Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Cold Haters Club 22/23

RJBingham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Old houses in the UK bake you in the summer and freeze you in the winter.

Define Old houses? My 1810 cottage is cool in the summer and nice n toasty in winter, it is about the design, construction materials and aspect, ie which way the maj of your windows face, i am sat here in Yorkshire -4 outside only a log burner for heating and toasty warm ❄️😁

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, Wold Topper said:

Define Old houses? My 1810 cottage is cool in the summer and nice n toasty in winter, it is about the design, construction materials and aspect, ie which way the maj of your windows face, i am sat here in Yorkshire -4 outside only a log burner for heating and toasty warm ❄️😁

log burners are awesome. Well the houses in London built in the 1930s .

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

good insulation most home here are wood frame construction..its not got above -20c today and i turned of my heating at 5.30am at +21c when i get home at 5.30pm it will still be +18c in my house

I wouldn't have thought wood was better than bricks. I'm intreged!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Also depends what alterations have been done to the house, the house I live in was built in the 1960's but some of the alterations that have been done over the years would have made it significantly colder in the winter than it was before. Saying that it seems they could have been done far better than how they were. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 10/12/2022 at 22:04, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Desperately require a high pressure to set up over France Spain and fetch SW winds up from the Azores. A bit like 88/89. No frost. No snow. No ice. Always said it. High pressure can do one until Spring/Summer when it is useful. 80 days till Spring. Tick tock. 

Or a continental high and low pressure to the west pumping up southerly winds from North Africa like what happened in February 1998 and 2019. 21°C recorded in Wales that Feb.

On 11/12/2022 at 19:03, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Light at the end of the tunnel. Max 9c early next week with min of 7c. Can't come soon enough. Today in Dudley a heavy slow moving snow event occured for about an hour / hour and a half this morning. 2 inches of snow fell. Awful. Pavements are now treacherous death traps. Likely will be about for another week. Slow thaw in day. Freeze at night. Still. Another 7 days towards Spring.

Looked at my phones weather forecast, forecast to reach 10 degrees next Monday, can’t believe it! 😃

On 11/12/2022 at 19:05, Ed Stone said:

What a bunch of 'shining wits' you guys are!🤣

Not everyone likes cold weather, especially when so many are struggling with heating bills.

Ill happily take the milder weather, even if it means rain.

22 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yea this is where I am this year. I a massive cold lover when it produces the goods and pretty snow. But my heating keeps clicking on every half hour or so and I keep thinking about all the money lost! I don't mind a short cold spell but I think it really needs to stop now!

Yeah I’m the same as you, like it mild or warm most of the time but I do like a bit of snow in winter, it looks pretty and I like walking in it, especially when it’s proper deep snow and not slushy or slippy.

On 11/12/2022 at 23:51, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Have to admit i'm starting to get to the not liking it stage. It's no good without snow!

I agree. Cold weather without snow is just a waste imo. Had a bit of snow here but not much. Last couple of days have just been cloudy and really cold so I’m ready for a change now, even if it means rain.

21 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

looking at the models ..this could turn out to be severely cold December here..already have mean temp sitting at -17.2c for the month.. highest temp this month so far is -2c which was on the 4th and looks like it gets even colder in the run up to Xmas with temps back down close to -40c for a fair few days 🥶

Gosh! 😮🥶 Makes Britain seem sub-tropical in comparison. I’ve heard people say though that Canada gets a drier cold than the U.K. so it doesn’t feel as cold as the temps would suggest? I would like to experience -20°C in the U.K. just once, just to see what it feels like.

17 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Working from home today in long sleeve polo kneck jumper/wooly jumper/hooded tracksuit top/fleece/wooly hat/thermal socks tucked in to trousers/thermal slippers / sleeping bag zipped up over legs. Don't you just love the persishing cold ???

I know. The cold has come at the worst time. Many are having to dress like an escimo in the house because they can’t afford to run the heating. Can’t wait till that first warm sunny spring day when I can get the shorts out! 🩳 ☀️ 

17 hours ago, ThunderHellCat said:

I'm lucky that in this coldest winter for years coinciding with the energy crisis, I find myself more cold tolerant than ever before, maybe due to being more muscular and fitter, as I have done weight training these past few years. But also for medical reasons I less cope with warmth and more with cold. 

It is interesting how the body changes as one gets older. I was so underweight when I was 20 years old, many years ago, that I had to put the heating on over 22°C, which as extremely wasteful (this was in an old house so very expensive for the time!) or I'd be freezing! 

Interesting. Most people feel the cold more as they get older. For you it’s been the reverse.

The cold weather and lack of heating that many will have to endure this winter might make people more cold tolerant, which might not be a bad thing.

13 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

good insulation most home here are wood frame construction..its not got above -20c today and i turned of my heating at 5.30am at +21c when i get home at 5.30pm it will still be +18c in my house

Wow that’s amazing, if it was -20°C here, I don’t think that house would ever even reach 18°C. I live in a brick house which I assume would be better for insulation? My back porch which has a glass roof gets really hot in summer and really cold in winter. ATM it’s barely above freezing in there! 🥶 It’s like a walk in fridge at this time of year.

