Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Personally, I’m hopeful of an interesting spring weather-wise. Would love to start seeing lots of convection and we could do with a couple of wetter months here in C Europe. As long as there are some warmer spells mixed in, had more than enough of cold.

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes even that warm spell last week it was beginning to hit 20C in the bedroom for the first time since probably late September, for me 20C is uncomfortable territory with a duvet on. The room is west facing as well so gets the sun all afternoon unfortunately. That week long hot spell last July it was 29C on a few nights in the bedroom which is not nice at all. An ordinary fan doesn't do a thing or having the window open if there's no breeze. Might as well have slept in the garden or in a tent in the woods nearby, would have been much cooler! I've got a portable AC unit now ready for any hot weather this year. Probably be a 2012 washout now 

We still had the heating on last week, during the evenings. Still felt chilly after 4pm, despite the nice warm sunshine. 18-20c feels comfortably warm, but not enough to feel hot. And anything in the 15-17c region is still chilly for me. Mild for winter yes, but not for mid to late March. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes even that warm spell last week it was beginning to hit 20C in the bedroom for the first time since probably late September, for me 20C is uncomfortable territory with a duvet on. The room is west facing as well so gets the sun all afternoon unfortunately. That week long hot spell last July it was 29C on a few nights in the bedroom which is not nice at all. An ordinary fan doesn't do a thing or having the window open if there's no breeze. Might as well have slept in the garden or in a tent in the woods nearby, would have been much cooler! I've got a portable AC unit now ready for any hot weather this year. Probably be a 2012 washout now 

Either my bedroom is extremely well insulated or unusually warm, it was up at 25.6C last week with the temp outside at 16C. During the hottest days in the summer which up here tend to be around 26/27C it's quite regularly up at around 33/34C in the bedroom. Anything above about 20C outside brings uncomfortable conditions upstairs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
7 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Honestly getting bored of seeing people just pointing out more cold or cherry picked cold or looking for cold cold cold cold in the model output thread now. It's just downright depressing and totally boring. Change the flippin' record.

Edit: Every single person who is actively looking for or cherry picking cold in the model thread is going on my ignore list. Nothing personal, just want to read some objective and interesting posts, not biased rubbish. Thanks 

There you go matey ,I'm cherry picking warm charts ,won't happen but at least I won't be on your ignore list

h850t850eu-10.webp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Honestly getting bored of seeing people just pointing out more cold or cherry picked cold or looking for cold cold cold cold in the model output thread now. It's just downright depressing and totally boring. Change the flippin' record.

Edit: Every single person who is actively looking for or cherry picking cold in the model thread is going on my ignore list. Nothing personal, just want to read some objective and interesting posts, not biased rubbish. Thanks 

Fortunately for you (and me) the cold always gets downgraded in spring. Unfortunately that often just results in rather pants conditions but hey ho.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Fed up of being cold.  Just want those 20°C+ to start showing up later this month and into May.  Hoping we get a load of 30°C days this summer, perfect for the beer garden

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
6 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Fed up of being cold.  Just want those 20°C+ to start showing up later this month and into May.  Hoping we get a load of 30°C days this summer, perfect for the beer garden

Nice for sitting in beer garden but unpleasant for working in, 24'c my preferred maximum temperature when working. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Nice sunny morning today although its being hindered a bit by the "air show". Too many plane trails just sticking about in the sky and passing through the sunshine .

Posted
5 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Nice sunny morning today although its being hindered a bit by the "air show". Too many plane trails just sticking about in the sky and passing through the sunshine .

Although some make beautiful Scottish flags in the sky.

20220401_104353.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
18 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Nice for sitting in beer garden but unpleasant for working in, 24'c my preferred maximum temperature when working. 

Yep agree with uncomfortable for working.  Unfortunately we so often get very humid hot days here.  30°C and 20% humidity is very pleasant but as you get closer to 50% it gets rather sticky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

lovely sunny morning, too bad it isn't as warm outside as it is inside 

Posted
40 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

I can’t wait, and I’m with you on that. I want a hot sunny summer, instead of long periods of cloudy dull weather which ruined summer 2021, and some of 2020 for that matter. Cloudy dull conditions seem to be a side affect of climate change during our summers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Easter in range now on GFS and almost every run seems to have a couple of fairly deep lows barrelling across the UK. Hopefully time to change but the omens aren’t currently great for a good extended bank holiday weekend. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Easter in range now on GFS and almost every run seems to have a couple of fairly deep lows barrelling across the UK. Hopefully time to change but the omens aren’t currently great for a good extended bank holiday weekend. 

GFS though, I would have been worried if it had said warm and sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Hadn't been looking at the models for a few days so I thought that, with a nice red sunset last night, they might have changed and either the northerly was locked-in for a while or the high pressure might be moving in.

No such luck though and Atlantic grot has moved in overnight, seemingly from nowhere. Only the subtlest of hints of very light cirrus in the distance last night (around sunset) but the red sky indicated (to me) that there might be dry air some distance downwind.

Now a few days in which we can experience autumn in April without having to travel to Melbourne or New Zealand. At least the GFS 00Z then shows another northerly late in the week, and a possible build of pressure for next weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
5 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Hadn't been looking at the models for a few days so I thought that, with a nice red sunset last night, they might have changed and either the northerly was locked-in for a while or the high pressure might be moving in.

No such luck though and Atlantic grot has moved in overnight, seemingly from nowhere. Only the subtlest of hints of very light cirrus in the distance last night (around sunset) but the red sky indicated (to me) that there might be dry air some distance downwind.

Now a few days in which we can experience autumn in April without having to travel to Melbourne or New Zealand. At least the GFS 00Z then shows another northerly late in the week, and a possible build of pressure for next weekend.

