Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted

30c here in Southampton, and the breeze has definitely picked up. Can't quite tell if the wind is cooler than yesterday or im just more sweaty and so it's feeling cooler due to evaporation! 

Either way, 30c at 11am is too hot for me, I don't know how you folk in 35+ are coping! 

Roll on that front to blow this all away! 

• Like 1

Posted

34C here, it was 29C this time yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

Steadied off at 35c here after really rocketing up this morning between 9 and 10.30am. Remarkable temperatures for the time of day.

Posted
1 minute ago, legion_quest said:

30c here in Southampton, and the breeze has definitely picked up. Can't quite tell if the wind is cooler than yesterday or im just more sweaty and so it's feeling cooler due to evaporation! 

Either way, 30c at 11am is too hot for me, I don't know how you folk in 35+ are coping! 

Roll on that front to blow this all away! 

If you are indoors with the curtains closed it is fine as there still no humidity (at least up here) it's when the humidity arrives this evening it will feel worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events

36c here in Twickenham. Based on current trajectory reckon that by 12-1300hrs today we will have surpassed UK record. 

Edited by Snow Shoes

Posted
2 minutes ago, NTC said:

If you are indoors with the curtains closed it is fine as there still no humidity (at least up here) it's when the humidity arrives this evening it will feel worse.

I'll take a humid night if it comes with a storm! Get that lightning striking! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just hit 34⁰c here. Two and a half hours earlier than we did yesterday. Dread to think what today's maximum will be. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

34.3c locally, temperature has recently slowed right down so we may already be nearing max values here. Record set yesterday was 35.8c. Going to be close.

You're not that far west of us here, and you don't lose the hottest air till much later today - strange that your projected maxes seem to be so much lower.

Although I guess the air moves out gradually, and it only has to be a couple of degrees cooler at the critical time.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Maz said:

...if it doesn't happen in London or the SE it hasn't happened.  Does that mean London provisionally gets the overnight minima record then?

Didn't they disqualify a potential Scottish record because of a parked car on a nearby street a few years ago? While the 747s and A380s and the M25 and M4 traffic and the huge buildings all around the station at Heathrow don't affect it obviously.... 

There is also the issue that Britain has a very sparse network of official stations compared to many countries, such that records could easily be missed (are there any in Wales that are both well inland and below 150m? Like in the Severn, Wye and Dee valleys for instance which must be able to get hotter than Hawarden nearer the coast)

Today it is already warmer than the same time yesterday, the hazy murky stuff seems to be clearing from the south as the satellite suggests so we might well beat yesterday, even though we didn't get a tropical night (I dont think Shawbury ever has despite the Shropshire cloud phenomenon). Incidentally the temperature range yesterday here was 22.5C (13 to 35.5) which is easily the largest in the last 30 years, beating the 20.6C in late Feb 2019.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Summer of 95 said:

Didn't they disqualify a potential Scottish record because of a parked car on a nearby street a few years ago? While the 747s and A380s and the M25 and M4 traffic and the huge buildings all around the station at Heathrow don't affect it obviously.... 

There is also the issue that Britain has a very sparse network of official stations compared to many countries, such that records could easily be missed (are there any in Wales that are both well inland and below 150m? Like in the Severn, Wye and Dee valleys for instance which must be able to get hotter than Hawarden nearer the coast)

Today it is already warmer than the same time yesterday, the hazy murky stuff seems to be clearing from the south as the satellite suggests so we might well beat yesterday, even though we didn't get a tropical night (I dont think Shawbury ever has despite the Shropshire cloud phenomenon). Incidentally the temperature range yesterday here was 22.5C (13 to 35.5) which is easily the largest in the last 30 years, beating the 20.6C in late Feb 2019.

No it was because the exhaust from an ice cream van was way too close to the site. Was valid to discount that one.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

You're not that far west of us here, and you don't lose the hottest air till much later today - strange that your projected maxes seem to be so much lower.

Although I guess the air moves out gradually, and it only has to be a couple of degrees cooler at the critical time.

I'm guessing it maybe due to a shift in  wind direction as the front approaches brining in cooler air.

Still we are climbing again after a brief stall, got to 35.1c. Probably got 90-120 mins to break 35.8c before the cloud cover starts yo increase from the SW.

Posted

Cambridge and Heathrow continue to increase by 2c/hour

noticed wittering managed nearly a 4c increase to match Cambridge. The forecasts say that the e mids and Yorks will see a the higher temps as they hang onto the higher uppers for longer and can maintain their increase for longer. The expectation is that further south and west will see approx 3pm as a plateau before a gradual drop through the late afternoon as that front edges ne 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
Just now, bluearmy said:

Cambridge and Heathrow continue to increase by 2c/hour

noticed wittering managed nearly a 4c increase to match Cambridge. The forecasts say that the e mids and Yorks will see a the higher temps as they hang onto the higher uppers for longer and can maintain their increase for longer. The expectation is that further south and west will see approx 3pm as a plateau before a gradual drop through the late afternoon as that front edges ne 

Front already arrived in S Wales 

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'm guessing it maybe due to a shift in  wind direction as the front approaches brining in cooler air.

Still we are climbing again after a brief stall, got to 35.1c. Probably got 90-120 mins to break 35.8c before the cloud cover starts yo increase from the SW.

Is that cloud cover that is expected to form? If it is the stuff that already exists over channel and Northern France, it is difficult to believe that will be with you within 2 hours.

Posted

Not even a hint of the front approaches the distance here and we will be ahead of London by at least a 30 min margin. 

Going to be a very tight front edge on the front given how much dry air its running into.

Posted
1 hour ago, NTC said:

What will people do on here in future summers if it reaches 42c today, all the excitement of trying to beat 38.7c will be gone and 42c is likely to be a one off due to the timing. The models thread will die off and get covered in cobwebs as no one will use it.

No, I think there will always be interest in seeing a 30-32c, as that still produces very hot conditions and can be uncomfortable for many people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

38c has been breached here by the Tropical Thames in Kent!

20220719_111538.jpg

Posted
1 minute ago, wellington boot said:

Is that cloud cover that is expected to form? If it is the stuff that already exists over channel and Northern France, it is difficult to believe that will be with you within 2 hours.

Nah its the stuff coming from the SW.

I dont think it will be overhead till 2-3pm but it maybe close enough by 1 to induce a stall out when combined with decreasing thickness/850hpa temps.

Posted

The cool overnight temperatures in central and Eastern Yorkshire soon departed. Back to 34.0C here (from 18.8C overnight), 3-4 hours earlier than yesterday. I reckon we're headed for 39C so somewhere in Yorkshire should do 40C+ and maybe 41C+ in North Lincolnshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

34c being reported from a official station near me at 11am!!!!!!!! 
39 not out the question would smash previous record to pieces