Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Drought Watch

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah I posted this in another thread-

‘Yeah looks like the drought will carry on for most.

Makes you wonder when we’ll next see widespread rainfall. Looking at the UKMO/GEM etc the next 7-10 at least looks devoid of it.

Another 4 weeks or so of this pattern and I can see hosepipe bans being implemented, especially with water demand increasing with the temperatures.’

The biggest concern, of course, is that we then go on to have a dry autumn and winter. That would send us into next summer on a really dodgy footing. I think it’s inevitable we’ll be using standpipes at some point within the next decade…it’s not hard to see the drying trend in our climate recently.

I still harp on about the summers between 2007-12 which we all thought could be the trend because of the warming climate(warmer summers at high latitudes creating blocking therefore a more southerly jet stream for the UK) and now because we get some drier summers at times we still moan and worry this could be the norm. 

The dryness does not concern me, we won't be like California that is for sure and Autumn and more so winter always usually gives us our fair share of rainfall. 

I think maybe one saving grace so far during this dry spell is because it has not been overly warm, there has been less drying out than it would be if this spell came in July with much hotter temperatures. Obviously the top layers like grass will always be suspectable to prolonged dry weather but further under the soil it's probably still damp despite the dry spell.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Getting a sinking feeling about the lack of rain & drought prospects again this year. Yes, it's early, but this weekend's low looks to be the only chance of any rain in the models right now, and even that is getting more and more dry with every run. I was a least hoping for some downpours to top up the water butts, pond and just give the fast-drying and cracking ground everywhere a good drink.

My hunch is the dry theme will come to a crash into July and by end of August we'll have forgotten this dry spell. Our weather has a habit of sudden flips exceptional dry to exceptional wet, time after time...

June does look particularly dry but thundery spells will result in large variation.

We are seeing a shift in atmospheric state which will manifest come July one predispositioned to increasing unstable conditions more heat more rain. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mountain Snow said:

28 days without a drop of rain now, very rare for these parts. Must have had about 20 sunset evenings in a row, almost getting boring now!

Yes quite abnormal, but not quite exceptional. However to go over a month with no rain would rate as one of our longest dry spells I imagine.

Hoping for some rain over the weekend just for interest. Whilst the weather has been ideal for me, boy its been dull as dishwater from a weather enthusiast. The equivalent of the anticyclonic gloom of late Autumn early winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

20 days without any rain here and had I not got that small shower which gave me a measly 2.3mm on the 19th May, I would be at around 29 days with no rainfall. Quite the blocked pattern established. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looks like it's going to stay dry this weekend now with any shower activity to the south west and west of us.

Posted

22 days and counting looks like a dry weekend for us as well. If that comes to pass no further rain forecast for next week so going 30 days or more without measurable rain is possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

it hasn't rained since I came back from florida on May 14th and funny enough when we went to florida for 2 weeks (april 30th - may 14th) it also didn't rain at all. It's like i'm a curse and brought all this dry air with me from Florida 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

Next week looking pretty dry right now, crazy soil moisture levels as it plummets to around 7% in someparts, might help raise the max temps. The drought monitor on windy also seems to show no signs of letting up, apart from a few isolated thunderstorms i'm not really seeing any substantial rainfall right now.

Screenshot2023-06-10235413.thumb.png.edc92ee53344aca53b5ae79b7ea3024d.pngScreenshot2023-06-10235433.thumb.png.9da949de6f364794f5f0125e6c54fb37.png

Fire weather also increasing next week, not extreme levels but something to keep an eye on.

Screenshot2023-06-10235556.thumb.png.d4079bbd379fb97ba1fb0aa8806af084.pngScreenshot2023-06-10235644.thumb.png.dc66de09364f7cb124c47f18039ba66b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Well, despite the models showing next-to no rain here during this weekend, we've ended up with a solid hour of heavy rain last night & now more downpours this morning. Butts filled, pond topped up and everything has had a nice water, feeling lucky compared to the surrounding areas that continue to be parched. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers
_130058065_p0ftjxk9.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

One local man told the BBC his family had left their Highlands property as the flames were so close by.

Unfortunately not surprised by this, thankfully looks like fire crews have it mostly contained if not out

Edited by WeatherArc

Posted

Meanwhile, what is being reported as the largest UK wildfire ever recorded continues to rage near Cannich in the Highlands, now more than a fortnight.  Newsworthy?  nah

• Thanks 2

Posted

23 days since last measurable rainfall and counting.

Posted

5.4mm here in 36 days zero rain in 23 days which was broken on the 12th of July when 5mm fell. Despite this it's still very green out there which is surprising. I guess the north sea cloud helped on that front.

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather26 said:

Oh boy here we go with the hosepipe bans's-didn't take long into summer this year didn't it.

It has berm very dry down here lately but we have actually had a pretty wet 9 month period overall.

I suspect this is more to do with water companies being utterly useless than any desperate drought situation.

At best, it maybe an early preventative measure in case things continue dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I wonder what this thread would have been like in those hazy lazy long ago days of “75/76 or even ‘83 ‘95 etc….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
20 minutes ago, The PIT said:

5.4mm here in 36 days zero rain in 23 days which was broken on the 12th of July when 5mm fell. Despite this it's still very green out there which is surprising. I guess the north sea cloud helped on that front.

1.4mm here in 36 days, really hoping we get some proper rain amounts this weekend, as long as we see some sun too 🙂  We had a longer dry period last summer, can't remember for how long but i'm sure we didn't get any measurable/proper rain for over a month and a half

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
23 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Probably as the grass down here is like hay and we've been very sunny and incredibly dry for over a month

Posted
32 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Probably as the grass down here is like hay and we've been very sunny and incredibly dry for over a month

Yeah the grass gas definately turned a very dry colour now, though hopefully the rain that is coming will bring it back to life somewhat.

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather26 said:

Oh boy here we go with the hosepipe bans's-didn't take long into summer this year didn't it.

I believe that South East Water has similar vulnerability to the Thames Water, but only in the upper reaches, Cotswolds, Swindon, Oxford etc. The nature of the rock plays a huge role in the speed it takes to get in and out of droughts. Both areas are prone to short term droughts but are also reversed quickly when it rains enough. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
5 hours ago, Weather26 said:

And that is despite all the rainfall we had during the spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Now that a hosepipe ban is planned, a July washout is bound to take place. 😂

• Thanks 2