Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'll probably be dipping in and out of the work car all day, depending what carpark i've been sent to. If it's too bad, or looks to be too bad by Friday I might ask work if I can do the online training courses as the heat will probably trigger my breathing problems.

Posted
1 minute ago, mathematician said:

You are totally missing the point. Yes most people will survive, almost everyone will obviously. But it will be a few days of suffering and feeling uncomfortable. What's so nice about it?

Besides you are totally disregarding people who are not healthy, who have health conditions, who live in a small apartment with almost no windows... Some of those people will end up in hospitals or worse. Why are you so blase about them?

I'm not, unfortunately I have no control  over the weather, if I did it would be 24c every day, and the same could be said about cold weather, far more people die of cold than heat in the U.K, but I don't see the same angst on here during the winter.

Posted
3 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Don't forgot those people who will be working in tin pot factories probably with temps knocking onto 50C and not allowed breaks while the boss will drive off home and find somewhere cool to go.

The only good news are that the pollution levels are going to be low

Really needs some regulation around heat and work, if I remember correctly building sites in Melbourne closed down once the temp went over 35c, not sure how other industries dealt with it.  

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Nevertheless, we can all thermoregulate, I'm British born and bred, but was able to cope for 5 years in Spain and 15 years in Melbourne, my physiology didn't change, England's cricketers we able to spend all day in the field at 40+, it might not be comfortable but any healthy person should be OK, common sense needed of course.  and cool showers, nothing better than a cool shower or 2, on a stinking hot day.    

Spain and Australia will have infrastructure to manage the heat. Air con. Thinner building material. Houses built out of direct light. 

The cricketers are professional athletes. That's a bit different to the general British public. 

And even to thermoregulate takes time. You don't just step off a plane and be immediately fine, even for a summer hol. When we have these heat extremes, there isnt time for that. Your physiology may not physically change, but your body would get used to it given the length of time exposed to it, on top of your mental state being one of readiness because you'd know you were going to get that heat in those places. 

Of course common sense is needed, but acting like everyone will just be fine and wake up perfectly ready and used to it, in heat double our usual temperatures is just being wilfully obtuse. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, legion_quest said:

Spain and Australia will have infrastructure to manage the heat. Air con. Thinner building material. Houses built out of direct light. 

The cricketers are professional athletes. That's a bit different to the general British public. 

And even to thermoregulate takes time. You don't just step off a plane and be immediately fine, even for a summer hol. When we have these heat extremes, there isnt time for that. Your physiology may not physically change, but your body would get used to it given the length of time exposed to it, on top of your mental state being one of readiness because you'd know you were going to get that heat in those places. 

Of course common sense is needed, but acting like everyone will just be fine and wake up perfectly ready and used to it, in heat double our usual temperatures is just being wilfully obtuse. 

No, what I'm saying is stop trying to panic people into thinking they are going to drop dead.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

No, what I'm saying is stop trying to panic people into thinking they are going to drop dead.

But some people will. 

It isn't panic, it's a genuine potential for some people in that heat. That's why we have weather warnings when we get extreme weather conditions. 

And before you say it, I'm pretty sure there will be a 'Cold haters' thread come winter to make the same blase comments about just turning up the heating, despite people dying of the cold (which usually lasts longer which is why more people succumb to it, if we have had 6 months of very cold weather and 6 months of very hot, then the comparison would be fair, but as we dont, we can only see what happens, which is that excess heat also causes death in the short times we get it each year, even if that does pale to the numbers in longer lasting cold).

Weather extremes kill people, that is simply fact. No one here is trying to panic people seriously, we're just making jokey comments about running away to Lerwick or whatever because we dont like heat, given this is the Heat HATERS thread. 

Panic that a relative who may have a condition might be at greater risk, or panic that you know your house is not built for it and you are going to have a bad time of it, isn't panic. It's legitimate concern. You may not share it, that's absolutely fine, but dont hand wave it away as you dont know people's person experiences, personal circumstances or over all condition.

Edited by legion_quest
  • Like 9

Posted
43 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

I don't see the same angst on here during the winter.

Again, this time you missed the title of this thread. It's called the HEAT HATERS. What are you expecting here!?!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Interesting how people will cope at our place of work. People where there isn't any proper ventilation will probably stay and work from home. Those with offices with air con will probably come in to be cool.

Posted
12 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

But some people will. 

It isn't panic, it's a genuine potential for some people in that heat. That's why we have weather warnings when we get extreme weather conditions. 

And before you say it, I'm pretty sure there will be a 'Cold haters' thread come winter to make the same blase comments about just turning up the heating, despite people dying of the cold (which usually lasts longer which is why more people succumb to it, if we have had 6 months of very cold weather and 6 months of very hot, then the comparison would be fair, but as we dont, we can only see what happens, which is that excess heat also causes death in the short times we get it each year, even if that does pale to the numbers in longer lasting cold).

