Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
27 minutes ago, Lloyd1 said:

Does anyone have the actual December 2010 chart for comparison, thanks 

This page shows you the progression of charts through the period of interest (the interesting bit is really what occurred in the last week or so of November). The polar vortex starts crashing into northern Europe around the 22nd.

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=20&month=11&hour=0&year=2010&map=0&region=nh&mode=2&type=era

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Graphics, NatureCould contain: Art, Graphics, Modern Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Not worried by tonight's GFS. Seems like modelling is still struggling somewhat with the Atlantic Troughs next week. 

With an interesting GEM output tonight, it shows the mid term is far from solved yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

18z vs 12z - Just, I don't even know at this point what is happening here..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Person, Nature, Face, HeadCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Sea, Water

Ha ha

keeping the strong jet on the other side of the NH for this winter😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Nope - the chart on the left was the day 10 eps mean forecast from mid nov 2010 !   What did everyone assume I was comparing ??

thought that but ran out of posts and been watching boxing since - do you save all the ens suites?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Minds greater than mine help me out with models and here we see the East Pacific trough get really sharp at day 6

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Dinosaur, Reptile, Animal, Hurricane, StormCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Map

Results positively for -NAO development - we don't have a jet marching through vs the retrogression - things are slowed up. Did not expect to see it flat line south however as per 18z -

3 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

What are we looking at exactly?

The Jet stream.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This trajectory fires up this low, much deeper than 12z indicating 18z progressive run possibly vs Ens.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art

Edited by lorenzo
Finishing sentence
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Are we ignoring the parallel run again now?  It’s looking pretty poor on that model compared to recent days. 

Not at all and it's a great call out. Parallel is on the other side of the envelope, given the prior trends and clusters a rebound to the chart below would represent quite a coup. Ens will be worth a look. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, ArtCould contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Person, Art

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Not at all and it's a great call out. Parallel is on the other side of the envelope.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Yep totally agree,...it doesn't tie in with the anomalies one bit,one for the bin.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

Yep totally agree,...it doesn't tie in with the anomalies one bit,one for the bin.

And to think its this thats gona take over the op!!what rubbish 😒🤪!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Those of you of a cold persuasion may like to see the last NOAA 500 mb anomaly chart for 6-10 days ahead.

For those not used to these charts don't get contour lines (in green) and the dashed blue and red lines showing negative and positive anomalies where shown.

The charts are pretty reliable if they show consistency from day to day, which they have over the past 3 days. However a lot of caution is needed to interprete them. I'll maybe have time sometime tomorrow morning to give my take on what they may suggest at the surface.

Thanks John. I think it would be very useful for many myself included to start to learn these charts. Would save a lot of run to run shenanigans and Chuckle bros episodes. Tia

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Just watch the cold encroach from the north from t300 on gfs18z..jff

animwme0.thumb.gif.30dfcfc38a921afb8c7233f79ba8a9f8.gif

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Nature

Edited by minus10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

The problem is any real cold is getting pushed further and further back 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In terms of potential, it really doesn't get any better than this. We have had to endure some incredibly mediocre December's over the last decade and some. Let's hope this will be one to remember. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

A word of caution, at D10 the Greenland HP anomaly is not as pronounced in the GEFS, I would imagine a few more failed WAA attempts in there.

I’d like to see a much better op and parallel tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

A word of caution, at D10 the Greenland HP anomaly is not as pronounced in the GEFS, I would imagine a few more failed WAA attempts in there.

Pub run though. Maybe we should be more worried if it showed the new ice age at day 10 lol. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Not too shabby tbh 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art, Hurricane, Storm

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Also, if I had a pound for every time GFS has promised us something like this at day 10 and beyond, I'd be rich. If, however, I had a pound for every time this sort of chart made its way down to day 4, I'd be hardly any better off than I am now 🤣

• Like 2