Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

I also think this cold spell will be a huge disappointment for a lot of people

I hope I'm wrong, like i said it before, but i just can't see a lot of precipitation . It's going to be cold but mostly dry unfortunately in my opinion 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

How do the homeless in Canada and other countries that routinely face near-Arctic conditions manage? They get shelter. Just like the homeless in this country are offered when the weather turns nasty to sleep out in.

That's absolute nonsense and needs to be called out. The lack of compassion demonstrated in that post is quite something. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Why is it every morning the charts being posted are t+168, 192, 210 etc? Always in the unreliable range. And booms everywhere. 

odd to see so little cold air in North America / Canada though 

Edited by JoeShmoe
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Personally, I’m really excited by the models showing ‘proper’ wintry weather. I balance that with my concern for the vast number of people who ARE struggling, homeless or not. It’s not much, but the best I can do is to donate to Shelter and the warm banks (not as a salve to my conscience I hasten to add)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
34 minutes ago, coffeeandtv said:

That's absolute nonsense and needs to be called out. The lack of compassion demonstrated in that post is quite something. 

How is that lacking compassion?

Most homeless people are offered accommodation in harsh conditions, just like they were during the pandemic.

Of course, some will decline for their own reasons and others may not get the offer at all unfortunately. However what I said was factually true.

Also, FYI, more than once I’ve offered food and money to the homeless locally. So don’t you dare call me lacking in compassion.

People should just come out and say they don’t like cold weather rather than trying to spit their bile about the output in the form of guilt tripping other members. I don’t find it hard to admit I hate hot weather!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The charts this morning are getting me excited✊💦😋

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
2 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Not a guilt trip but you can't help thinking of the homeless when there is freezing weather.  As someone who was homeless sleeping rough myself for a short while in December 2000 I am very thankful for the few mild days and nights. Could've been much worse.  

I appreciate (and share) many of your concerns about the upcoming cold spell, however asking how anyone can like this type of weather does, on the face of it, appear to be an attempt to guilt trip others.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Not trying to ramp or anything, but judging by the outputs we're currently seeing a national emergency will have to be put into affect for the upcoming cold spell. 'Central Government will declare a Level 4 alert in the event of severe or prolonged cold weather affecting sectors other than health.' This is most definitely going to be quite a prolonged and severe spell of cold weather, with no end in sight on the models currently.

Could contain: Page, Text

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
22 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Why is it every morning the charts being posted are t+168, 192, 210 etc? Always in the unreliable range. And booms everywhere. 

odd to see so little cold air in North America / Canada though 

GFS…..

C4F18671-5C33-4AF3-B553-C888E1F95EA7.thumb.gif.c4a42fcc4ba5239a12890b25f559be70.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Typical.... all charts point to an extended cold spell, increasing the chance of (dare I say it) a White Christmas! 

Guess who’s not in the country! (If my flights not snowed in lol)

Posted
Just now, V for Very Cold said:

Typical.... all charts point to an extended cold spell, increasing the chance of (dare I say it) a White Christmas! 

Guess who’s not in the country! (If my flights not snowed in lol)

It’s ok, take one for the team 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, mathematician said:

I also think this cold spell will be a huge disappointment for a lot of people

I hope I'm wrong, like i said it before, but i just can't see a lot of precipitation . It's going to be cold but mostly dry unfortunately in my opinion 

We're going to be sat under a very slack low, surrounded by very warm seas, as it's early in the winter still. We#re more liekly to struggle to stay dry/snowless

Posted
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

How is that lacking compassion?

Most homeless people are offered accommodation in harsh conditions, just like they were during the pandemic.

Of course, some will decline for their own reasons and others may not get the offer at all unfortunately. However what I said was factually true.

Also, FYI, more than once I’ve offered food and money to the homeless locally. So don’t you dare call me lacking in compassion.

People should just come out and say they don’t like cold weather rather than trying to spit their bile about the output in the form of guilt tripping other members. I don’t find it hard to admit I hate hot weather!

