Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
Just now, Sunny76 said:

but the music was better lol.

In the 80's? I think you forget quite how much terrible music came out in the 1980's...

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Gowon said:

You're right, not everybody needs to push weights, but it helped my situation.

I do a lot more walking then weights nowadays though.👍

I might start using the resistance bands my partner bought a while ago. I was using them in the summer but stopped after a few weeks. 

I like doing star jumps for a minute in the mornings, as that wakes me up. The only issue I have is the noise it creates lol.

Just now, throwoff said:

In the 80's? I think you forget quite how much terrible music came out in the 1980's...

I think the 80s was better than the 2000s or 2010s, but every decade has good and bad.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

Does John Hammond from the MetO know something we dont?

He is on GB News saying the mild blip this weekend will be swept away next week to be followed by a Arctic plunge before Christmas.

Wow what a ramper!

Andy

Gutted  to see John appearing on KGB news 😢 

Delighted with what he said though 👏 

1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

Does John Hammond from the MetO know something we dont?

He is on GB News saying the mild blip this weekend will be swept away next week to be followed by a Arctic plunge before Christmas.

Wow what a ramper!

Andy

Gutted  to see John appearing on KGB news 😢 

Delighted with what he said though 👏 

• Like 7

Posted

The nearest met office weather station to me is saying it was -8C overnight warming up to -7C by 10-am.

The depressing part of that is, it is showing "light rain" for a couple of those hours when it is -8C or -7C.

That's when you know that the weather cards are not going to fall your way this cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

By saying this I open myself up to ridicule come March 20th - having said that, I just have a feeling that we haven’t seen the best of what this winter has to offer yet. I’m hoping (and feeling) January and February of 2023 will show their icy hand. Just hope it doesn’t do a 2001/2002 on us. I can imagine coldies were absolutely gutted that winter. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days
25 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s always been a tough and brutal place. If we went back to 1980, the USA and Soviet Union were threatening an all out nuclear war risk, unemployment was high, and people were struggling to make ends meet, riots and racism, but the music was better lol.

You can go back to any time in history and find hard times. For me these last couple of years, in my lifetime I might add. Been the most challenging. From what I have witnessed. 

80’s arguably best decade for indie bands. Got me into The Pixies and Stone Roses. 90’s weren’t too bad and I’d say 2000-2005 had some good stuff in it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days
8 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

By saying this I open myself up to ridicule come March 20th - having said that, I just have a feeling that we haven’t seen the best of what this winter has to offer yet. I’m hoping (and feeling) January and February of 2023 will show their icy hand. Just hope it doesn’t do a 2001/2002 on us. I can imagine coldies were absolutely gutted that winter. 

I remember that winter. Mainly because the 2 that precluded it were absolute wash outs. Was playing local football at the time and there was a huge fixture pile up at the back end of those winters because of months of waterlogged pitches. 

Played on some frozen pitches during December 2001 and was excited at the prospect of maybe bringing out the yellow ball for a snow match. Hadn’t played in one since my school days. Was gutted the snow never came our way.

Posted
On 12/12/2022 at 11:20, DJ Fart said:

"Once the cold air is in place, it's very hard to shift!"

A week of frosty nights then back to 13 degrees next week!  

You’re a bit of a wind up merchant to be quite honest or you just don’t pay attention maybe both, it has been a noticeable cold spell in my part of London by far biggest December snow event in 12 years, the snow is still holding on rather well here after nearly more than 48 hours later this is rare for these parts. It was already meant to have turned milder from today. Live temps much country seeing rare ice day. -4C in Bedfordshire in afternoon! This is noteworthy cold weather. Period.

Could contain: Land, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Coast, Shoreline, Plot, Chart

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

You’re a bit of a wind up merchant to be quite honest or you just don’t pay attention maybe both, it has been a noticeable cold spell in my part of London by far biggest December snow event in 12 years, the snow is still holding on rather well here after nearly more than 48 hours later this is rare for these parts. It was already meant to have turned milder from today. Live temps much country seeing rare ice day. -4C in Bedfordshire in afternoon! This is noteworthy cold weather. Period.

Could contain: Land, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Coast, Shoreline, Plot, Chart

Also the fact the mild spell is turning more into a mild blip now. It’s not been a historic cold spell (yet) but it has been notable. Many years don’t see heavy snow and have it lay for days on end in the capital. Dare I say even before the 1990s it wasn’t an every year kind of thing. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
35 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

It doesn't get more back to front than that winter! Looking through the charts of 01/02, December definitely looked like a February and February looked more like a typical December. I think January was the worst of the months though simply for how dull it was - anticyclonic gloom then Atlantic gloom. February was actually quite sunny here with a lot of Pm air between lows, but very wet.

If this winter goes down that route, it'll just be another one to fade into the background. Fingers crossed not though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst this cold spell has been nice when the sun was out, I don't think it will go down as being a particularly memorable one. On the other hand it does make a change to have such a spell in December, which is often mild and wet. This spell has been particularly great for 2022 standards, which saw every month prior to December above or well above average. Be quite a turnaround to have the last month of the year finishing below average as I am sure many of us weren't expecting it. Just shows how quickly our weather patterns can change.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Yeh still loads of snow here 48 hrs later, very cold day today. Temps barely getting above 0c, sub zero dew points so almost no snow melt at all today. At just under 6 inches measured on Sunday night as the snow was clearing, it’s easily been our deepest snowfall in suburban London for quite a few years.

Taken today:

Could contain: Road, Outdoors, Car, Vehicle, Nature, Weather, Tree, Ice, Fire Hydrant, Suburb

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Nature, Tree, Plant, Weather, Fir, Yard, Backyard, Snow

Edited by danm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

BBC showing the south back into the teens on Monday, possibly the peak of the milder air?

