Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Well at ground level @feb1991blizzard is running around very excited.🤣🤣

yes - need to see the heights charts first though - see if its a displacement and if so where to and if its susceptible to a split.

EDIT : need to see if chiono is getting excited 

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

Well at ground level @feb1991blizzard is running around very excited.🤣🤣

The displaced svaalbard option was doing ok. Not sure we want a complete rethink unless that warming can be sustained.  As I said, so very different to previous runs and the eps mean so likely discounted for now with a mental note. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

I got confused 

Edited by CoventryWeather
Wrong stuff 😅
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

The displaced svaalbard option was doing ok. Not sure we want a complete rethink unless that warming can be sustained.  As I said, so very different to previous runs and the eps mean so likely discounted for now with a mental note. 

was some support on the GEFS 0z although nowhere near as agressive.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CoventryWeather said:

Northern Hemisphere charts seem very interesting - you can faintly see where the split is going to occur. That looks like an SSW if it continued for another day or so.

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Pattern, Graphics

Not sure how you can extrapolate from that to an ssw ?  Unless you mean the 10hpa chart and there wouldn’t be any connection at the same time between 10hpa and 500hpa. Maybe I’m misunderstanding 

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

yes - need to see the heights charts first though - see if its a displacement and if so where to and if its susceptible to a split.

EDIT : need to see if chiono is getting excited 

Strat Warming has been forecasted for while,With a complete split of the Polar votex ,we need to see consistency with model output with a zonal reversal with east wind moving from Siberia to UK .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
24 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Not sure how you can extrapolate from that to an ssw ?  Unless you mean the 10hpa chart and there wouldn’t be any connection at the same time between 10hpa and 500hpa. Maybe I’m misunderstanding 

Don't worry - I'm new to this stuff. Sorry if I've confused anyone. 🙂

• Like 5

Posted
43 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

That’s gotta be the biggest warning yet on the gfs 6z ??? 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Pattern, Accessories

Will the METO long range change the wording if this was showing on their models I wonder!! 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Will the METO long range change the wording if this was showing on their models I wonder!! 

Not just yet I wouldn't have thought, but would obviously keep a close eye!

Edited by Don
  • Like 4

Hi peeps

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas 😊
Certainly some rumours flying around now of a freeze to develop as we go through January  but all to be taken by a pinch of salt. However the models since yesterday have certainly made me come out of hibernation.

Seems to be some positive developments going on. A week ago it was all doom and gloom and January had been written off by many. Are we about to see something special develop as we head into the new year who knows it may not come to nothing, but certainly something interesting maybe brewing. All eyes on developments in the coming days.

Wishing you and your families a happy and peaceful new year 😊❤️.

take care all 

• Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Strat Warming has been forecasted for while,With a complete split of the Polar votex ,we need to see consistency with model output with a zonal reversal with east wind moving from Siberia to UK .

There is no forecast of any ssw and any polar vortex split ?????

there is a consistent forecast of strat warmings surfing the Asian side of the vortex and displacing it towards svaalbard. 

I see a lot of use of the phrase ssw, both here and on SM (severe or sudden strat warming)  - this phrase specifically relates to a warming which causes a reversal of zonal flow at 10hpa/60N.  We are seeing no such forecast from any models.  Runs like the gfs 06z raise interest. 

yesterday and today gfs op zonal flow cross section below shows reversal reaching up to around 40/45 N and forcing the zonal flow towards the pole at the top of the strat - of course that could be en route to a proper ssw reversal (displacement or split) 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Person    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art

• Thanks 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted

While it's a good warm up, it's not affecting the vortex yet. Still intact as one fairly spherical vortex and close to the North Pole

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Nature, Outdoors, Pattern, Accessories, Hurricane, Storm

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Well, I can't not talk about the 06Z GFS can I?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm

A large thermal wave tilting abnormally transferring heat poleward and really displacing the Strat. It's been the recent trend but nothing anything like this. As long as we can get it centred closer to the Greenland-North American area we're in with a chance of a split with the 'inside job' that I mentioned yesterday or a Wave-2 state transfer with heat pushing into Greenland that's been gathering traction on the ensembles recently.

Could contain: Bow, Weapon, Line Chart, Chart

I'd say that if we can keep a Greenland centring than an upwards Wave-2 flux increase with a high-latitude block (around North America) associated with the lag of MJO phase 7/8 (preferably phase 8 as that build North American high-latitude blocking) then we can get the transfer of upper Trop heat towards the heart of the Strat vortex. 

I've been noting this is probably the way we'd see a quick enough deceleration of the polar-night jet and I'll just quote myself here because I'm lazy...

"see if there's more support from the ensembles for a Wave-2 increase by mid month as that's typically how a PJO (polar-night jet oscillation) influenced SSW happens with a Wave-1 onset before Wave-2 split. Its a lot of hope but the hope does have a little backing at least."

"The initial onset would then have to be followed by a weakening or dipping of Wave-1 amplitude as we see a second thermal wave forming probably around the North Atlantic area. This would be the best chance of a Polar-Night Jet Oscillation (PJO) type of SSW as that would put a cooling Strat vortex on either side of 'outer riding waves' and that thermal gradient cut push through the middle of the vortex and split it in two. I'm definitely not saying that's what's going to happen here but that is exactly how a PJO onset happens and a PJO is almost entirely linked with a major SSW. So if we can get Wave-1 displacement followed by Wave-2 split then that amount of upward wave flux would likely be enough for strong downwards reflection and a quick weakening of the Strat zonal wind downwards. At the moment that's still unlikely but there's a fair number of ensembles taking the Wave-2 amplitude and ramping it up right towards the end of the run. If"

We might slowly be moving towards that solution as Wave-2 increasing is gaining more ensemble support especially towards the end of the run.

Take the 00Z for example

As noted earlier, more Wave-2 ensemble support towards mid January.

Could contain: Bow, Weapon, Line Chart, Chart

And hence the support for a better weakening  going towards February though that may not be enough in itself but its clear that the Vortex remains unstable as shown by the uncorrected forecasts reversal in mid February (light blue line) though the bias corrected forecast doesn't show this (purple line) but it's a good sign for later this Winter if this has been the recent trend. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

We haven't had many cold Januarys recently, but the potential for this year to be different is now becoming easier to see, and its the trend that is now clearly our friend !

• Like 3