Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

It's even quiet in NE France/Benelux too so far this summer. Usually by this time we've seen multiple MCSs literally on the other side of the channel moving NE'ward's, as our jealousy intensifies!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Through my experience, I USUALLY find that (in terms of basic convective weather) spring brings classic pulse showers and storms - quite weak. Summer also brings more pulse storms and also stronger larger scale systems - multicell and sometimes MCS type set ups. Autumn can bring pulse type showers, but also now squall line (QLCS) systems, usually along cold fronts and not very lightning prolific (with exceptions). Winter occasionally brings shower set ups, however most of the time the interest will be line convection (squalls) along cold fronts. There’s obviously overlap between seasons and exceptions with each, but through the course of the year, this is what I tend to see for convective activity and how it changes.

• Like 1

Posted

I remember this a few year back, Nailed on to hit Newcastle as it moved north then arced and missed me. haha  Lightning was still awesome in the distance around 2am, More of the same please! 

2022-06-24 (5).jpg

• Like 3

Posted

yesterday.....storm warning across most of the UK....no storms.

today....no storm warning and there's a pretty big one over Northern Ireland.

Oh dear.

• Like 2

Posted

Late in the day reporting due to lack of wi-fi, but I was in The Cotswolds yesterday and got caught in floods of rain mid-afternoon. Had been cloudy and humid, and storms had been forecast via a yellow weather warning for the area, but roads became flooded and none-too- pleasant trying to negotiate country roads covered in running water. Not a nice experience! 😒  

Edit - Azuremoon2 - it was a storm but not in our area and I didn't hear/see any thunder/lightning.

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Some mad radar returns from NI/Scotland, in line with CW's forecast, along with lightning. How we could do with that amount of rain down here ☹️

• Like 1

Posted

OMG the rainfall totals in western Scotland and northern island right no. That looks like tropical rain in my eyes, well needed for some places further south. I'm actually hoping for a strong frontal system to push in, freshens the air with a nice cool sea air breeze. And waters our garden. Then you can go back to humdinger Spanish plumes !! Lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Seeing so much AcCas floccus skirting over me here. Some of the models show something kicking off over N Norfolk tonight and racing NE. Reminds me of August 2020 when the Norfolk coast got treated to the mother of all distant displays. If I was just going by the atmosphere and sky, I would have called this a loaded gun scenario. Why is there so little CAPE and instability this year!?!!!! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

A very weak squall is about to pass here. Had next to no rain today i think that may change very soon, also the wind has picked up too.

Maybe the LP over Ireland is dropping south a bit?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive
11 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Really looks pre-storm here in southern Surrey . What’s going on?

Looks like a weak trough drifting in from the SW. Might get some rain if we're lucky. Our tumbleweed is drying out...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Is there three lines of convergence over England/Wales right now? and why has that heavy rain in Scotland not producing lightning? 

Edited by Mesoscale
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Looks like that storm that just passed Londonderry might of been organised for a time on radar. Frequent lightning and very high rainfall rates present, it also looks like there was a hail core as well.

310B6596-DFD8-4861-9322-F4A4E8F662AD.jpeg

6FEF120B-085A-4BD6-ABF0-ED6D93C84823.jpeg

152DEEFB-55C3-4C33-BCB1-2C3D3454587A.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Sky is darkening. Just waiting for some small bright red echoes to break out. Destabilisation is certainly happening. I bet we see it all kick off out over the N Sea by 01:00. Usually our luck!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days
5 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Sky is darkening. Just waiting for some small bright red echoes to break out. Destabilisation is certainly happening. I bet we see it all kick off out over the N Sea by 01:00. Usually our luck!! 

I'd give anything for some decent rainfall to reduce the huge fire risk we have in the region.

Now started here in Great Ryburgh and wind is rather gusty

• Like 1

Posted

As mentioned in some posts above, there is definitely weak instability around tonight. Some lovely skies just before sunset, with AcCas, small anvils and virga all visible, and towers emanating from banks of stratiform mid level cloud. A few light showers was all that was on offer from it all, though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Just caught a bolt of lightning on camera to my east from a tiny storm which looks to be passing near Ipswich atm

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
13 hours ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

Looks like that storm that just passed Londonderry might of been organised for a time on radar. Frequent lightning and very high rainfall rates present, it also looks like there was a hail core as well.

310B6596-DFD8-4861-9322-F4A4E8F662AD.jpeg

6FEF120B-085A-4BD6-ABF0-ED6D93C84823.jpeg

152DEEFB-55C3-4C33-BCB1-2C3D3454587A.jpeg

Looks like the storm I noticed yesterday was actually a HP supercell. Absolutely stunning storm caught by Martin McKenna.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
47 minutes ago, Robert1010 said:

There's my 1 lightning strike i asked for, Just 40 mile away. 😆

You must have good voice projection 😁

• Like 7

Posted

I'm convinced that you used to be able to absolutely rely on there being an epic thundery plume of some sort every mid-late July (see 2017, 2019 etc), but is now the second July within 3 years not to feature this. Even last July's thundery plume was a lame effort that only grazed into the south coast (I got lucky), so I'll count it, but only just. 

August has got some making up to do. And yes, I know I was one of the lucky ones who got great storms twice in May, before anyone points it out 😉

• Like 1