a flat to access a fan and the guy had left the heating on full blast,i dont think i have ever felt so hot in a house before,it was horrendous,just left on all day.

Don't know how people can do it with soaring energy prices plus it's a total waste of energy given it was warm outside today and should be on the inside as most of the country has been basking in sunshine the last few days. The only places that should have heating on is probably care homes and in some instances hospitals.

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Lol it wasn’t last year. 2021 was a rotten summer in London. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol it wasn’t last year. 2021 was a rotten summer in London. 

Snap here in the southwest….I think last year the north faired a lot better in summer which was very strange

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
11 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Snap here in the southwest….I think last year the north faired a lot better in summer which was very strange

I liked last summer, first time in years I didn't feel like I was constantly being fried by the sun.

• Like 1