Weather extremes kill people, that is simply fact. No one here is trying to panic people seriously, we're just making jokey comments about running away to Lerwick or whatever because we dont like heat, given this is the Heat HATERS thread. 

Panic that a relative who may have a condition might be at greater risk, or panic that you know your house is not built for it and you are going to have a bad time of it, isn't panic. It's legitimate concern. You may not share it, that's absolutely fine, but dont hand wave it away as you dont know people's person experiences, personal circumstances or over all condition.

Current charts show that the extreme temps aren't going to last more that 1 and a half day. The amber warning is justified. Old people with underlying problems must seek cool places and I hope local councils are informed so they can provide these. Fortunately this looks like a brief heatwave snap and not something prolonged. Could have been much worse. 

It's just a heatwave, we might have some records broken but nothing extraordinary. It happened before. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Current charts show that the extreme temps aren't going to last more that 1 and a half day. The amber warning is justified. Old people with underlying problems must seek cool places and I hope local councils are informed so they can provide these. Fortunately this looks like a brief heatwave snap and not something prolonged. Could have been much worse. 

It's just a heatwave, we might have some records broken but nothing extraordinary. It happened before. 

Yes, no one is saying it hasnt, and it will happen again. 

In fact, that was the point of my counterpoint to the claim we should all just acclimatise to it and thermoregulate right away, that it doesnt last long enough for us to do so, and some people simply can't anyway. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If folks need to find a cool building, might an old church be a good bet?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

If folks need to find a cool building, might an old church be a good bet?

A lot are locked nowadays Ed, due to thefts from them by low life, bottom feeding, waste of a skin, scum bags!

• Like 1

I absolutely hate summer. I am hard core cold lover, but only dry cold. 5c at the highest to below but blue sky, ice, frost and sparkling, I can do soring at 15c at the most, crisp and sunny. Humidity is my worst, UK autumn and winter are rubbish as it's warm and wet. Summer is my idea of hell. February to May tends to be the best although if we had proper winters it would be winter that i would love  but 10c and rain is almost as bad as hot and sunny. A move to the Faroe islands would be good for me but then it's not very vegetarian or vegan friendly there.

Edited by Alicat
Bad typing
  • Like 4

On 14/06/2022 at 10:27, Dreckly said:

Not that I actually hate it but I can't physically tolerate heat so don't really look forward to it ☹️

I cannot tolerate warmth, never mind heat. 4 health conditions made worse by it.

Edited by Alicat
Bad typing
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
On 11/07/2022 at 00:29, ShinyDave said:

This is interesting as an observation because men on average have lower temperature preferences (obviously there's significant individual variation) so in theory the more viable "macho tendency" would be to describe intense cold in positive terms!

Perhaps the model discussions specifically are drawn towards hyping Historic Events, given their inherent focus on details and specific outcomes. Obviously some people genuinely love the heat (while others, like me and presumably others posting in this thread given its title, genuinely loathe it), but I think that might be the actual bias at play.

Interesting thoughts!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Well it’s barely got going and already the house overheating has started - it’s 25c everywhere upstairs even though the curtains were shut all day and windows have been wide open since the outside temp dropped below 25c outside.

Still 22.3c outside and we’re only a mile or so from the coast - any sign of a cool down yet?

Posted
48 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Well it’s barely got going and already the house overheating has started - it’s 25c everywhere upstairs even though the curtains were shut all day and windows have been wide open since the outside temp dropped below 25c outside.

Still 22.3c outside and we’re only a mile or so from the coast - any sign of a cool down yet?

I'll take 25 please! It's 30c in my bedroom right now! And 26 downstairs

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'll take 25 please! It's 30c in my bedroom right now! And 26 downstairs

Make the most of 30c before early next week!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Don said:

Make the most of 30c before early next week!

*SOB* - We are a South facing bedroom too!

Posted
24 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

*SOB* - We are a South facing bedroom too!

Fortunately my bedroom is north facing!  At my previous house, it was east which wasn’t too bad.  Not sure if west facing would be the worst for heat?

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

27C in the south facing bedroom now, after some rain earlier the humidity has shot up.  

Not looking forward to 34C+ at the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
18 hours ago, Alderc said:

There were no mandatory closures for storm Eunice…think everything’s already been closed enough recently don’t you?

After many months of lockdowns a day of two of places being shut is not going to hurt. It would just be like Xmas Day just in summer instead of winter. Or a day in spring 2020. Just essential shops open and buses about once an hour. Would give people a nice rest as well.

As for people’s homes being hotter than their workplaces completely depends on where they work and how warm their home is... Not every workplace has ac.. My house for example stays relatively cool and I’ve never known the indoor temp go above 26°C. 

Storm Eunice killed about 4 people but there will be many more heat related deaths if we get widespread 35-40C.

Id rather walk out in a storm than a heatwave any day!

