Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
4 hours ago, johncam said:

Met really don't have any real snow away from far north and over mountains , think there is going to be a lot of disappointment on the mod thread

Yes, as I mentioned yesterday, wise heads and caution are needed as ever. We go through this every year with the "greatest charts I've ever seen..." posts making their annual appearance. It's been no different since 2001 on this and the other site. Some forget that we are a temperate - not continental climate! At least the energy bills won't be put under too much strain👍 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Collage, OutdoorsCould contain: Modern Art, Art, CollageCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

L to R: ECM 00z, ECM 12z, GFS 12z, GFS 18z, GEM 12z all variations of a welcome theme at T+120.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
54 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

And here my hubby took the total Mick out of me this evening and said that he looks forward to the day after tomorrow weather!  

PS I have a £40 bet with him that snow will be lying on the road by Wednesday!

You'd better hope that this Marge Simpson-shaped warning for Wednesday gets extended westwards, otherwise you might be going "d'oh":

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Shoreline, Rainforest, Vegetation, Coast, Ketchup

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I read the latest Met update, I think suggesting that accumulations of snow away from northern Scotland will be reserved only for the higher hills is most likely downplaying it a bit too much unless you live around Exeter.  The setup looks to me like a slightly less cold version of what we had around 20-24 December 2009, and the December 2009 setup brought lying snow to some coastal areas of north-west England for a time, such as Blackpool and Morecambe.

I don't envisage there being a comparably widespread snow cover, though, because in the December 2009 spell, many areas of the UK had already picked up a snow cover from the preceding easterly on 17/18 December.  The current easterly is nothing like as cold, so it is probable that most of the UK will enter the cold spell late next week with no snow cover and with relatively warm ground temperatures.  Thus, I envisage accumulations of snow at low levels being localised, away from windward coasts and under heavier precipitation associated with troughs, which will be hard to pin down until near the time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst some snow would be nice, I would be more than happy with just a frost as that is something we still haven't had yet. Going by the forecast, it does indeed look like we'll be getting some frosts. 

After such a mild/warm year, it's nice to finally have something different. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst some snow would be nice, I would be more than happy with just a frost as that is something we still haven't had yet. Going by the forecast, it does indeed look like we'll be getting some frosts. 

After such a mild/warm year, it's nice to finally have something different. 

Pretty sure you can garentee that this week from Tuesday night onwards .... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Would be nice to see one here, we don't get them as early as most but to have not even really come close to one yet is unusual

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Arpege take on the feature for Thursday.Got to think that there will be quite a few disturbances crop up at short notice as has always been the case with a sustained arctic flow.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Vegetation, Plant, Rainforest, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Sea

That’s on top of my house. Let’s hope!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters

If the temperatures are likely to be as cold as the Mod thread seems to imply, why are there no cold alert warnings coming out of public health England or others .... surely a big freeze is as much news as 40C heat wave was in the summer? People need to prepare for cold. People, livestock, pets etc can all die in cold weather. 

Thoughts? Will UK make announcements? 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, RabbitEars said:

If the temperatures are likely to be as cold as the Mod thread seems to imply, why are there no cold alert warnings coming out of public health England or others .... surely a big freeze is as much news as 40C heat wave was in the summer? People need to prepare for cold. People, livestock, pets etc can all die in cold weather. 

Thoughts? Will UK make announcements? 

Check daytime Temperatures for your location on the Met Office. Cold, but nowhere near the apocalyptic nonsense spewed out on the mad thread.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I see the MetOffice have issued a Yellow Snow warning for Scotland…….    That’s nothing new - my parents were always warning me not to eat it!   🤪

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters
13 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Check daytime Temperatures for your location on the Met Office. Cold, but nowhere near the apocalyptic nonsense spewed out on the mad thread.

Met office UK doesn't gather temperature for isle of man. I have access to our public forecast locally. I was talking about wider health warnings about cold. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

If you read through the MOD topic their outlook is 10ft of snow and temperatures at -10. Could happen 🙂

I'm not fussed about snow (well yes I am as I like it)... I'm more concerned that the vulnerablity of people already struggling with the energy cost crisis is going to increase. And that the public should be being told about how cold it will be, particularly if its below average.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
23 minutes ago, RabbitEars said:

I'm not fussed about snow (well yes I am as I like it)... I'm more concerned that the vulnerablity of people already struggling with the energy cost crisis is going to increase. And that the public should be being told about how cold it will be, particularly if its below average.  

Although mild is my preferred choice if it snows it snows. Yes i agree the energy cost will have a massive impact if we have a prolonged cold spell. That lot in the MOD topic though couldn't care less as long as it's cold!

• Like 5

Posted

2010 saw temperatures around -15C here in a similar setup. Not saying the same will happen but under the right conditions (snowfall, slack winds, clear skies) temperatures will be very cold. Will be more like Dec 2009 then 2010 imo. 

Edited by Frigid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather lover and heat hater

A cracking spell of very cold weather coming up this week considering how relentlessly warm it's been. Even if far out as expected milder weather finds us mid-December we'd have already beaten last winter for cold! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, fromey said:

Met office now have a cold action level 3 warning out, they issued a level 1 yesterday! That escalated quickly!

Worth pointing out that Level 1 is used all winter as the base level, it can then be increased from level 2 through to 4