Just remember Crewe, that yours and my loving bitter cold and snow, has no affect on the weather whatsoever, the weather will do as it pleases, so you can be totally guilt free, unless the other person is implying that you have a direct phone line to god and are asking him to make it cold.....then you should feel awful! 😁

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Just remember Crewe, that yours and my loving bitter cold and snow, has no affect on the weather whatsoever, the weather will do as it pleases, so you can be totally guilt free, unless the other person is implying that you have a direct phone line to god and are asking him to make it cold.....then you should feel awful! 😁

I’ll let a lot of things slide on here but when someone comes along and (wrongly) questions your integrity as a person, I tend to say something back.

Anyone who knows me in real life would name compassion and empathy as one of my most prominent traits! In fact if I had £1 for every time I heard ‘you’re too soft’ I’d be a rich man.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
56 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Could contain: Land, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Sea, Person, Man, Adult, Male, Shoreline

C0F99338-E396-424D-9092-EE91EFB71220.thumb.gif.e29d7955801424ff3b41094d4f695bcb.gif

That seems a tad premature! How often do we see features pop up at 24 hours notice in this kind of set-up? It's not like we'll be under a 1030mb high!

Wanted to comment on the social side of the cold spell. Now I'm very much against weather guilt tripping. But I can't help thinking this might be the worst possible year for the coldest winter of the millennium (that's imagination btw, not a forecast!). We hear rumours the country could actually run out of energy, and as much as they are pushed back, you do wonder. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

That seems a tad premature! How often do we see features pop up at 24 hours notice in this kind of set-up? It's not like we'll be under a 1030mb high!

Wanted to comment on the social side of the cold spell. Now I'm very much against weather guilt tripping. But I can't help thinking this might be the worst possible year for the coldest winter of the millennium (that's imagination btw, not a forecast!). We hear rumours the country could actually run out of energy, and as much as they are pushed back, you do wonder. 

We won’t run out of energy.

Actually, we might personally. Following these models is knackering!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Not trying to ramp or anything, but judging by the outputs we're currently seeing a national emergency will have to be put into affect for the upcoming cold spell. 

True. Prolonged periods of temperatures near or below zero as forecast may spell trouble for scarce gas reserves and tight electric generation capacity, especially if coupled with a cold, gloomy, windless spell, if after any snow the high settles over the north of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I’ll let a lot of things slide on here but when someone comes along and (wrongly) questions your integrity as a person, I tend to say something back.

Anyone who knows me in real life would name compassion and empathy as one of my most prominent traits! In fact if I had £1 for every time I heard ‘you’re too soft’ I’d be a rich man.

No worries matey 🙂

I work for a charity looking after people with learning difficulties, and I only have to mention snow and a couple of people lynch me like I've just eaten a baby or something, it's always.........  "why would you wish for that, don't you know how much heating costs and that the elderly will struggle to get out, and just think of the animals!!" etc.

I always retort with "I hope to win the lottery too, but I guess you'd get angry with me for that as well?  Do you think I'm a god or something??"

I hope we have the coldest winter on record.....for the record!!   I also hope that there is so much snow, that I cannot get to work 400 yards away 😄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
25 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

We won’t run out of energy.

It depends what you mean by ‘running out’. 

Capacity induced blackouts will certainly feel like we’ve run out of energy, and they are quite a real risk right now…more so than Joe Public realises 

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Beanz said:

It depends what you mean by ‘running out’. 

Capacity induced blackouts will certainly feel like we’ve run out of energy, and they are quite a real risk right now…more so than Joe Public realises 

Would take me back to the 70s, as the pic on the tv gradually got smaller, then......lights out, all out😁

• Like 4

Posted

I get bewildered by the excitement on the model thread followed by the BBC app and TV forecast showing nothing but a bit of frost and sunshine in the vast majority of the country. One group or t'other is in for egg on their collective face. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I suppose it’s possible to be massively looking forward to some proper winter weather AND have concern for the most vulnerable, AND fret about bills, AND worry about whether gas/electric might be rationed. 

In the binary world of the internet it is sometimes forgotten that you can have more than one thought at a time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1