Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
Just now, matt brid said:

31c in Beverley is just ridiculous

Just checked on the MetOffice website and Leconfield SAR is showing 32c for the 14:00 and 15:00 readings, but dropped back to 31 at 16:00, at 14:00 Bridlington was showing 19c, and its about 20 miles as the crow flies, with a 13c difference

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
1 minute ago, mike57 said:

Just checked on the MetOffice website and Leconfield SAR is showing 32c for the 14:00 and 15:00 readings, but dropped back to 31 at 16:00, at 14:00 Bridlington was showing 19c, and its about 20 miles as the crow flies, with a 13c difference

Yes it's comfortably warm here and will be a good thing for sleeping that's for sure.

I think that Leconfield recording station is faulty over the last 2 weeks as it is producing very high readings .

12 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Leconfield is currently being ignored. The station there is currently obstructed (and has been for over a week now) causing it to overread. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, matt brid said:

I think that Leconfield recording station is faulty over the last 2 weeks as it is producing very high readings

It will be interesting to see if Hull East Park is the warmest place in Yorkshire tomorrow, as that tends to frequently get 'highest daytime temp'  Have to say Leconfield temp does look high.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, mike57 said:

It will be interesting to see if Hull East Park is the warmest place in Yorkshire tomorrow, as that tends to frequently get 'highest daytime temp'  Have to say Leconfield temp does look high.

Hull East Park always seems to do well for very warm conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

hmmm  the average workshop manager in England earns 36-40k which is 3 times the minimum wage..so you are obviously semi retired or work in a different role?

You are wrong on so many levels there, 3 times the min wage is not 36 to 40k, i work full time, am workshop manager and lead Engineer, your disconnect with the reality of the current UK employment market is obviously massive. I suspect you read to much on the internet and have very little experience of small business operations in the UK. Also what on earth has your post to do with the title of this thread???

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, markyo said:

You are wrong on so many levels there, 3 times the min wage is not 36 to 40k, i work full time, am workshop manager and lead Engineer, your disconnect with the reality of the current UK employment market is obviously massive. I suspect you read to much on the internet and have very little experience of small business operations in the UK

A bit of a daft question, I know. But what have wages got to do with hatred of heat? image.thumb.png.ab090b0c88b50fee9ca17e7f9826c626.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, markyo said:

You are wrong on so many levels there, 3 times the min wage is not 36 to 40k, i work full time, am workshop manager and lead Engineer, your disconnect with the reality of the current UK employment market is obviously massive. I suspect you read to much on the internet and have very little experience of small business operations in the UK

But if you're a manager and manage other people are the people who you manage all on exactly the same minimum salary as you? Have to say it sounds extremely odd for an experienced engineer, managing people to be on minimum wage.....Think you need to consider applying for a position elsewhere. 

image.thumb.png.445c2bd895ad276cf5ef1be97a46ee66.png

image.png

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

A bit of a daft question, I know. But what have wages got to do with hatred of heat? image.thumb.png.ab090b0c88b50fee9ca17e7f9826c626.png

Nothing at all.....i was commenting earlier on the cost of ac

11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

But if you're a manager and manage other people are the people who you manage all on exactly the same minimum salary as you? Have to say it sounds extremely odd for an experienced engineer, managing people to be on minimum wage.....Think you need to consider applying for a position elsewhere. 

image.thumb.png.445c2bd895ad276cf5ef1be97a46ee66.png

image.png

It doesn't work like that, wage structures in small companies are totally different...enough of this, its heat hate i'm interested in!

Posted

I think I shall just cry. 

That extreme heat is back again on the models and it's directly hitting me here in the South. 

I think I need to move to Lerwick before it's too late! 

• Like 4

Posted
47 minutes ago, matt brid said:

Hull East Park always seems to do well for very warm conditions.

Sis-in-law in Hull described the heat in colourful terms this afternoon when my wife spoke to her. She is another heat hater, but I reckon we could be looking at having reached 30-31 this afternoon in or around Hull. She lives less than a mile from East Park.

Edited by mike57
left out last bit
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, mike57 said:

Sis-in-law in Hull described the heat in colourful terms this afternoon when my wife spoke to her. She is another heat hater, but I reckon we could be looking at having reached 30-31 this afternoon in or around Hull.

Yes quite remarkable considering how pleasant it has been here in Brid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
8 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

I think I shall just cry. 

That extreme heat is back again on the models and it's directly hitting me here in the South. 

I think I need to move to Lerwick before it's too late! 

The Lerwick button on the BBC Weather home page has always struck me as a portal to a safer world in spells like these. If I won an unconscionable amount of money on the lottery the first thing I'd do is consider buying a house there for me and my fellow-heat-hating partner...

• Like 3

Posted

I yearn for a summer like 2021 again, completely devoid of any of this plume rubbish. A standard summer I'd rate highly over here. 

This one reminds me of 2019 which was horrible.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frigid said:

I yearn for a summer like 2021 again, completely devoid of any of this plume rubbish. A standard summer I'd rate highly over here. 

This one reminds me of 2019 which was horrible.

It's just getting worse and worse year on year. 

I fully appreciate some people like the extreme heat, but I dont see why anyone would call a lovely sunny day at 25-26C where you can absolutely enjoy it but still get stuff done as a downgrade and would prefer 38-40C where it's just sizzling death with our infrastructure as is. 

