Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

My heating has been set to just 16C as not been here since Thursday evening. Came home and I’ve ‘used’ £9 in gas in just 30hrs under my new tariff. I live in a modest bungalow that’s just 20yrs old, I never want to see another frost or flake of snow again.

The days of leaving your heating on to heat a empty house are over,  you have entered the age of the jumper i suspect!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

Yes not bothered about summer currently however recent jubilee years have been pretty awful, in fact they have generally represented some of the worst and coolest summers of recent decades. In fact I don’t think there’s a been a decent summer ending in a two in way over a 100yrs so I guess the bar should be set very low, ugh which I had bothered looking now. 

1982 - Cool at best, no notable warm spells, in fact the max temps was just 26.8C on the 17th Sept..

1992 - A poor summer, June was average, July / August really poor and didn’t even average 21C. No warm spells and max temp was very low again at just 27.4C in mid June. 

2002 - Really poor first half, wet and cool all the way, August was average but no days over 25C and the summer max again here was just 27.4C on July 29C

2012 - June was just beyond words, only 5days reached 20C, max was just 23C which was the only day above 21C, 133mm of rain, just over a 100hrs of sun. July in the most part was a complete washout, 137mm of rain, four days towards the end made 25C with a max of 29C made it the only reasonably warm day of summer. August was less bad but still just below average.

I think 82 had some hot weather in early June, with storms, and more hot weather in early August, but it wasn’t anything special. An improvement on 80 and 81, but warm at times and changeable. 

1992 started off nice and warm, but went downhill in July, we had a nice sunny May and June that year, and lots of thunderstorms. August was a disappointment.

2002 was very dull and dreary. We had some hot days in June, but it was a forgettable summer.

2012 was vile. 

14 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Not really all that bothered about a stunning April. In my experience a beautiful April is normally a forerunner of a rubbish summer.  I would rather all the nice warm stuff come in June July and August when it means something.  

Yeah I agree with that. But, it’s still nice to get some warm sunny days in April. 

Posted
58 minutes ago, markyo said:

The days of leaving your heating on to heat a empty house are over,  you have entered the age of the jumper i suspect!

Some of us need to leave the heating on to keep the flat warm, and stop it from becoming damp. This is the problem we face in our current property.

Still have the heating on now, and it’s very cold outside. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
16 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Please, if anyone can show any evidence, concerning their consistently correct seasonal forecasts, now is your time to present it. 

Every summer, someone 'predicts' the worst since 2012; every winter, someone predicts the 'best' since 1963 . . . and they never materialise.

Anywho, the weather will just do what it does: make us all look like idiots!

Worst since 2012 is actually not difficult to achieve. 13 was golden, 14 a good first half, 15 a good June, 16 a good second half, 17 a good first half, 18 golden, 19 a good core, 20 a good second half, 21 a good first half.

Weve gone a decade without a persistently cool, wet summer. I can't say this summer 'will' be poor but I can say I think theres a higher chance than recent years.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
52 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Some of us need to leave the heating on to keep the flat warm, and stop it from becoming damp. This is the problem we face in our current property.

I get your point totally, some folk have to have the heating on both for dampness problems and comfort. I understand your pain  with the cost. I'm in the same boat but inversely, not had heating on since turn of the year, for me just not cold enough but come summer i will be like yourself is now  having a massive increase in energy bills just to run the aircon, i have to have this on, can't cope without it just like you are with heating. Tough times for us all i'm afraid.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yep, setting the temp to 17C is normally basically off and the min you let a house really cool down too to prevent damp problems, especially if you live in a valley that in winter has little light like me.  

Posted

Don't need air con in UK, climate is not extreme enough, just throwing more money down the drain. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Honestly getting bored of seeing people just pointing out more cold or cherry picked cold or looking for cold cold cold cold in the model output thread now. It's just downright depressing and totally boring. Change the flippin' record.

Edit: Every single person who is actively looking for or cherry picking cold in the model thread is going on my ignore list. Nothing personal, just want to read some objective and interesting posts, not biased rubbish. Thanks 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Don't need air con in UK, climate is not extreme enough, just throwing more money down the drain. 

Depends on the individual, we all feel temps differently.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
17 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Honestly getting bored of seeing people just pointing out more cold or cherry picked cold or looking for cold cold cold cold in the model output thread now. It's just downright depressing and totally boring. Change the flippin' record.

Edit: Every single person who is actively looking for or cherry picking cold in the model thread is going on my ignore list. Nothing personal, just want to read some objective and interesting posts, not biased rubbish. Thanks 

Might be a very quiet forum for you then 

• Like 5

Posted
39 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Might be a very quiet forum for you then 

Oh yes it is! The model output thread's just a bunch of hidden posts for the most part. Saves me from high blood pressure medications that's for sure!

• Like 1

Posted

Don't need air con in UK, climate is not extreme enough, just throwing more money down 

49 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Oh yes it is! The model output thread's just a bunch of hidden posts for the most part. Saves me from high blood pressure medications that's for sure!

Getting stressed in a weather forum, WTF, maybe just close the door behind you

1 hour ago, markyo said:

I guess after visiting fllorida at 95 f and 100% humidity a few years ago, the UK climate feels OK that was just too much. 

