Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Not sure if posted yesterday, but Aidan McGivern posted this yesterday.  As I expected, UKMO very much on the fence - due to it being Christmas period and the threat to infrastructure. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

I think the issue is North Sea and n Atlantic temps 

anoms

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Mountain, Map, Atlas, Diagram

If we do see some of that proper cold advected over from the Asian part of the vortex, then this will be a real snow making machine! Sub -15 uppers if we miraculously do get them will give us “lake effect” type snowfall probably not seen since 1987! BFTE came close, but the sea was anomalously cold! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

I know this morning's runs are old news by now, but I thought it was interesting to note that all three ensemble spreads show their greatest uncertainty on heights to be along the western edge of Greenland, rather than over Norway where the trough might fall.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, StormCould contain: Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Person, Nature, Face, Head, PatternCould contain: Outdoors, Face, Person, Head, Accessories, Nature, Outer Space, AstronomyCould contain: Face, Person, Head, Accessories, Outdoors, Outer Space, Astronomy, Pattern, Nature

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 6

Posted
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

If we do see some of that proper cold adverted over from the Asian part of the vortex, then this will be a real snow making machine! Sub -15 uppers if we miraculously do get them will give us “lake effect” type snowfall probably not seen since 1987! BFTE came close, but the sea was anomalously cold! 

We haven’t seen much in the way of any extended modelling showing anything sub -10c making it as far as the U.K. though. Probability in period 10/15 days around 5% max. Those low uppers held over scandi and the Baltic states. 

and the last few days have rowed back on that Asian vortex pushing into the n European sector of the NH with an extension from it the best we can hope for. 

of course if we see a new cycle develop beyond this later in December then who knows 

• Like 3

Posted

Icon run isn’t great over the polar field and certainly missing amplification over Greenland 

let’s hope it’s not a portent of the 12z suites …..

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Icon run isn’t great over the polar field and certainly missing amplification over Greenland 

I was thinking that, however when looking between the last 6 hours there’s defo an injection on WAA heading Greenlands way heading in a NE direction - so maybe it would work out well. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I was thinking that, however when looking between the last 6 hours there’s defo an injection on WAA heading Greenlands way heading in a NE direction - so maybe it would work out well. 

Yep. Can see it  but as @bluearmy suggests the polar is the poorest we have see for a while..

Do nit want any moves towards it on gfs and ecm at this range

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

It’s possible but another route will just upset the natives ………

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I really hope this isn't the start of a unravelling...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

So far so good on the GFS?? High even looks a little stronger 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

GFS 108 is that conductive for snow , looks like -8 uppers with a cold pool incoming ?  bit kinky over the southeast.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
4 minutes ago, IDO said:

I think we can call the Iberian low out of the game as a spoiler in the reliable:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram T108> Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Sea, Water, Person

So, we get that slack easterly and a cold pool from D3. However, the low never really dissipates and will rebound in the medium term, but initial worries now relinquished.

There are certainly some interesting options for it to "rebound" among the ensembles...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Graphics, Art, Outdoors, Modern Art, Pattern, Nature

Posted
6 minutes ago, IDO said:

I think we can call the Iberian low out of the game as a spoiler in the reliable:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram T108> Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Sea, Water, Person

So, we get that slack easterly and a cold pool from D3. However, the low never really dissipates and will rebound in the medium term, but initial worries now relinquished.

still a risk of back door route to - that was not there on 06Z?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

Posted

The GFS building that Greeny high nicely by day 5, unlike the icon thankfully. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2