Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Cleeve Hill said:

You can tell, times are a changing. Years ago most leaves were down by bonfire night and I can remember we used leaves to stuff the guy Fawkes. 

There’s no change to daylight hours so the delay in leaf fall has to be temperature. 

This year I would say most trees still have 50% of their leaves.

So a late start to winter seems to be the norm in 21st century.

Yep leaf fall very much delayed this year. 2010, 2012, 2016, 2019 and 2020 were all earlier. Autumn colours were well underway by early/mid October.

• Like 3

Posted

Still lots of late summer flowers in bloom here, geraniums and treasure flowers in my pots going strong. Also some roses about to appear, inidicative of the very mild conditions of late. Normally I woukd tidied the garden up by now, but will give it another 2 weeks and wait for the forecast colder settled conditions. 

Most trees though are bare and the lakeland countryside has a Nov look to it. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Slug

Interesting feature on rain radar currently moving over cornwall, I’m assuming that is a centre if a low heading south; meaning cooler weather for the next few days from the N & NW? 
looks good though

Edited by LightningFox92
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Looks like the forecasted first frosts for our area may become a reality…travelling home tonight between 10.15 - 11.15pm the temp had already fallen to 4c with the ice alert light coming on in the car….❄️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

It actually felt quite seasonal here yesterday, and last night with temps down to around 6-7c 

Means the heating was required though 🙄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

It does feel like this Autumn is a month behind schedule in a way. A lot of trees here still almost fully green! And as @damianslaw says still lots of flowers about (geraniums on my balcony still too). Normally looks like this at the start of October rather than November. But I enjoy the lengthened colour show we get in this setup. Absolutely stunning morning today, if only there were a bit of frost it would be perfect!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weatherman_93 said:

First time lounge has been below 18c in a long time. 16.6c. Had to break out the portable fan heater to take the edge off.

Is that cheaper than CH?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
44 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Is that cheaper than CH?

Almost certainly yes for the same reason a slow cooker is cheaper than a hard wired oven in that normal plugged things pull very little energy In relative terms.

The real question is whether it's anywhere near as effective and the answer outside of a small room is probably not.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Is that cheaper than CH?

I'll be buying some kind of portable space-heater next week. The way around the Whole House Paradox is surprisingly simple -- it's called shutting the door! But, as often happens, it'll be next summer before I get used to the idea -- by which time, I'll be forgetting to leave them all open!😁

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Is that cheaper than CH?

Living in a 2 bed mid terrace probably. Cost about 30p for 20 minutes downstairs and 20 upstairs.

2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

The real question is whether it's anywhere near as effective and the answer outside of a small room is probably not.

Reasonably small house so works for us. But yes id agree that if you have a large house/room then may not be as effective.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, sunny_vale said:

It does feel like this Autumn is a month behind schedule in a way. A lot of trees here still almost fully green! And as @damianslaw says still lots of flowers about (geraniums on my balcony still too). Normally looks like this at the start of October rather than November. But I enjoy the lengthened colour show we get in this setup. Absolutely stunning morning today, if only there were a bit of frost it would be perfect!

Soil temps I suspect are more akin to what we should see in early Oct. In a normal year plant growth tends to be stunted by late Oct, with further very mild weather, it could well be late Nov before we see stunted growth. Very late indeed. It will be a very late autumn tidy up this year. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Surprised I'm still mowing the lawn at this point, latest date in the past has been mid October, if the rain holds off over the weekend long enough its going to need another trim along with tidying up the shed. Fun weekend planned 😆

• Like 4

Posted
19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Still lots of late summer flowers in bloom here, geraniums and treasure flowers in my pots going strong. Also some roses about to appear, inidicative of the very mild conditions of late. Normally I woukd tidied the garden up by now, but will give it another 2 weeks and wait for the forecast colder settled conditions. 

Most trees though are bare and the lakeland countryside has a Nov look to it. 

Yep, my summer flowers are still going in the pots, albeit looking rather leggy now!

42 minutes ago, Row w said:

Surprised I'm still mowing the lawn at this point, latest date in the past has been mid October, if the rain holds off over the weekend long enough its going to need another trim along with tidying up the shed. Fun weekend planned 😆

How long will it be until we will be mowing the lawn all year round?!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
11 minutes ago, Don said:

Yep, my summer flowers are still going in the pots, albeit looking rather leggy now!

How long will it be until we will be mowing and lawn all year round?!

God, what a depressing thought. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

My garden needs a mow. I haven't mowed it in weeks. It was a very wet September and October here so i couldn't do it.  Ground is completely sodden so will now have to wait till the spring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Soil temps I suspect are more akin to what we should see in early Oct. In a normal year plant growth tends to be stunted by late Oct, with further very mild weather, it could well be late Nov before we see stunted growth. Very late indeed. It will be a very late autumn tidy up this year. 

I do recall seeing daffodils in November or December a while ago (maybe 6 or 7 years ago).. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again this month, unless there's a marked cooldown..

Posted

Ecm keeping the warmth, utterly ridiculous, but maybe a sudden switch later on. 

Turning very cold in Eastern europe on the other side of the high, mind. 

What has caused this year to have winds constantly come from SW, S or SE. 

The reason this year is heading for warmest on record. 

Can't get winds from a colder direction last a few days as for  months on end, never happens does it. 

Our climate is really getting mucked up. 

• Like 1

Posted

well looking at  the  gfs  no sign of any cold weather  coming  but from now to deep fantasy world   the rain totals could be clocking up

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, tinybill said:

well looking at  the  gfs  no sign of any cold weather  coming  but from now to deep fantasy world   the rain totals could be clocking up

Mmm lots of polar air in the mix, will be cold. 

Posted
1 hour ago, SummerShower said:

I do recall seeing daffodils in November or December a while ago (maybe 6 or 7 years ago).. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again this month, unless there's a marked cooldown..

I remember seeing daffodils around Christmas but not in November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Very foggy tonight here. Usually the case on bonfire night due to all that firework smoke. 🎆

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 03/11/2022 at 22:14, Mapantz said:

It's the 20th consecutive day of rain here. 153.6mm in those 20 days.

Wow that’s a lot! 😮 Certainly made up for the summer drought!

On 04/11/2022 at 19:37, SLEETY said:

Ecm keeping the warmth, utterly ridiculous, but maybe a sudden switch later on. 

Turning very cold in Eastern europe on the other side of the high, mind. 

What has caused this year to have winds constantly come from SW, S or SE. 

The reason this year is heading for warmest on record. 

Can't get winds from a colder direction last a few days as for  months on end, never happens does it. 

Our climate is really getting mucked up. 

The warmth has come at the right time though in the middle of the energy/cost of living crisis. I’m personally hoping it continues until next April.

• Like 2