Could contain: Person, Woman, Adult, Female, Text, Number, Symbol

I'm not too certain of my memory here, Gav; but, wasn't London 15C on January 1st 1982?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm not too certain of my memory here, Gav; but, wasn't London 15C on January 1st 1982?

'twas also around 15C in mid-January 1947.

😅😊

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Not sure Gav was born then - i was too young to remember exact dates in 1982 but a warm up started on 1st - this would have been the peak of the heat i would have thought.

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Accessories, Modern Art, Outdoors, Nature

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Agreed - the cold is noteworthy and the duration of cold too. The UK does not often see 8 consecutive days like this. Not "historic" at this stage but certainly noteworthy.

Sadly, as a snow lover, I am yet to see a flake and even the forecast fog has pretty much failed to materialise. It is cold, and the frost yesterday was quite impressive through the day - but nothing to warm the cockles of a snow lover's heart. As well as being noteworthy for the cold I think this is also a noteworthy spell for the length of time a trough has sat in situ with little to no movement. I had assumed all along that some degree of evolution would occur which would shift the winds around - but instead it has steadfastly refused to introduce an easterly element into the flow and so the north has been pummelled and continues to be so, while those in the east and centre are left dry. Good to see those in the SE get some fun recently and even a few parts of the west have cashed in on the flow around the end of the trough. 

I must just keep telling myself that patience is a virtue and hope that the next bout of amplification sees something more nationwide. The concern would be that we may not get many cyclical amplification events before AAM falls and we slip into a more normal Nina pattern. At the moment MJO constructive interference and a GWO orbit that sits are pretty much neutral keep us in the amplification game, but if a SSW fails to materialise I suspect AAM will fall through winter and leave us looking at a fairly flat February. So - either the trop pattern needs to get a shift on and break the vortex or we have about 6-7 weeks left to cash in via the next momentum surge or possibly the one after that. It seems daft to put a whole season into such a small window of opportunity but in the new CC world we now inhabit I do think our opportunities for deep cold are becoming narrower in date span and less common. The upper vortex is well above normal, as per CC theory, and regularly this is the case in recent winters. If it remains intact and downwells then it will be game over. The clock is ticking - but meanwhile enjoy your snow!

• Insightful 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, danm said:

Yeh still loads of snow here 48 hrs later, very cold day today. Temps barely getting above 0c, sub zero dew points so almost no snow melt at all today. At just under 6 inches measured on Sunday night as the snow was clearing, it’s easily been our deepest snowfall in suburban London for quite a few years.

Taken today:

Could contain: Road, Outdoors, Car, Vehicle, Nature, Weather, Tree, Ice, Fire Hydrant, Suburb

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Nature, Tree, Plant, Weather, Fir, Yard, Backyard, Snow

Wow, a great spell of weather for you!!  I'm heading south on Thursday, so hopefully much of the snow will still be laying then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Oh right, sorry Dan, didn't realise the meteorological world starts and stops in your part of the world. However, luckily for me you ended your comment with PERIOD so I consider myself told!

🤣

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, DJ Fart said:

Oh right, sorry Dan, didn't realise the meteorological world starts and stops in your part of the world. However, luckily for me you ended your comment with PERIOD so I consider myself told!

🤣

Ok DJ fart… I don’t think you realise I live in one of most snow deprived areas of country. Sea level - inner London! It is a confirmation the cold spell is not your typical one.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather lover and heat hater

Slight moan, third day in a row without any sunshine which is a stark contrast to how the month/cold spell started. Hopefully we will see some over the coming days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Daniel* said:

Ok DJ fart… I don’t think you realise I live in one of most snow deprived areas of country. Sea level - inner London! It is a confirmation the cold spell is not your typical one.  

Not saying it isn't, mate. The reality for those of us a little bit older is that this isn't, yet, a particularly big deal. It's great to have snow laying about; I was in London on Sunday night with my family enjoying the Christmas markets and it was lovely having snow falling. But that doesn't detract from the fact that it isn't, yet, that big a deal. Cold, yes. Notable, maybe. Roll on January and February and maybe we'll get something more pronounced in. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Nothing against Northwestsnow but shouldn't that post be removed? (About Hammond and GB News)...I had a post removed straight away because I mentioned a certain political winter in 1978/79 and this could be this millenniums version.

Onto the weather...and yes could be just a mild blip by this weekend before things turn colder again before Xmas but does worry me when GFS starts getting consistent with some of it's medium to FI output, seen it before only to drop it in the foreseeable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
41 minutes ago, Don said:

Wow, a great spell of weather for you!!  I'm heading south on Thursday, so hopefully much of the snow will still be laying then?

Possibly so, depending on how much temperatures rise above zero and how much sunshine we get over the next couple of days. Where abouts are you going to? Not everywhere in the SE got as much snow. Some didn’t get any.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Nothing against Northwestsnow but shouldn't that post be removed? (About Hammond and GB News)...I had a post removed straight away because I mentioned a certain political winter in 1978/79 and this could be this millenniums version.

Onto the weather...and yes could be just a mild blip by this weekend before things turn colder again before Xmas but does worry me when GFS starts getting consistent with some of it's medium to FI output, seen it before only to drop it in the foreseeable.

Eh?! What's wrong with mentioning Hammond and GB news in a post about a televised weather forecast? Perplexed🤔

EDIT: Ah, Penrith Snow mentioned H and GB N first; then NWS added a comment about GB N.

Get it now - apologies.👍

Edited by Bristle Si