Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
12 minutes ago, swfc said:

There's nothing on offer Ed tbh. Industrial straws should be issued for clutching unless you follow the mfi, b+q and other background signals. Anyway merry Xmas and a happy new year to you all. Remember Try and do your bit for the homeless and the worse off . 🙏🙏

We’ll said on your last point. I volunteer for The Trussell Trust North Cotswold Foodbank. We’ve had our busiest Xmas ever and over the year 120% more food parcels issued this year than 2021.The cold snap was tough for a lot of people and this is the Cotswolds not town’s or cities. 

Merry Christmas all 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Posted

ECM flirts with the idea of something more Interesting. Unfortunately the next low is just too powerful along with heights across Spain. Just need one or other to give us a break 

F5FF7ED4-EE75-436D-8336-827BF8198BCE.gif

63CF23EC-772F-4D74-BBA4-7F4F8CDF14D6.gif

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

ECM1-192.thumb.gif.3f900b79c8a92ce4bc910ad866a0eadb.gif

Yuck.....not what a coldie wants to see for the onset of the new year as per ecm12z.

I must admit when we had that anomalous cold spell down here recently i was thinking that with scenes like this...

Could contain: Tree, Wood, Tree Trunk, Vegetation, Outdoors, Woodland, Land, Nature, Weather, Snow

...if we had no more cold weather this winter it would still be better than most...we were incredibly lucky to experience that in my area...however i was also kinda thinking that there would be another cold snap ( at least) as we are still early days...now though...well lets say i am working hard to keep the faith...

The Gfs being the Gfs always has to do this later on in FI..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

In horticulture yellow and blue often work well together bringing out the intensity of each colour...perhaps that also occurs with these charts..however you just know the wild yellow and orange daffodils will spread at the expense of the blue...

Could contain: Vegetation, Park, Outdoors, Nature, Grass, Woodland, Daffodil, Flower, Grassland, Scenery

....the weather will be the weather and we will still be addicted to what could happen, what maybe round the corner...

Just want to wish all of you , including the amateur, experienced and professional posters alike and those like me who are just interested in weather a Happy Christmas and better new year ...lets hope so anyway as things pretty tough at present ...great forum as ever and even i am learning stuff...more than i did in geography at school a 'few' years ago..🤣

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

UKMET still holding with their view of colder conditions mid Jan onwards (text forecast). Not overly mild in the meantime either.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

Edited by Purga
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Last post from me in the forum - break over christmas. A typical end to the year weatherwise, atlantic in ascendancy, mild generally, very mild at times in the south, but some colder weather briefly in the north on occasion thanks to polar maritime air nudging in. 

Longer term - just hints the atlantic may become unstuck again - with heights building from the south and possibly ridging into scandi or through UK gradually - I can see how a colder evolution may set up but may take its time (2nd week Jan onwards), to get there a very mild SW/S flow would probably surface to start 2023... mmm resemblance to how 2022 began, but this time heights building further north than last January.

Happy Christmas all!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
37 minutes ago, Purga said:

UKMET still holding with their view of colder condiions mid Jan onwards (text forecast). Not overly mild in the meabtime either.

Isn`t no colour neutral, seasonal and not above or below average?

Edit: Just reread your comment, ignore above and yes not overly mild.

Edited by Stuie W

GFS consistent in its 10 day modelling with some lovely warmth for the South of the UK. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map

If only the euro high can make it north a little further and we could see a lovely spell of weather. 

Quite wet on the border between the warm and mild conditions though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
18 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Isn`t no colour neutral, seasonal and not above or below average?

Edit: Just reread your comment, ignore above and yes not overly mild.

Actually Stuie, I should have captioned that the chart shows forecast MSLP anomalies - indicating higher pressure patterns expected to the NE. See below

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

mmm resemblance to how 2022 began, but this time heights building further north than last January.

Indeed and a bit risky but we shall see.....

Merry Christmas! 🎄

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Growing trend for New Year to be remarkably similar to last year?!! ☹️

Which is?.......

Posted
8 minutes ago, DCee said:

GFS consistent in its 10 day modelling with some lovely warmth for the South of the UK. 

