Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Not a lot to glean from the clusters tonight.  T192-T240:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person, Text

Subtle variations on the shape of the high, and the extent to which the vortex makes inroads travelling clockwise around it.

T264+:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Modern Art, Art, Person

The single cluster looks very good.  But a single cluster is not to be trusted! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Ext'd EPS,...that's what i like to see

i am not a happy chappy though ATM as i have just scrapped my car due to my engine cylinder head blown 😳

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Not a lot to glean from the clusters tonight.  T192-T240:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person, Text

Subtle variations on the shape of the high, and the extent to which the vortex makes inroads travelling clockwise around it.

T264+:

The single cluster looks very good.  But a single cluster is not to be trusted! 

I think they are not showing high confidence in the west based NAO Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

EC Control looking primed at day 10 but it is probably better than all the Ens 🤔

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Plot, Chart, Advertisement, Poster

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted

7 day jet via the gefs. Don`t really to explain but for newer members, it is up and over our HP (with a little sniff at an Easterly flow).

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

ECM control is remarkably similar to the GFS especially given how far out it is 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

• Like 3

Posted

Day 14 EC control is epic and the mean is pretty good 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

That’s day 12

day 14 is indeed epic 

😂😂 correct, it’s been a long day !! And yes Day 14 is even epic’er 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

ECM mean 360 hrs.🙏

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm

That's this morning's run but tonight's is also coming along nicely. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

😂😂 correct, it’s been a long day !! And yes Day 14 is even epic’er 

May as well show it 👍😀

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Looking though everything tonight I’d be astonished if we didn’t end up with something notable in March. We will probably have 3 or 4 bites at it . West based is the only worry for me 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Sorry may be off topic but isn’t everybody like me sick of seeing good charts at day 10 😂 been like it since the start of winter 🤯🥲😡

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, Aiden2012 said:

Sorry may be off topic but isn’t everybody like me sick of seeing good charts at day 10 😂 been like it since the start of winter 🤯🥲😡

Mean is good from day 7. Jet stream wise. Let's see what happens.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Pull your charts back to 5-7 max. It will save your sanity. 

• Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Add to that thought why do the night time charts show better for coldies?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Part of me wants this late cold spell to land, as this Apruary has been beyond disappointing and I'm already getting hay fever (which is a record by almost a month), and despite the cold weather in late November and December, considering the number of opportunities we've had this winter (remember in December when we all thought it was almost a given (or as close to a given as you can possibly get) for it to return sometime in January), it's been fairly disappointing and one of, if not the, earliest springs in British history. This Apruary especially has been bone dry down south and very warm for a long time.  I've calculated that this pattern that we've had this month would be like if there had been a daily high of 34-35c for three weeks almost consecutively with brief dips of 28-29c only lasting 1-2 days each, if it had happened in July. While this is not a perfect analogue, I think the point is made that we're not really appreciating how severe this heat wave we've had really is. Where I am, we've had next to no rain since the Atlantic torrential downpour bombs in late Dec-early January. The fields and parks near me that normally stay wet and muddy well into March (and sometimes into April) are already drying up. This extremity that we've been having in the past few years of bone dry periods followed by Atlantic bombing campaigns is worrying: There's very little period of consistent rainfall. Desiccated land being carpet bombed by the Atlantic and immediately waterlogging and flooding, and then being left to desiccate in bone dry conditions almost instantaneously all over again is extremely damaging to wildlife. 

Having said all that, a new cold snap in the middle of March, after a whole month of spring, would be extremely disruptive to nature even more than it has already been disrupted by events of the last few years. So part of me wants it to not land so we can get on with spring and prevent more disruption to nature than has already been inflicted by the incredibly early spring. On the plus side, the long term forecast is looking very -NAO and if it is to be given any weight, spring should trend wetter than usual. At the very least, the normal April spike and early summer can be delayed a bit, even if it's just to May. I'll take that at this point over summer starting in April. However, February was given a 50% chance by the Met Office to trend wetter than average, and it's turned out to trend absolutely bone dry, so this is a good reminder that long term forecasts are far from the final word.

Another slightly terrifying thing to keep in mind is so far, this year has bore a striking similarity to 76 - After all, that was precipitated by a bone dry February and spring period. What's more is we're coming out of a triple Nina into ENSO neutral, just as 76 was, so the oceano-atmospheric conditions are also looking quite similar to 76... If anyone can be bothered to find it, it'd be interesting to see what the long term forecast was in February 1976. If it was trending wetter than average like it is now, I'd keep my eyes out. A 76 repeat scaled up to today's standards would be an absolute tragedy, especially considering what happened last year and the fact that we've had no real recovery period - Atlantic bombing campaigns in autumn followed by bone dry conditions in early winter, followed by more Atlantic bombing, followed by yet another prolonged period of bone dry conditions and an exceptionally early spring. The damage climate change is causing is going to rapidly accelerate in this decade, I feel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 5