Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

It's not very often you can sit in your garden sunbathing, than the next minute run for shelter as a snow storm arrives... But goes to show that being the Best of British applies to the Weather as well.....

• Like 1

Posted

We should be starting plume season, but alas, watered down northerlies and bitter windchill with cold rain/sleet for all to enjoy 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

We should be starting plume season, but alas, watered down northerlies and bitter windchill with cold rain/sleet for all to enjoy 

Being Hampshire location I wouldn't expect to see much if any snow on a Northerly at any time of year, never mind Spring. 

We did quite well up here in Yorkshire yesterday, Snow on and off all day with temperatures not that much above freezing. Had another dusting overnight as well. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bradowl said:

Being Hampshire location I wouldn't expect to see much if any snow on a Northerly at any time of year, never mind Spring. 

We did quite well up here in Yorkshire yesterday, Snow on and off all day with temperatures not that much above freezing. Had another dusting overnight as well. 

Indeed - it’s just a nuisance cold. Did see snow falling a few times yesterday however. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

yuck, the sun may be out but that wind ruins any kind of pleasantry u could have outside, once that wind is gone it may finally be nice to go out but for now i'm a hermit  

Posted

It’s cold and windy here but it’s worse in northern France and Germany. It’s full blown winter like snow there and maybe an ice day in spots!

Posted
4 hours ago, Bradowl said:

Suspect many places seen more snow in last 24 hours than last 2 months or so!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Bradowl said:

Lived in Portsmouth 62 years since birth seen it snow and lay on the ground many times in April.7inches Easter day 2008 yesterday we had several snow flurries and two heavier snow showers. I know we get a lot more snow here on a regular basis that what the southwest corner does but I'm literally away from the northern section of the city it doesn't hang around very long nowadays

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

CFS really ramping up the July UK trough scenario. June not looking bad though currently.

A lot of N blocking shown generally- though that doesn’t necessarily have to work out wet for the UK. We’ll see.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
On 31/03/2022 at 15:24, Freeze said:

As much as I'm not fussed about snow and cold temps this time of year, it would've at least been nice to see a brief flurry of snow or hail or something, just to make sure the stuff still exists. This area sure does have it's own microclimate as its always a complete contrast to the rest of the country, its not Even that cold here at Almost 10c and the sun is very warm.

That wind is very cold, even in the sunshine. I was walking by the Thames earlier, and the windchill was raw. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

That wind is very cold, even in the sunshine. I was walking by the Thames earlier, and the windchill was raw. 

Yeah today has been cold but yesterday I missed all the showers so the temps rose to nearly 10c still cold but warm in comparison to other areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Suspect many places seen more snow in last 24 hours than last 2 months or so!

First bit of settling snow since end of November here. 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
On 31/03/2022 at 19:20, ANYWEATHER said:

It's not very often you can sit in your garden sunbathing, than the next minute run for shelter as a snow storm arrives... But goes to show that being the Best of British applies to the Weather as well.....

Ditto here on the Sussex coast.

Have to chuckle at some of the best snowy/ blizzard like conditions arriving on April fools day after this car crash of a Winter!

My journey to work this afternoon took me from Sussex to London via the M25.

We even had a speed restriction due to blowing snow that was settling on the edges of the motorway on the Kent section!

Notable drop in temperature under heavier snow showers, from 7c down to 2c.

Some beautiful skyscapes seen today,again it has been a while..

Two days of falling snow in Sussex.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I lean towards Crew here at this early stage. Given the persistence of La Nina and -QBO in the lower atmosphere I suspect we are looking at the worst since 2012 at this early juncture (for Q3).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
5 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I lean towards Crew here at this early stage. Given the persistence of La Nina and -QBO in the lower atmosphere I suspect we are looking at the worst since 2012 at this early juncture (for Q3).

2012 here was mostly very warm dry and sunny right through to the end of September

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Please, if anyone can show any evidence, concerning their consistently correct seasonal forecasts, now is your time to present it. 

Every summer, someone 'predicts' the worst since 2012; every winter, someone predicts the 'best' since 1963 . . . and they never materialise.

Anywho, the weather will just do what it does: make us all look like idiots!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

2012 here was mostly very warm dry and sunny right through to the end of September

Interesting, I'm guessing the -AO saw heights north enough to settle the weather for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Interesting, I'm guessing the -AO saw heights north enough to settle the weather for you.

i was living in Calgary in 2012 and at that time it was the second hottest summer on record

Posted

Well I have just caught up on my local BBC forecast for next week and suffice to say I would rather a continuation of cold, plenty of sunshine with a wintry shower risk than it turning milder with rain risk every day!!

Posted

Not really all that bothered about a stunning April. In my experience a beautiful April is normally a forerunner of a rubbish summer.  I would rather all the nice warm stuff come in June July and August when it means something.  

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Please, if anyone can show any evidence, concerning their consistently correct seasonal forecasts, now is your time to present it. 

Every summer, someone 'predicts' the worst since 2012; every winter, someone predicts the 'best' since 1963 . . . and they never materialise.

And if September is very warm it spells doom for the following winter .

I bet the odds will be against us if we are hoping for a mild winter next year, with prices going up. It would be Sod’s law.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Yes not bothered about summer currently however recent jubilee years have been pretty awful, in fact they have generally represented some of the worst and coolest summers of recent decades. In fact I don’t think there’s a been a decent summer ending in a two in way over a 100yrs so I guess the bar should be set very low, ugh which I had bothered looking now. 

1982 - Cool at best, no notable warm spells, in fact the max temps was just 26.8C on the 17th Sept..

1992 - A poor summer, June was average, July / August really poor and didn’t even average 21C. No warm spells and max temp was very low again at just 27.4C in mid June. 

2002 - Really poor first half, wet and cool all the way, August was average but no days over 25C and the summer max again here was just 27.4C on July 29C

2012 - June was just beyond words, only 5days reached 20C, max was just 23C which was the only day above 21C, 133mm of rain, just over a 100hrs of sun. July in the most part was a complete washout, 137mm of rain, four days towards the end made 25C with a max of 29C made it the only reasonably warm day of summer. August was less bad but still just below average.

Posted
17 hours ago, Andrew Ferguson said:

Lived in Portsmouth 62 years since birth seen it snow and lay on the ground many times in April.7inches Easter day 2008 yesterday we had several snow flurries and two heavier snow showers. I know we get a lot more snow here on a regular basis that what the southwest corner does but I'm literally away from the northern section of the city it doesn't hang around very long nowadays

Appoliges. Last bit should have said away from the northern parts of portsmouth(where I live)  it doesn't hang around long nowadays.although I'm old enough  to have seen the sea freeze several times in 60s 70s and 80s and snow not melting for weeks on end even down southsea

• Like 1

My heating has been set to just 16C as not been here since Thursday evening. Came home and I’ve ‘used’ £9 in gas in just 30hrs under my new tariff. I live in a modest bungalow that’s just 20yrs old, I never want to see another frost or flake of snow again.