Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Cold Haters Club 22/23

RJBingham

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

I personally don't disagree with the 'facts'... its the monotonous back n forth that is tedious, and the reluctance on all parties to agree to disagree.

How can you agree when something that's scientifically proven and recorded is blatantly denied? It renders intelligent debate impossible.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
Just now, CharlieBear9 said:

How can you agree when something that's scientifically proven and recorded is blatantly denied? It renders intelligent debate impossible.

People are entitled to their own perceptions and opinions, even if it goes against the data, (btw, i prefer proven official recorded data) but to state 'it renders intelligent debate impossible' is condescending just because it doesn't fit into your own preconceived ideals of how data/stats/info should be interpreted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Cor, this thread exploded a bit! As someone who isn't too fussed what temperature it is as long as the sun is shining, I find it a bit surprising that those who prefer cold weather, and are less than impressed when someone comes into their heat hater thread to disagree, are coming into the thread specifically for cold haters and having a go at the cold haters.

If the heat lovers go into the heat haters thread and start bashing everyone in there, they get rightfully called out as it's a group dedicated to the heat haters, so I gotta say I'm pretty confused here. Weren't these 2 different threads made specifically to stop the bickering over cold V hot 😂

Personally, I stay out of the heat haters thread because I feel comfortable in any warm weather and so it would be unnecessary to go in there and tell everyone they're wrong or over reacting etc just as I would have thought, someone who doesn't like the heat, would stay out of the cold haters thread because since they enjoy the cold, that thread would be irrelevant to them?

Anyway, end of the day, no ones wrong. Some people find 10c cold while others can wear shorts in 0c, just the same as some people find 20c oppressive while others are dandy in 35c. We're all different guys, no need for the gang wars of hot v cold 🌞

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

My only question is why are all of the heat haters flocking here? 😂

Anyways I think it was 5th of August, I was very close to posting in this thread where it remained below 13C all afternoon, that was an atrocious day with places in Greenland and Svalbard warmer that day.

image.thumb.png.89cfab04141c33cf6d6bf9f2ee010a1f.png

It's a bit cooler in the last few days obviously after the heatwave earlier this month, but still no where near enough to 'hate' it, was even a little on the humid side today if anything.

If October is warm, then there should be nothing to worry about for the time being!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

Cor, this thread exploded a bit! As someone who isn't too fussed what temperature it is as long as the sun is shining, I find it a bit surprising that those who prefer cold weather, and are less than impressed when someone comes into their heat hater thread to disagree, are coming into the thread specifically for cold haters and having a go at the cold haters.

If the heat lovers go into the heat haters thread and start bashing everyone in there, they get rightfully called out as it's a group dedicated to the heat haters, so I gotta say I'm pretty confused here. Weren't these 2 different threads made specifically to stop the bickering over cold V hot 😂

Personally, I stay out of the heat haters thread because I feel comfortable in any warm weather and so it would be unnecessary to go in there and tell everyone they're wrong or over reacting etc just as I would have thought, someone who doesn't like the heat, would stay out of the cold haters thread because since they enjoy the cold, that thread would be irrelevant to them?

Anyway, end of the day, no ones wrong. Some people find 10c cold while others can wear shorts in 0c, just the same as some people find 20c oppressive while others are dandy in 35c. We're all different guys, no need for the gang wars of hot v cold 🌞

100% agree. Nobody should be guilt tripped for their weather preferences, and that goes for both sides. There is light hearted banter and then there is guilt tripping.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
3 hours ago, CharlieBear9 said:

Maybe if people stop denying the facts it won't keep getting resurrected.

Facts: July was 0.9°C cooler than average here (I've been recording the weather since 2007, and use official met office statistics). July had 112 hours of sunshine here, which is about 70 below average. July had 152mm of rain here, which was almost three times the average. 

August had 151 hours of sunshine here - 30 less than average. 

All facts. Any impressions anyone might have of July and August being poor, are supported by these facts, especially in my area.

Your statements that people who have experienced the summer as mostly poor are "denying the facts", are simply wrong. Based on - the Met Office statistics, available on their website. 

