Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

55cm south wales and 45cm central areas by day 10…please father Christmas this is all I want for Christmas ! 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Head, Outdoors, Nature

Would be nice! Of course by then the models would do the thing of adjusting the low pressure more south so places south of the M4 would get the storm. (Or it just ends up in France)

Next weekend and beyond is still FI but will be watching with interest. One thing I have noticed more if the GFS trying to bring milder air from the northwest or west rather than southwest next weekend, which would be less ideal especially for transient snow/cold reload potential.

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Signs on the ECM extended that we may be moving towards a repeating pattern with a fairly mobile MJO trying it's best to keep moving towards phases 5-8 and hence the increases 6 and/or 7 chance as well. So a potential repeating pattern on the cards as we go into the early/mid January period after a short zonal dip. For now, Im going to leave that alone though and let it be FI but let's hope it becomes a repeating trend. If it does then this Winter COULD end up being like 'the old Winters' but I'm not going to ramp yet, instead, all I'm going to say is that it doesn't guarantee a -VE NAO, just increases the chances and its still too far out that we can't be sure of anything yet.

EMON_phase_51m_full.thumb.gif.58ee0db8c15ae16e9e74173cc575fb56.gif

The downstream effects of the East Asian jet retraction interest me. We're into the time where we can see the clear amplification of Rossby thermal transfer cropping up on the models in a fairly reliable time although exact handling will be very off at this point. The effects on how Eddy's are handled may be negative but the generalised conception of increasing Eddy Heat Flux especially in the upper Troposphere may be slightly better handled than usual. Usually , this would probably increase the -VE AO but we're in such a -VE AO dip that it may just delay the recovery of the AO through the formation of that UK and/or Scandinavian blocking signal that's starting to persist on the models. It's still too far out to worry about localised dynamics of the high but the signal is showing for the blocking to form and of course how it forms will affect the short term gain at that time but as long as the wandered blocking pattern keeps up the relative pattern flip cold throat should exist. I think up until very late December potentially later than that, this pattern may be able to keep itself going synoptically hence the cold chance probably persists till around early January. Then we've got the potential MJO influence and that may happily coincide with another energy scattering PNA cycle.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map

gfs_uv200_atl_fh84-192.thumb.gif.07d3a0c932425d29f81ebdb907a8d43d.gif

Me thinks the scattering of energy interacting with the more southerly based jet will drift up hot air from North Africa which may cause some areas of Europe to see ridiculously mild air for this time of year and probably not something you associate so close to a quite significant -VE AO pattern. Just using 1 model run to show what I mean is probably not a good idea at the time range that I'm talking about and it goes against my principals but I'm just using it to show the mild air that could possibly be drawn up.

gfs_T2ma_eu_fh174-270.thumb.gif.2d84c2fd30bae6f0ece1e27b656c7207.gif

It's very unlikely to look anything like that but it does show what could be drawn up by the energy and amplification scattering interacting with the high just off the coast of North Africa. A very interesting thing as we go closer to time I think but we still can't be sure that the North African (ish) High will be interacted with nor the direction that its drawn up so we could end up seeing one extreme or the other.

Looking more into the short term future...

gfs_z500_mslp_eu_fh0-168.thumb.gif.22f5e2a17b3a6c837ca00ce34efeadd6.gif

Initial pulses of colder air in a cold pattern and maybe the formation of a shortwave or something similar that could still end up dumping a decent amount of snow somewhere, then...

Cold air that would normally look blocked in fairly well seems to get thwarted to the south and a pulse of amplification correlated with the  downstream effects of the PNA pattern (correlated with the East Asian jet retraction fairly well, funny how everything links together) but how long it stays for is hard to tell for now. There is a chance it could just be a mild blip and that it goes on to prop up the -VE AO pattern as discussed earlier. Or it could hold itself in for longer and set itself in for a longer time, for now I just don't know and its fairly evenly balanced.

ea488424-0bb5-43b5-8d5e-cbe8e79209ad.gif

Another very informative post, I'll take a 2 day blip please, preferably say 20-22 Dec, then cold to return. Not too much to ask!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
14 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

The jma does it in style Nick as @Mike Poole commented on but i wanted to post the animation of it,...great chart this😍

animayt3.thumb.gif.3cac7b27d3413ddca05daffad00882a3.gif

Interesting seeing this tripole chart pop up on quite a few different models now & was touted in the longer term models last week, so would seem to be gathering support

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Person, Outdoors

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Evening all 🙂

While I'm now hopelessly smitten with JMA after tonight's run, the fact remains beyond T+120, as I said last night, nothing is resolved.