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

You realise that was a banter/non-serious post yeah? No need to be stand-offish.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
3 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Don't need air con in UK, climate is not extreme enough, just throwing more money down 

I guess after visiting fllorida at 95 f and 100% humidity a few years ago, the UK climate feels OK that was just too much. 

That sounds my version of hell! Daft as it is i work year round in something like those temps, suppose thats why the hatred of anything even approaching that when i'm not working becomes obvious. But everybody feels climate differently, getting stressed on a thread entitled moans to me is a little strange!

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, markyo said:

That sounds my version of hell! Daft as it is i work year round in something like those temps, suppose thats why the hatred of anything even approaching that when i'm not working becomes obvious. But everybody feels climate differently, getting stressed on a thread entitled moans to me is a little strange!

Nobody's stressed if you're referring to me lmao. I swear some people really don't understand "tongue in cheek" comments.  The blood pressure comment was a tongue in cheek comment - I don't actually have high blood pressure. SLEETY and you are the only ones taking things I said seriously.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Nobody's stressed if you're referring to me lmao. I swear some people really don't understand "tongue in cheek" comments. I have a lot of different things going on in life, to get stressed about weather or an internet forum - again, LMAO.

Good to see your laughing, sounds like you need some light relief! One seems a little tense.

Edited by markyo

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

So according to you, I'm strange because I'm "stressed about a forum" (which I'm not), and I sound like I need some light relief? Not patronising perhaps, not at all!

Its termed friendly banter on a moans thread....oh dear.

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Its termed friendly banter on a moans thread....oh dear.

So are all my posts, like the high blood pressure joke, that other people were taking seriously! Oh dear... what, then? 

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
2 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

So are all my posts! Oh dear... what, then? 

Time for calm...enjoy the lovely South Yorkshire sunshine!

Posted
Just now, markyo said:

Time for calm...enjoy the lovely South Yorkshire sunshine!

I have. I enjoyed a nice several mile run around the area, in the sun, felt quite warm running, good way to sweat it all out, and get fit in the process. I actually appreciate the cool temps on days like this. I just don't want it to go on indefinitely, of course, but the weather will change at some point, it always does.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
4 hours ago, SLEETY said:

I have a/c for 2 reasons. One being breathing problems and the other a 112ish year old terraced house that turns into a giant storage heater by July. Fortunately for me, I redid my electric and gas in 2020 with a 3 year fixed deal. Gonna feel it in Autumn 2023 when it's due but till then, i'm one of the few that won't get a shock.

4 hours ago, markyo said:

I can *usually* cope outside, unless it's that overly stuffy pre storm weather or long periods of stillness with rising pollution as it triggers breathing issues..... I'd be a fish out of water gasping in Florida and other US states that get humid.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

I have a/c for 2 reasons. One being breathing problems and the other a 112ish year old terraced house that turns into a giant storage heater by July. Fortunately for me, I redid my electric and gas in 2020 with a 3 year fixed deal. Gonna feel it in Autumn 2023 when it's due but till then, i'm one of the few that won't get a shock.

I can *usually* cope outside, unless it's that overly stuffy pre storm weather or long periods of stillness with rising pollution as it triggers breathing issues..... I'd be a fish out of water gasping in Florida and other US states that get humid.

Its at night i need a/c, from about end of may to early sept normally,without it sleeping would be impossible.  You did very well with that fixed deal!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
Just now, markyo said:

Its at night i need a/c, from about end of may to early sept normally,without it sleeping would be impossible.  You did very well with that fixed deal!!!!

Yeah it's night time when the storage heater effect becomes a pain. I usually keep the indoor temp to 23 or 24 overnight as that helps the breathing. Really happy with myself that the fixed deal gamble was worth it. I'm ususally not so lucky! I've also got solar too which on the sunny days will generate enough power to run the a/c without drawing from the grid.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yes even that warm spell last week it was beginning to hit 20C in the bedroom for the first time since probably late September, for me 20C is uncomfortable territory with a duvet on. The room is west facing as well so gets the sun all afternoon unfortunately. That week long hot spell last July it was 29C on a few nights in the bedroom which is not nice at all. An ordinary fan doesn't do a thing or having the window open if there's no breeze. Might as well have slept in the garden or in a tent in the woods nearby, would have been much cooler! I've got a portable AC unit now ready for any hot weather this year. Probably be a 2012 washout now 

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes even that warm spell last week it was beginning to hit 20C in the bedroom for the first time since probably late September, for me 20C is uncomfortable territory with a duvet on. The room is west facing as well so gets the sun all afternoon unfortunately. That week long hot spell last July it was 29C on a few nights in the bedroom which is not nice at all. An ordinary fan doesn't do a thing or having the window open if there's no breeze. Might as well have slept in the garden or in a tent in the woods nearby, would have been much cooler! I've got a portable AC unit now ready for any hot weather this year. Probably be a 2012 washout now 

Its the lack of sleep that's the issue during the summer, so many houses now are well insulated even at moderate summer temps of 25c ish the bedroom is unbearable without aircon i find.

• Like 1