For example, it's not hard to access the data:

Monthly data for a plethora of weather stations (this example is Sheffield):

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/stationdata/sheffielddata.txt

Long term climate averages most relevant to this time in history (this example is Sheffield):

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Sheffield Cdl UK climate averages

So it's a matter of comparing the numbers for the relevant months (for say, avg. max, avg. min, precipitation, sunshine hours) against the long term average. July and August were clearly poorer than average for people who like sunnier, drier and warmer summer weather, if you know basic addition subtraction (for example, July's avg. max of 21.4 minus July 2023's avg. max = 1.3°C difference), so, July 2023 being 1.3°C cooler than the long term average.

Edited by Met.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, SunSean said:

Amen. I'm really not understanding why the cold lovers/heat haters have barged into this thread and decided to cause arguments for no reason. Borderline troll behaviour.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
29 minutes ago, cheese said:

Amen. I'm really not understanding why the cold lovers/heat haters have barged into this thread and decided to cause arguments for no reason. Borderline troll behaviour.

I wasn’t aware that the thread was only open to certain members. I know the heat haters thread certainly wasn’t restricted, and I also don’t remember you accusing anyone in there of trolling with the enthusiasm you are in here.

This thread has got busy because I, perhaps stupidly, made a point that we haven’t even had anything approaching ‘cold’ yet and that the majority of months have been above average temperature wise. I’m failing to see where the mistruth is in that.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Met. said:

Facts: July was 0.9°C cooler than average here (I've been recording the weather since 2007, and use official met office statistics). July had 112 hours of sunshine here, which is about 70 below average. July had 152mm of rain here, which was almost three times the average. 

August had 151 hours of sunshine here - 30 less than average. 

All facts. Any impressions anyone might have of July and August being poor, are supported by these facts, especially in my area.

Your statements that people who have experienced the summer as mostly poor are "denying the facts", are simply wrong. Based on - the Met Office statistics, available on their website. 

For example, it's not hard to access the data:

Monthly data for a plethora of weather stations (this example is Sheffield):

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/stationdata/sheffielddata.txt

Long term climate averages most relevant to this time in history (this example is Sheffield):

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Sheffield Cdl UK climate averages

So it's a matter of comparing the numbers for the relevant months (for say, avg. max, avg. min, precipitation, sunshine hours) against the long term average. July and August were clearly poorer than average for people who like sunnier, drier and warmer summer weather, if you know basic addition subtraction (for example, July's avg. max of 21.4 minus July 2023's avg. max = 1.3°C difference), so, July 2023 being 1.3°C cooler than the long term average.

At least you’re using local statistics to back your impressions up.

Here, June was flamin’ July was average temperature wise but wet and August was utterly average summer weather. Overall it was warmer than average and slightly wetter than average. That was my impression of it too.

Posted

We are about to endure months of cold, dark, damp, windy, miserable weather, some of us don't enjoy it, if that causes anguish, probably better to ignore this thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
5 hours ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

I wasn’t aware that the thread was only open to certain members. I know the heat haters thread certainly wasn’t restricted, and I also don’t remember you accusing anyone in there of trolling with the enthusiasm you are in here.

This thread has got busy because I, perhaps stupidly, made a point that we haven’t even had anything approaching ‘cold’ yet and that the majority of months have been above average temperature wise. I’m failing to see where the mistruth is in that.

It's not restricted but you know full well that if people descended on masse in that thread like they have done here, they'd be called out, and some of them likely banned or at least comments deleted.

There's people in the heat haters thread who have expressed that anything over 20c is too hot. Did I respond and go "this isn't even hot, be glad you don't live in Greece!" No. Cos that would be patronising. I simply rose a quizzed eyebrow and moved on. 

Saying things like "it hasn't been cold yet" dismisses the folk who find 12c and windy to be cold, whilst for some coldies that is "t shirt weather". What if they have a health condition that makes them particularly sensitive to cooler temps, like how many folk in the heat haters thread have health issues they make them sensitive to warmer temps.

I caveat this with the fact that I enjoy cold weather and snow - but we must recognise that not everyone's body experiences temps and weather the same way. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

As a result of ongoing issues this thread is now locked.

Sadly – despite team requests and the message at the top of every page - there are too many posts being made in here that are either intolerant or goading those of a different preference.

In due course the team will re-launch the clubs but in the Groups area of the forum where membership will be subject to approval and there will be a zero tolerance approach to further offences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1