Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
19 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yes - I posted the charts a couple of days ago 

thought it was signalled well in both suites but wasnt all that impressed with the ops wrt specifics once inside the reliable - a lot of convective E'ly and N'ly flows  showed on outputs.

• Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Cymro said:

Oh Kasim can you not refrain from sucking any positivity away from each run? 

Do you want him to lie to make you feel better? I’d rather read honest analysis instead of long shot charts at +240 and ‘signs’ of an SSW

keep up the good analysis kasim, you are one of the better ones on here

Edited by JoeShmoe
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cymro said:

when Scotland tomorrow and Sunday will see heavy snowfall …

And this is the problem with the hope casting that goes on here when it’s Atlantic driven for the forseeable. Tomorrow in Scotland is dry and cold with rain and some snow on the mountains arriving late into the night. 95% of the Scottish population won’t see a flake 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

After being away for a while I thought I might come back to some decent output for cold. Alas I can see nothing in the reliable to get excited about for me.

Cold rain doesn't cut it for me. Coupled with underwhelming MO further,time for another break.

Happy new year all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

And this is the problem with the hope casting that goes on here when it’s Atlantic driven for the forseeable. Tomorrow in Scotland is dry and cold with rain and some snow on the mountains arriving late into the night. 95% of the Scottish population won’t see a flake 

90% yes

Streamer activity north of Inverness early hours 3-9cm above 200m asl

1-3cm locally above 30m asl inland

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
3 minutes ago, joggs said:

After being away for a while I thought I might come back to some decent output for cold. Alas I can see nothing in the reliable to get excited about for me.

Cold rain doesn't cut it for me. Coupled with underwhelming MO further,time for another break.

Happy new year all.

We will see you again in February then

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
20 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Some amount of hope casting here as opposed to forecasting...

For me it's fine saying it but you've got to have proper evidence to back it up,  (e.g a new trends emerging) this is a forum rather than a Met Office forecast👍. I don't see too much in the short term for now but I don't see why a +VE EAMT event or slightly more amplified MJO phase 7/8 can't lead to some decent cold mid January onwards. Most support is for a zonal pattern but there's still some backing for a colder pattern and at this range it's too difficult to tell of course especially with the AAM so close to neutral, a strong +VE event and all of a sudden we're back in the game. Plus we've got the Strat pattern that might help us.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We'll see. Chasing 10 day charts for snow,I've learnt over the years to not be too involved on model output.

No problems with people that do. Just like to keep it realistic.

Enjoy your chase.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Let's please keep discussion nice and respectful 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

See him in 2058?

I agree that factors seem to be building to provide some potential interest later in Jan. However, the ramifications of this are unlikely to show on model output for a while. So lets not let that deny the fact the forseeable is generally poor. PM incursions wont cut it for most given the strength of the jet. We'll see in a week or two perhaps if the build in telleconnection potential begins to reflect on output.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I'm interested in that little ridge to the north east on the ECM mean between D7-D10. That could result in something interesting by mid month. If ridging towards Iceland is even slightly more than currently projected, a back-edge north easterly becomes an option...

Not a forecast 🙂 but just seeing a possible way forward for coldies in the short-term!

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Last post from me 2022, continued signs we may see something less mild at least as we move through second week of January, the jet shifting slightly further south allowing polar maritime air to infiltrate more concertedly and importantly eroding heights somewhat to our SE.. not expecting any major change generally though through first part of January, broadly atlantic driven, in the days ahead watch for further signs of pressure builds to our west longer term as the trough lifts out and shifts east, a precusor to something possibly colder mid month with either mid atlantic heights or heights wrapping around a diving trough into scandi, building to our north/north east. Whilst we have a strong jet right now, we have had much stronger PV at this point in the year, and there is no signal it is about to shift into a stronger gear. January all to play for..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Repeated warmings, eventually it has to take the strat vortex down right?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Face, Person, Head

Only if we can manage to get the spv to be much more stretched than currently forecast

btw, another run which ends with a very displaced spv at 1 hpa ( close to Baffin). 

• Thanks 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, joggs said:

Happy new year all.

Don't let the MO outlook put you off watching. Their updates change regularly. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
14 minutes ago, RhHh said:

Don't let the MO outlook put you off watching. Their updates change regularly. 

Yes, but they do reflect today's models very well. Let's hope for the lows to be slacker then they look at the moment. The wind will mix out the cold.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yes, but they do reflect today's models very well. Let's hope for the lows to be slacker then they look at the moment. The wind will mix out the cold.

I suspect they are slightly behind the curve and expect their update tomorrow to be a slight upgrade. 

• Like 1