If only the euro high can make it north a little further and we could see a lovely spell of weather. 

If only the Euro high could make it further north and east into Scandinavia then I would agree! 😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

Yesterday's GFS NAO ensemble members for yesterday and today respectively.

Still a very strong positive NAO signal appearing, especially for the new year. A lot of scatter over that but still a strong +NAO signal. Fingers crossed a transient ridge appears to our west or we get a Scandi high.

• Like 3

Posted

Pub run coming up, I just have a feeling the models will start churning out some festive cheer - the current set up with the American arctic blast must still be causing issues with the models, therefore can we get a better Atlantic ridge at day 6/7 providing more potent cold air from the north - if so any lp’s off the Atlantic bumping into that may give a decent snow event somewhere in the U.K.  !! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

Yesterday's GFS NAO ensemble members for yesterday and today respectively.

Still a very strong positive NAO signal appearing, especially for the new year. A lot of scatter over that but still a strong +NAO signal. Fingers crossed a transient ridge appears to our west or we get a Scandi high.

What’s the European NAO

is it like loco zonality ?  😄

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
Just now, bluearmy said:

What’s the European NAO

is it like loco zonality ?  😄

This is actually an official thing lol. UK research studies into the NAO often go for the Gibraltar - Iceland SLP gradient because its most closely connected to temperatures across Europe. 

It also goes all the way back to 1821 and proxies go back to the 1500s so its better for looking into long term trends.

CRUDATA.UEA.AC.UK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Think we have to hope the GEM 12z Control Run is the new trend setter as we head into January and if it fails then I'd take P04 instead. They are the only 2 decent ensemble members in the GEM 12z

Could contain: Chart, Plot

As for the GFS 12z only P04 has any sustained cold in early January

Could contain: Blackboard, Chart

ECM 12z had nothing on offer as far as I could tell for cold spells but very short cold snaps on a couple of members.

So basically across 32 members on GFS, 22 members on GEM and 52 members on ECM only 3 of 96 ensemble members had anything decent showing, only 3.125% of them. Not a great outlook for coldies based on the 3 main models.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Think we have to hope the GEM 12z Control Run is the new trend setter as we head into January and if it fails then I'd take P04 instead. They are the only 2 decent ensemble members in the GEM 12z

Could contain: Chart, Plot

As for the GFS 12z only P04 has any sustained cold in early January

Could contain: Blackboard, Chart

ECM 12z had nothing on offer as far as I could tell for cold spells but very short cold snaps on a couple of members.

So basically across 32 members on GFS, 22 members on GEM and 52 members on ECM only 3 of 96 ensemble members had anything decent showing, only 3.125% of them. Not a great outlook for coldies based on the 3 main models.

So you’re  saying there’s a chance ???

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Pub run coming up, I just have a feeling the models will start churning out some festive cheer - the current set up with the American arctic blast must still be causing issues with the models, therefore can we get a better Atlantic ridge at day 6/7 providing more potent cold air from the north - if so any lp’s off the Atlantic bumping into that may give a decent snow event somewhere in the U.K. 

I agree. I think this time next week there will be quite a decent snow event somewhere in central/southern Britain. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

So you’re  saying there’s a chance ???

Chance of what though? Another Jan 87? Fat chance of course. Ruling out cold and cold enough for snow? That would be foolhardy judging from the output we are seeing today. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
57 minutes ago, DCee said:

Well, you won't be very popular with your statement on here 😂

• Like 2

Posted

Evening all 🙂

Thought I'd reference the accumulated rainfall numbers from GFS 12Z OP:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

A lot of rain (nearly 8 inches in old money) for western Scotland but note the high numbers through the Straits of Dover and just clipping the far south east suggesting some of these frontal systems and secondary LP might pack a bit of a punch. Overall, pretty unsettled and wet for many if not all.

The other observation is one I often make - the route to very cold starts from very mild. We often need a very mild synoptic evolution to begin the process of amplification toward something different or a change in the pattern. As others have noticed, heights to the south can, if the jet slows sufficiently, build into a mid-latitude block if not better.

We have in my view 14-21 days of mild weather, initially unsettled but becoming very mild and more settled around New Year before we see another pattern change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1