12 hours ago, matt111 said:

Also depends what alterations have been done to the house, the house I live in was built in the 1960's but some of the alterations that have been done over the years would have made it significantly colder in the winter than it was before. Saying that it seems they could have been done far better than how they were. 

It made it colder? How did that happen?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It made it colder? How did that happen?

From what I understand the previous owner had the kitchen extended at the same time as building a conservatory, the kitchen extension was built to a similar standard to a conservatory and, something we didn’t realise at the time of moving, it doesn’t keep the heat in at all. Also they added stairs to a poorly insulated loft room which means the room where the stairs are doesn’t retain heat much either, not that we use that room for much. On top of that, one of the bedrooms, thankfully not mine, was a garage conversion done in the early 90’s and that doesn’t seem to be insulated very well if at all and with it being north facing it never gets any sun. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
14 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I wouldn't have thought wood was better than bricks. I'm intreged!

houses are wood frame in between is sandwiched batts of insulation and clad in either wood, PVC panels or render all three will have a higher R value than stone or brick construction esp older houses built prior to the 1990's in the UK..also forced air distributes the warmth more evenly through a property 

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

houses are wood frame in between is sandwiched batts of insulation and clad in either wood, PVC panels or render all three will have a higher R value than stone or brick construction esp older houses built prior to the 1990's in the UK..also forced air distributes the warmth more evenly through a property 

Are you a builder? lol. Your teaching me lots! Thank you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Are you a builder? lol. Your teaching me lots! Thank you

not a builder per see...i work in construction always have since i left school im now a director for the 2nd biggest construction company in Canada. Residential isnt really my bag ..although i am in charge of a $100m 35 storey tower in Edmonton if you want to invest 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Another ghastly day of horrendous cold. It hasn't been above freezing here since Sunday afternoon. Every year winter is on the horizon and I always pray we don't get stuff like this. But this year 11 days of sub zero temps haven't lightened my mood. Still. Sunday looks nailed on for some lovely mild fresh air to flood in off the Atlantic.  "I'm dreaming of a long fetch South Westerly. Just like the one in 2019. Where the temps are soaring.  No log fire roaring. I cant hear the sleigh bells in the snow!"

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I'd say we're now into safe territory in terms of the breakdown to milder, Atlantic conditions next week. It's coming out of FI into the next 5 days and model consensus is still there. Those after a white Xmas are not happy in the mad thread, but for me, that's still to play for as the milder incursion could always turn out to be a flash in the pan for just a few days.

Posted
4 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

One more day closer .... Still minus 7 now. It's truly awful. 

Yes it is. Sadly, it's beginning to look like it might only be a temporary respite. So sick of being cold.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Whichever outcome brings more sunshine is most important to me. I like the cold more than mild but there are elements of both which I like and dislike. I like this clear and frosty cold with little wind, but find it is pointless to have it at length if there is no snow. Likewise, I don't mind mild if it is mainly dry and mostly bright. Wind and rain I find unpleasant regardless of the temperature. It's going to be really mild for a short while on Sunday/Monday but the benefit is outweighed by the fact it'll be damp/wet and windy, so in that respect I prefer these azure blue skies and sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Hi. I'm a rampant heat and cold man. I don't like cold without snow but I like the synoptics and charts. Snow is great but terrible for work. I lived threw the late 60s /70s so I was lucky to exp the summer of 76 and the extreme cold 70s /80s.The middle ground isn't for me but whatever floats your boat. Let the weather do its dance and see if its a "10 from len" UTO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

For days like today where there’s wall to wall sunshine accompanying the cold, then the lack of snow doesn’t feel too bothersome. Could almost feel like a Spring’s day, minus the warmth. However, one aspect about the cold I really hate is when it’s chilly and raining, but just not quite cold enough for snow (personally the baddie of the UK Winters).

Been finding in the last few years, in particular, longing to jump straight into Spring once Christmas is through with us. Winter feels like it really drags after Christmas. 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, RJBingham said:

Looking forward to watching the rain wash away all the snow and ice. 

No snow here, but plenty of ice. I love snow but hate the cold! Especially when it drags on like this. I think it was 2010 that finished me off.

• Like 1

Posted

Great to get out of bed at 54f instead of 18f. The hideous cold gone. The ice/snow which had been around 7 days is gone. You can walk around without risking a broken leg. You won't have to put 4 layers on IN THE HOUSE to keep the freezing chill off. What's not to like? And the lovely fresh atlantic air and the rain. Frigid stagnant air confined to the dustbin. Love it. Even just for a week. May be more.

• Like 3

Posted
On 12/12/2022 at 23:19, cheeky_monkey said:

I remember how nice and warm the flat I stayed in while living in Toronto was. When I returned to London after 2 years of living in Canada, I couldn’t believe how cold I felt back at my mum’s flat, in March 2001 with outside temps of 8-12c. It was cold,  because our homes are poorly insulated compared to ones in Canada.

• Like 1