There should be a maximum working temperature imo - perhaps 30°C?

Anyway, today has been quite a bit cooler here. Max of 22/23C and mostly cloudy. Tomorrow is forecast to be perfect, sunny and max of 19°C. ☀️

Unfortunately the heat returning by the weekend. 31°C forecast for Monday here!

8990CA87-D14C-4CF8-9AF6-359F6A220925.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
11 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Totally agree, Lass.

Never mind a Cold Weather Payment, I vote for a Hot Weather Payment.

Might be a more acceptable legacy, once Mr. Johnson finally gets evicted from Downing Street.

We've got two fans on in our Lounge at the moment, and will need two fans on in our Bedroom Tonight.

We've been fortunate during the last few Nights, that the Dew Points have been relatively low around 11c, with the air being so dry.

I see our nearest Recording Station [London City Airport], has a recent Point de Rosee [Dew Point], of 14c.

That's the same as yours, at Northolt Lass. See below:

image.thumb.png.420cb48f16c559471f8cba395bbf8575.png 

I dread to think how high the humidity may get, if we start to pick up more of a S. flow, down here!!

Roll on Autumn.

Regards,

Tom.  

Shame those few point temps aren’t the air temps.

13 hours ago, Dami said:

It is so humid, although there is a slight breeze. My daughter has come home  with mild heat stoke again and feels hot, tried and sick. Very surprised to hear other parents complain about the heat and comparing it to a Holiday, which would be fine because you can go jump in the pool.  

on the subject of water, the water supply to my daughters block is still broken. 

Probably a good idea to keep her off school the next few days, they won’t be doing much now anyway with it being so close to the summer holidays.

19 hours ago, Alderc said:

A Red warning is a Red warning. The risk of being injured by Eunice was high, advise was to WFM if possible can’t even see that being the case this time around as most peoples works will be cooler than their homes. Plus how are you going to compensate people for a day or two or three lost trading, especially self employed?

You can’t sit in your underpants at work though can you?

I think it should be mandatory for all schools and workplaces to have air conditioning in the UK. It’s needed now we’re getting hotter and hotter temps.

10 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I feel like anything over 35 should tbh. It's very close to body temperature. Anything over that is hotter than our bodies and will prove extremely hard to keep cool

I’ve always wondered even though our body temp is 37C we function best in temps much lower than that. Does anyone know why that is?

10 hours ago, The PIT said:

I don't think it will be a sigh of relief. Tuesday could see 40C being reached. This could do a huge failure in modelling like the failed beast from the beast a few years ago.

Why is it the cold weather nearly always gets cancelled but the forecast hot weather always happens (and is usually upgraded) these days.

10 hours ago, legion_quest said:

Monday in to Tuesday is suggesting 30C+ at midnight according to some of the graphs and charts in that thread.... 

That would break records surely. Pretty sure the warmest night on record in the U.K. is 24C at Brighton.

9 hours ago, RJBingham said:

Nevertheless, we can all thermoregulate, I'm British born and bred, but was able to cope for 5 years in Spain and 15 years in Melbourne, my physiology didn't change, England's cricketers we able to spend all day in the field at 40+, it might not be comfortable but any healthy person should be OK, common sense needed of course.  and cool showers, nothing better than a cool shower or 2, on a stinking hot day.    

Yeah but you’ve lived in hot places for 20 years so you are hardly typical of the average Brit who only holidays for about a week in Spain a year. And just because you can cope with it ok doesn’t mean everyone can. A lot of that “well I can cope just fine at 40C so everyone else can too” attitude on here.

Take me for example I’ve never been abroad and the hottest temp I’ve experienced is about low 30’s so when it gets to 25C I really do feel it. 

I find cold weather much easier to deal with (although I don’t like extreme cold either) as you can just add more layers until you are warm enough.

Speaking of holidays I can’t really understand the obsession of so many people in this country who love to spend 1000’s of pounds to jet off somewhere 1000’s of miles away to spend a week getting sunburnt and melting on a scorching hot beach all week. I much prefer a traditional British seaside holiday, even if it’s cool/wet.

With the current travel chaos and cost of living soaring a lot of people will not be going abroad this year. The traditional British seaside holiday could make a comeback.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

been up most of the night looking after my daughter, all symptoms of heat stroke there, thankfully wasn't sick in the end but had a bad tummy all the same.  Did everything i could to cool her down and even so she felt a bit dizzy and i gave her a note to tell the school how she is in the heat and with instructions that if she feels bad to ask to come home. We are on the cusp of having a sotty letter home if shes off again so it's up to the school to send her home.  Am a little worried tbh. School is now doing a risk assessment, as our letter also high lighted my concerns about next week, but expect 'keeping her home' won't be an option. 

Had a better night last night as we had some cooling rain, so our bedroom with *only* 25c in the end. Hope you all slept better 🙂

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1