It would totally be different if we were set up for temperatures like that as places in the Med are, but we aren't, so it's just horrid. 

There is a part of me that wants it to happen just so those who claim to love it will feel it in the UK and realise that there is a difference between chasing the heat to a holiday set up for it and being stuck at home in it! 

Though I see lots of posts from people saying the loves the heat, then saying they have air con, which sort of defeats the point of enjoying heat! (Though granted I admit to being so jealous of people with air com then I just want a reason to grumble about some of them )

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Trying to figure out the logistics of getting to work on Monday. Need to leave the house at 2pm and it’s a mile and a half walk. Not prepared to do that in anything over 32c as I don’t take to heat well and can sweat brisk walking at 15c.

Not sure a retail establishment will buy me saying it’s too hot to get there.

This is what some people are failing to understand. It’s a nightmare for some of us.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looking serious and potentially dangerous for people from Sunday to Tuesday over England. The air con in our office was struggling today so probably pack up by Monday. Thankfully we are not working in our old offices they'll be around 40C to 45C in those temperatures.

Today here peaked at 29.6C with 13C degree uppers so Sunday looks to be around 34C to 36C for us. Monday could well be hotter. I suspect records will be going those days.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Looks like a lovely blanket of cloud has appeared to keep that good old heat trapped in. still 29c here,

Have decided that in the unlikely event we are forecast 40c me and my daughter will be taking the day off.  school will just kick them out into the field and they lost water in their block today from 11am! 40c? No water? no way!

She has her report and attendance down, last week of term.

*shrug* 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It's horribly hot in South Ockendon and I have got my blackout blinds pulled down and my blackout curtains curtains closed together which has helped make it more comfortable for me.  The coldest places in my flat are the kitchen and wet-room where my walk in shower is.☀️

Posted
10 minutes ago, Dami said:

Looks like a lovely blanket of cloud has appeared to keep that good old heat trapped in. still 29c here,

Have decided that in the unlikely event we are forecast 40c me and my daughter will be taking the day off.  school will just kick them out into the field and they lost water in their block today from 11am! 40c? No water? no way!

She has her report and attendance down, last week of term.

*shrug* 

Yeah, one day wont hurt anyone, especially that close to the end of term. 

As long as she doesnt have 8 unauthorised session absences already this term. If you get 10, you could get fined if the school really wanted to be by the book about it (schools count absences by the registration, so each day is 2 sessions - 10 sessions = 5 days). 

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

It's horribly hot in South Ockendon and I have got my blackout blinds pulled down and my blackout curtains curtains closed together which has helped make it more comfortable for me.  The coldest places in my flat are the kitchen and wet-room where my walk in shower is.☀️

Good luck with sleeping. Flat's are without doubt the worst housing in this vile weather, hope you cope ok

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
47 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Yeah, one day wont hurt anyone, especially that close to the end of term. 

As long as she doesnt have 8 unauthorised session absences already this term. If you get 10, you could get fined if the school really wanted to be by the book about it (schools count absences by the registration, so each day is 2 sessions - 10 sessions = 5 days). 

We aren't there yet! We have already pulled her out of a 5k run as we can't understand the head thinking they can just swan off and do a run like that without training, especially in the summer months. She leaves that school this term and they will be doing bug all, apart from games and being made to sing in the car park with her leavers hoodie on of which her rebel mum will be grabbing her after it early. Health of my child is more important considering now she won't be missing any education as her stats are done.  ( and she passed with flying colours )

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2

Posted

Reading the post from @Dami I think it's time the HSE took a tougher line, the current guidance on excessive heat is too wooly and some employers and organisations think that they can get away with doing nothing. Set an upper limit on workplace temp, above that they either have to send people home with pay or sort it. Same rules to apply to educational establishments. Also set a lower limit where work is physical, and apply that limit to school activities like runs.

Unfortunately the problem is getting worse, growing up in the 60s and early 70s the sort of heat we now get every year was a once in 10 year thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Reading the post from @Dami I think it's time the HSE took a tougher line, the current guidance on excessive heat is too wooly and some employers and organisations think that they can get away with doing nothing. Set an upper limit on workplace temp, above that they either have to send people home with pay or sort it. Same rules to apply to educational establishments. Also set a lower limit where work is physical, and apply that limit to school activities like runs.

Unfortunately the problem is getting worse, growing up in the 60s and early 70s the sort of heat we now get every year was a once in 10 year thing.

If the Metoffice upgrade to a red emergency warning on Monday then very little should be open IMO.

In places where such temperatures are common e.g Spain, most places close during the middle part of the day.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Dear Lord! As if the horrendous heat of the past few days hasn’t been bad enough, I’ve just seen this amber heat warning from the U.K. Meto! ‍

I have lived through many grim summers in my time: 1975, 1976, 1983, 1984, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2006, 2013, 2018… And this year with its relentless sunshine and now heat is up there with the worst of them! ☀️

All I want to do is to just crawl in a cave until autumn arrives. But sadly I have bills to pay… 

I just pray that this heat ends with a thunderstorm, (a big one at that!) as otherwise this is a lot of very unnecessary suffering for no reason whatsoever! ?⛈??????

DA3D4AE3-695A-4F91-82AB-D42CBC51842B.png

• Like 9