Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Why is this GFS run taking so long to get out?

FI is going to be minging (for cold) but there are signs in that run that mild is not inevitable

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Why is this GFS run taking so long to get out?

FI is going to be minging (for cold) but there are signs in that run that mild is not inevitable

It's currently on strike 😂, so I been reading some of the comments on the model discussion, as things look by the end of next week less cold air/milder air will be moving onto the UK?

But would a Atlantic ridge/high pressure or wedges be able to delay that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
6 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

It's currently on strike 😂, so I been reading some of the comments on the model discussion, as things look by the end of next week less cold air/milder air will be moving onto the UK?

But would a Atlantic ridge/high pressure or wedges be able to delay that?

Ha!

Milder or less cold weather looks like it's been put back (albeit only slightly) again to the 18th into the 19th. Let's see if that trend of delaying the mild carries on over the weekend and with this evening's ECM

Edited by LRD
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Out to 132 hours at the moment, but find it amusing the way all the circled cut-off Lows are organised on the 12Z JMA. Like some kind of choo choo train or parade  🚂

675DC862-77A4-4607-914D-BFEE9AAD7F69.thumb.gif.b031fefb7fcbe3ca3d8bcfa2fe52d942.gifCould contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Face, Person, Head, Outdoors

Well if that happens looks like we are safe lol, but it looks weird so probably wrong, too organised, no mess lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T120 v 0z T132:

Could contain: Pattern, Accessories, Art, Modern Art, GraphicsCould contain: Outdoors, Art, Disk, Accessories

Signal for that Atlantic ridge ahead of the low is there, maybe slightly less than 0z. Greenland heights a little stronger.

Meanwhile, the UK slider is affected by the ridge, tipping it up, maybe to the extent of bringing snow further north into the UK, let’s see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 minute ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Out to 132 hours at the moment, but find it amusing the way all the circled cut-off Lows are organised on the 12Z JMA. Like some kind of choo choo train or parade  🚂

675DC862-77A4-4607-914D-BFEE9AAD7F69.thumb.gif.b031fefb7fcbe3ca3d8bcfa2fe52d942.gifCould contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Face, Person, Head, Outdoors

Perhaps it's just a big speech bubble with WTA just off screen, as they find themselves about 20⁰S off course

• Like 1

Posted

Well entrenched cold at T144, looking like the breakdown still on its way though. Let’s hope for some surprise snow 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Accessories, Modern Art

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES said:

While everyone is scratching heads and losing there patience with GEM..I think the control as other ideas further on!

This ain't a done deal and there ain't no fat lady singing here...infact there ain't a lady here fullstop. Bit that's for another type of forum if ya get me drift.

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Graphics, Nature

Now that I would bank. As our existing block has proved, troughs from the Arctic are quite dry. Give me a block with lows spawned from Canada & travelling up & over any day. More oomph & more chance of decent Easterly

• Like 1

Posted

We really need those two lows one in the USA and one in Canada to phase like in the UKMO at day 7.

Heights need a nudge into the Atlantic to help suppress that low exiting Newfoundland . It’s this which can cause a phase calamity with lower heights dropping sw from Iceland later on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Out to the middle of next week, looks like a bit of fine tuning as regards milder weather bumping into thr cold air in the south.....lots to be resolved before then , no point worrying about any model output after....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Interesting EC at T168, another northerly after the brief ridge of high pressure?

Get the feeling an OP run will do a left field turn and get some excitement going in the MOD thread again in the next few days. Lots of uncertainty.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
1 hour ago, V for Very Cold said:

Better not do! I’m off to Gatwick 🤣

See you there im off flying to Cork from there myself on that Sunday morning 😆 

Edited by Kentspur
  • Insightful 1

Posted

No phasing but enough encroachment . We should have a better day 8 as the ECM looks better upstream than this morning .

3 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Very interesting ecm day 7. 
It’s not over yet

spacer.png

Those heights in sw Greenland just need a little nudge se at day 8 to stop phasing .

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

I quite like day 7 on ECM..but what really takes me fancy is the fact the PV is starting to resemble streaky bacon. We ain't gonna need much fine tuning for this cold snap to go on and on..all cold snaps will show signs of breaking down on a regular basis in th UK...but that's not to say they will. I think that GEM op run was a little crazy and tbh the control run is just as likely.

ECH1-168.gif

ECH0-168.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

No phasing but enough encroachment . We should have a better day 8 as the ECM looks better upstream than this morning .

Thanks Nick for explaining as the run comes out , very helpful 👍😊.

• Like 3