I'm hoping it's correct, a sunny warm bank holiday is what we all need to be honest, fingers crossed

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
10 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I'm hoping it's correct, a sunny warm bank holiday is what we all need to be honest, fingers crossed

Quite a contrast between the Met Office text forecast and the GFS 00Z, that's for sure. An extraordinarily unseasonable suggestion of zonality lasting all month versus a good deal of fine, warm weather after this coming weekend. Critical thing seems to be the strength of a ridge building after the next northerly versus a low over Biscay.

Having said that I do find it hard to reconcile the suggestion of above-average temperatures in the south (on the MetO forecast) with the endless zonality the text forecast suggests. "Atlantic" airmasses are almost always average-to-cool this time of year as in spring, the sea is cold and any early warmth arrives from somewhere between south and east.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
30 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Quite a contrast between the Met Office text forecast and the GFS 00Z, that's for sure. An extraordinarily unseasonable suggestion of zonality lasting all month versus a good deal of fine, warm weather after this coming weekend. Critical thing seems to be the strength of a ridge building after the next northerly versus a low over Biscay.

Having said that I do find it hard to reconcile the suggestion of above-average temperatures in the south (on the MetO forecast) with the endless zonality the text forecast suggests. "Atlantic" airmasses are almost always average-to-cool this time of year as in spring, the sea is cold and any early warmth arrives from somewhere between south and east.

image.thumb.png.da89798763b4025ebe9bd2a9db0fbddf.pngimage.thumb.png.238365189c577874cb191cd128983e9c.png

Worth nothing that the 00z GFS op run is an outlier today - settled and above average temps.

image.thumb.png.d7f738edd1edd1e36a38049ab1de1085.pngimage.thumb.png.a3044f04f25ab07f806cd69c6e0a2caa.png

Nothing particularly warm or settled on the cards for the first half of April. Western areas could see some heavier rain at times, generally 10-30mm of rain in central and eastern areas over the next 10 days.

Sadly a combination of La Nina digging its heels, a low AAM state and the early final warming now allowing plenty of high pressure at higher latitudes isn't a great recipe for the UK.

Edited by mb018538

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Checking in after a while. What can I say we had 26 consecutive Frost days in March,Saturday Tmax 4C and Sunday similar,this morning 3cm of Snow. It was snowing under -2°C with dew point -4°C, some parametres for April. So much for models that showed Sea of Red at the end of February for spring. March ended with -0.6 to -1.3 anomally, first half of April will be about -2 anomally❄️

IMG_20220404_082540.jpg

IMG_20220404_104808.jpg

Posted

Why a very windy day with gusts over 50mph here is described by METO as "breezy" in their text forecast? Am I missing something? Just over a month ago they were issuing yellow warnings for the same conditions. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.da89798763b4025ebe9bd2a9db0fbddf.pngimage.thumb.png.238365189c577874cb191cd128983e9c.png

Worth nothing that the 00z GFS op run is an outlier today - settled and above average temps.

image.thumb.png.d7f738edd1edd1e36a38049ab1de1085.pngimage.thumb.png.a3044f04f25ab07f806cd69c6e0a2caa.png

Nothing particularly warm or settled on the cards for the first half of April. Western areas could see some heavier rain at times, generally 10-30mm of rain in central and eastern areas over the next 10 days.

Sadly a combination of La Nina digging its heels, a low AAM state and the early final warming now allowing plenty of high pressure at higher latitudes isn't a great recipe for the UK.

The near continent seems even worse, which suggests some disagreement between whether it will in fact be zonality or some other setup such as a continental low.

Surely it's time we have a proper season now, rather than the dull, damp, bland Atlantic nothingness which seems to have dominated the weather even more than usual for the past two to three years. Winter 2019/20 was unspeakably bad. Summers 2020 and 2021 were non-summers. Winter 2020/21 was cold at times but horrendously dull and wet. Winter 2021/22 was a non-winter. And now, apart from the past two weeks or so, we're now getting a non-spring? Hope not.

Just hoping the similarities with 1989 that this year has exhibited thus far will continue for the next six months.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

The near continent seems even worse, which suggests some disagreement between whether it will in fact be zonality or some other setup such as a continental low.

Surely it's time we have a proper season now, rather than the dull, damp, bland Atlantic nothingness which seems to have dominated the weather even more than usual for the past two to three years. Winter 2019/20 was unspeakably bad. Summers 2020 and 2021 were non-summers. Winter 2020/21 was cold at times but horrendously dull and wet. Winter 2021/22 was a non-winter. And now, apart from the past two weeks or so, we're now getting a non-spring? Hope not.

Just hoping the similarities with 1989 that this year has exhibited thus far will continue for the next six months.

I agree with you but spring/summer 2021 were pretty good seasons in the south?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
6 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I agree with you but spring/summer 2021 were pretty good seasons in the south?

Spring wasn't great last year. March was quite unsettled, April was colder than March with relentless cold anticyclonic conditions, and May was rubbish too (coldest since 1996). Summer wasn't great - though July ended up the fifth warmest on record it was also very wet in places. Especially the south. It was one of the rare occasions where the south didn't get the best of the summer conditions las year!

Posted
27 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Spring wasn't great last year. March was quite unsettled, April was colder than March with relentless cold anticyclonic conditions, and May was rubbish too (coldest since 1996). Summer wasn't great - though July ended up the fifth warmest on record it was also very wet in places. Especially the south. It was one of the rare occasions where the south didn't get the best of the summer conditions las year!

Sorry, I meant the previous year 2020, I was well jealous of all my neighbours being paid to stay home sitting in their gardens enjoying the warmth and sun ordering countless items from amazon etc whilst I had to go work

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Thanks 1