Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Drought Watch

Posted
18 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Now that a hosepipe ban is planned, a July washout is bound to take place. 😂

followed by the alomst traditional August washout when the schools are off-yep i can see this happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

followed by the alomst traditional August washout when the schools are off-yep i can see this happening.

and then a nice hot September ...

Posted
6 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

and then a nice hot September ...

But not to the to the point of where we are now since the Sun is usually weaker in September than it is in June.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
2 hours ago, Weather26 said:

But not to the to the point of where we are now since the Sun is usually weaker in September than it is in June.

Local max temperature record here for September is 1.8°C warmer than the June one so there's still a lot of residual heat left from the summer by then. Linking this back to drought, the evaporation rates still quite high. So say after a wet August things can dry up quite a bit in September as seen in some recent years. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Metwatch said:

Local max temperature record here for September is 1.8°C warmer than the June one so there's still a lot of residual heat left from the summer by then. Linking this back to drought, the evaporation rates still quite high. So say after a wet August things can dry up quite a bit in September as seen in some recent years. 

But then (in last year's case at least) the rest of the Autumn was wet so things could still quite easily (as also what happened from the snowday in March-to early May) swing back the other way quite quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Tomorrow looks like the end of the drought for me at 35 days ,pretty exceptional for the north west coast 

• Thanks 1

Posted
19 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Now that a hosepipe ban is planned, a July washout is bound to take place. 😂

Doesn't take much nowadays, something doesn't seem right that they happen with ease. 

16 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

Tomorrow looks like the end of the drought for me at 35 days ,pretty exceptional for the north west coast 

Yes I doubt we've had many longer runs.. quite exceptional. I know some winter months have given trace such as whole Feb 86 for example, but more than a month is quite abnormal. 

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Weather26 said:

But then (in last year's case at least) the rest of the Autumn was wet so things could still quite easily (as also what happened from the snowday in March-to early May) swing back the other way quite quickly.

Ive commented on how the last 2 and half years have been punctuated with long very dry spells followed by shortlived wet spells. Last autumn did appear to mark a change to wet winning out more, but we had some notable dry spells still, first half Dec, Feb as a whole.. I think el nino will finally shake us out of this period of very dry and wet.

Posted

Looks like quite a wet 48hrs coming up down here but interestingly the models are drying up quite significantly again in the SE due to the Azores high close nature to this part of the country. Does look wetter further north and west but even then not hugely wetter than normal. The rain is more needed up there anyway. Down here the wetness of that Mar-early May period has put in a decent enough position even with a lengthy dry spell.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Still no rain in De Bilt (Netherlands). A new record. And never so much sunshine in a 30-day period.  

Enjoy it!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

We are currently at about 40% of what would we averagely receive in June so far so unless we had a deluge I think June will come out as another dryer than average month for here in Exeter 🙂  I know we need rain but would rather it came in a torrential downpour but so far no thunderstorms 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

A couple of days ago it looked like we'd actually get some rain out of this half-arsed 'unsettled' Atlantic period coming up, but any rain just keeps getting pushed back to FI. We may as well just stay under high pressure and warmth for all the difference these lows are going to make to the situation! 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
12 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

A couple of days ago it looked like we'd actually get some rain out of this half-arsed 'unsettled' Atlantic period coming up, but any rain just keeps getting pushed back to FI. We may as well just stay under high pressure and warmth for all the difference these lows are going to make to the situation! 

I totally agree, loved the past 2 months with sun and warm temps but rain would be welcome…I don’t even think we’ve had an inch here the past 7 weeks

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A hosepipe ban in Kent and Sussex has officially come into force until further notice.

Anyone caught using hosepipes to water gardens, clean cars, patios and boats, and fill swimming pools face a fine of up to £1,000

Exemptions are in place for watering of new lawns for 4 weeks after laid and outside of peak hours between 8am to 10am and 5pm to 9pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
9 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

A hosepipe ban in Kent and Sussex has officially come into force until further notice.

Anyone caught using hosepipes to water gardens, clean cars, patios and boats, and fill swimming pools face a fine of up to £1,000

Exemptions are in place for watering of new lawns for 4 weeks after laid and outside of peak hours between 8am to 10am and 5pm to 9pm

I have read somewhere that no one has ever been prosecuted for flouting the hosepipe ban.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Usual caveats apply when looking at a chart like this of course, but either way it's nice to see a bit more rainfall projected on ECM, and a lot of it before FI

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

It will be flood watch next month 🤣

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

I've had 1 day of rain since 9th May (thats 50 days), every storm passes just by, every front fizzles just before us, this is happening annually now too. As I type yet another front dies before getting here. This particular location has a micro climate, I despise it. For someone who loves variety it's an ongoing ordeal, I think a move to another part of the country has to be the long term plan.

Posted

Finally, some actual rain that isn't pointless drizzle or decaying showers; it only took 8 days of the pattern change from warm & dry to get this down here!

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

Finally, some actual rain that isn't pointless drizzle or decaying showers; it only took 8 days of the pattern change from warm & dry to get this down here!

Same!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Try sorting out a football pitch in a hosepipe ban, after the wettest March. Thanks SWW... clowns 🤡 

• Thanks 1