Tonight's T+144 charts from UKM, GFS OP, ECM, GEM and JMA reflect the uncertainty modelling heights to the north west, west and south west.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Graphics, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Graphics, Art, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, StormCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Graphics, ArtCould contain: Graphics, Art, Nature, Outdoors

Clearly, those looking for the continuation of cold will not want to see heights to the south and an LP forming to the north west but at this stage it's all very unclear.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
41 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM just avoids a phasing calamity as the upstream troughing edges east and gives those remaining heights a nudge east .

Just enough trough disruption sets up that frontal snow for parts of the UK .

Its really edge of the seat stuff though. It does highlight though how important it is to close off the high otherwise what remains off those heights get drawn too far nw at the crucial timeframe .

yes, i named this run the nick sussex run when it came out!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

Expect most would be happy with that! 40cm for some !!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Atlas, Outdoors, Nature, Head, Face, Sea

January 1984 style for south wales if this came off ….. of course JFF corrections of 100s miles likely at this range…..but it’s in line with the mets update …..something to keep an eye on on but if I’m honest with myself it will probably be gone on the next run ….

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Another attempt from the models well ecm to break the cold.....Big difference between the 00z and 12z 😆

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

JMA bank Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Graphics, Modern Art

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Don't worry folks the referee is most definitely married to a French woman 😉 

Are you dreaming of a Northern Hemisphere that promises blocking for Xmas? Well CFS says hell yeh.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

That chart would do, as would a new ref!! 
I just have the feeling we are in for a huge chart flip for later this week over the next 24 hours, something like this or the JMA would do 🤞

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Could contain: People, Person, Crowd, Man, Adult, Male, Head, Woman, Female, Portrait

good ec eps for at least the next 7-8 days. It just can get better…

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

ECM control siding with his big brother here at 192...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, OutdoorsECH1-192.thumb.gif.ca14c0480b392938f5fb7ee8ba99329c.gif

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

It goes wrong thereafter …..

Yep,...it looked good up to that point but at least it was a step in the right direction not phasing that low in the Atlantic

still plenty to keep an eye on until then me thinks 🙂

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, geordiekev said:

Yes, anyone who hasn't seen the Dec 62/63 pattern defo worth looking at the pattern evolution in our part of the Globe. Has very similar repeating scenarios interlaced with lows sliding through providing the moisture.

BTW I'm not touting 62/63 18ft drifts as know some have aversions to using historic Winters as comparison 

You can't do that now...the world's weather has  changed, we can only look forward, and stop looking backwoods

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
36 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Really enjoy your informative and upbeat posts EE. 👍 
Unfortunately - and assuming current forecasts are correct - I'm not optimistic about the MJO helping with a pattern repeat in the short-term. The GMON (GEFS extended) forecast, the BOMM (Australian Met ensemble bias corrected) forecast and the EMOM (ECMWF ensemble bias corrected) forecasts to 6th - 8th Jan has the MJO in the COD (Circle of Death). Which means the MJO is largely indiscernible from background noise and will have neglible impact on global weather patterns.

And even if the MJO emerges from the COD in early January, add the typical 10 to 12 day lag and it's likely to be well into Jan before we would see an impact in this part of the world. Current forecasts:

GMON Could contain: Plot, Chart, TextBOMM Could contain: Plot, Chart, TextEMOM Could contain: Plot, Chart, Text

I do agree with you but was trying to see the positive side of things (especially after the England match) and these patterns could repeat (however unlikely). I think the main help though will be through the GWO which looks like it could repeat a +VE frictional or mountain torque phase and we see another wave train scattering energy downstream. Of course this is in FI for now but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it, just may be a bit more delayed than my initial post states.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

sheffield_ecmsd850.pngECM 12z ensemble mean

lets hope the Op is right .........this cold spell can extend beyond Christmas if we are fortunate

Not too confident now!!!thats a massive outlier!!!!!the op is surely gona be wronng!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

ECM 0z's (milder by next weekend) v 12z's (cold remaining with possible slider)...of the last 2 days, which one will win out? Overall NH profile looks a lot different and favourable to recent years maybe bar 20/21.

• Like 1