Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Nothing here I suspect never get snow of these set ups unless some disturbance forms in the Irish Sea 

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Probably better than watching it rain because it's 1°C too warm while most of the country is enjoying snow. Been there many times 😢 

So have I, i think it was three or four winters ago, it was hovering around 1c and big showers were arriving.

I stayed up till the middle of the night, i was delighted to see huge flakes coming down, and settling.

It eased off, but radar showed plenty more coming, but the temp went up slightly, and all the rest of it was rain

Just soggy remnants of wet snow left on rooftops by daylight

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

But it hasn’t just popped up out of nowhere - it’s been modelled for a few days now. Just that no one believed it would verify! 

I’ll agree with you that we could have done without it 

I struggled to believe the totally unsupported initial ECM solution, which was to show it smashing into the UK and taking the roof off my house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of cold down here during this week. Certainly no ice days, but at least the sun begins to makes an appearance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Is it just me or does anyone else not get excited about snow prospects being from the south and we so rarely get it down here?  Add  to that the cost of the extra energy to keep warm, checked my energy hub the and using £7-8 of gas and electric a day and that was during a week day eek

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else not get excited about snow prospects being from the south and we so rarely get it down here?  Add  to that the cost of the extra energy to keep warm, checked my energy hub the and using £7-8 of gas and electric a day and that was during a week day eek

No, it's nae only you, TG... Back in the Good Old Days one could pretty-much rely on one or two decent (usually transient) snowfalls coming up from France. These days alas, a few blobs of sleet /freezing drizzle seem to be about the best one can hope for!🤫😱

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Gutted to see all of you in the west feeling deflated, can’t wait for us in the eastern counties though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
24 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Gutted to see all of you in the west feeling deflated, can’t wait for us in the eastern counties though 

Standard wishbone effect problems. Away from east and west coasts, we’ve got to rely on more organised disturbances in the flow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

The irony is. That post was posted in the mad thread. It was then moved here to the moans thread. Then deemed not worthy. Oh well 

That I get -- it, like many a post from yours truly, really wasn't worthy of the MAD thread and was rightly moved, but surely a wee laugh never hurt anybody?🤔

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

How can the model think that the South-East and East Anglia get so little snow from a cold unstable airmass with an easterly flow over warmer seas?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
16 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

How can the model think that the South-East and East Anglia get so little snow from a cold unstable airmass with an easterly flow over warmer seas?

It can happen occasionally. The easterly of late Dec 05 delivered mostly for north east England, not much even here.

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Good work . If the ECM goes for the beast in the morning , this place will be in utter meltdown 😄🤞🏻

It will probably send the hurricane up towards Iceland to cause maximum annoyance and irritation.

Posted

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Plan, Diagram, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art

Latest T+120 rundown L to R: Fax (featuring wishbone troughs), ECM, GEM & GFS. Overall patterns similar, but detailed alignments differ, setting up greater variations later on.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I think most places will see snow within the next 7 days.

Even central London and the South East,  further North and East, copious amounts 15cm + there you go I've said it .

Enjoy the models, and further weather warnings from the Met Office in the next 48hrs.

Stay lucky everyone. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Who remember the theme of this thread five months ago when it was "How can anyone appreciate thy heat"? Well now it's my turn.. how can anyone look forward to freezing nights and those dreadful frozen mornings? Not a great weather outlook for those wanting to keep their gas bills down or the homeless folk. And everyone spreading their germs just in time for seasons greetings...I hope all those chasing days of below zero uppers are prepared for spending Christmas with a cold and sore throat caught during the Christmas rush !  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
49 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Who remember the theme of this thread five months ago when it was "How can anyone appreciate thy heat"? Well now it's my turn.. how can anyone look forward to freezing nights and those dreadful frozen mornings? Not a great weather outlook for those wanting to keep their gas bills down or the homeless folk. And everyone spreading their germs just in time for seasons greetings...I hope all those chasing days of below zero uppers are prepared for spending Christmas with a cold and sore throat caught during the Christmas rush !  

Merry Christmas 🎅 Ho Ho Ho, yes I'll spend Christmas with a sore throat and chesty cough, 

Symptoms eased with a Whisky or 2

And a cigar and a roaring log fire.

I hope your Christmas is going to be as happy as mine. 

I'll spread my festive wishes to you and your family and not my germs.

Stay happy and warm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Guilt-tripping people for liking any kind of weather is stupid. That goes for heat in summer and cold in winter. What’s the point of being a weather enthusiast if the only weather you’re allowed to enjoy is 20C and partly cloudy? Might as well take up knitting. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
48 minutes ago, cheese said:

Guilt-tripping people for liking any kind of weather is stupid. That goes for heat in summer and cold in winter. What’s the point of being a weather enthusiast if the only weather you’re allowed to enjoy is 20C and partly cloudy? Might as well take up knitting. 

Not a guilt trip but you can't help thinking of the homeless when there is freezing weather.  As someone who was homeless sleeping rough myself for a short while in December 2000 I am very thankful for the few mild days and nights. Could've been much worse.  

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
26 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Not a guilt trip but you can't help thinking of the homeless when there is freezing weather.  As someone who was homeless sleeping rough myself for a short while in December 2000 I am very thankful for the few mild days and nights. Could've been much worse.  

How do the homeless in Canada and other countries that routinely face near-Arctic conditions manage? They get shelter. Just like the homeless in this country are offered when the weather turns nasty to sleep out in.

No heat lover can begrudge cold lovers a decent cold spell after being treated to a record hot temperature in the summer and multiple spells of stifling heat.

I'll ask a question. If you had been offered that record breaking heat in summer in exchange for a few weeks of cold in the following winter, would you have taken it? Of course you would have. the homeless wouldn't have even been a consideration for you.

That's how weather preferences work. It's great when you get what you want, sucks when you have to endure the opposite.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
4 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Your weather preference includes 'Winter'  - looks like your account's been hacked 😟

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

How do the homeless in Canada and other countries that routinely face near-Arctic conditions manage? They get shelter. Just like the homeless in this country are offered when the weather turns nasty to sleep out in.

No heat lover can begrudge cold lovers a decent cold spell after being treated to a record hot temperature in the summer and multiple spells of stifling heat.

I'll ask a question. If you had been offered that record breaking heat in summer in exchange for a few weeks of cold in the following winter, would you have taken it? Of course you would have. the homeless wouldn't have even been a consideration for you.

That's how weather preferences work. It's great when you get what you want, sucks when you have to endure the opposite.

That was a hot spell over just two days. This is a cold spell with signs of lasting beyond two weeks of course we all have a weather preferences but no harm in showing consideration for those who don't have the benefit of any shelter or warmth.  I'd like to think there is plenty of shelter for the homeless but there just isn't. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Could contain: Land, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Sea, Person, Man, Adult, Male, Shoreline

C0F99338-E396-424D-9092-EE91EFB71220.thumb.gif.e29d7955801424ff3b41094d4f695bcb.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looking pants! no snow due at all looking at models, bbc also seem to be going for wishbone, cold and dry the main feature