Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Unfortunately it does a gem on us, against the background signals, but I guess it a possibility among the many in FI.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Art

Ok, so now we'll see what gems later outcome could be, I guess.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

GFS again showing the risk of some Wintry showers in the SE next week -8c HPA temps and a ENEly flow if only it was a month earlier!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

GFS and GEM show another route to avoid the northerly. Probably we completely different by the 0z

This won’t be resolved for a few days yet 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Person

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

• Insightful 1

Posted

Ridiculous cold knocking on the door 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
6 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

if only it was a month earlier!

I assume I'll be seeing this phrase a few more times over the next couple of months 😄

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, seabreeze86 said:

Ridiculous cold knocking on the door 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors

I think this is the second SSW fighting the mjo. We'll see in a few days how it pans out for us, think models will be difficult to view for a bit. Also bare in mind the Mets long term, who mention north or east, probably a mixture.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

This sinking high scenario has become a bit of a trend throughout todays runs, particularly on the ECM suite. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Nature

Too much energy is being left over Canada which then tries to move eastwards, it erodes the high and prevents proper retrogression.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

This sinking high scenario has become a bit of a trend throughout todays runs, particularly on the ECM suite. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Nature

Too much energy is being left over Canada which then tries to move eastwards, it erodes the high and prevents proper retrogression.

Yes definitely showing up in the ensembles also ,if the trend extends into the 0z runs then I will take note. Models just playing around with ideas won’t be resolved for a few days 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
32 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

GFS again showing the risk of some Wintry showers in the SE next week -8c HPA temps and a ENEly flow if only it was a month earlier!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Yep this is repeating now regularly, something to get excited about , hell yeah , love seeing a snow flurry or two in your own backyard, not the same otherwise. Somehow 🤷‍♂️😀

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

GFS 18z is determined and still hell bent to serve us up a steamy mild plate of cr*p tonight

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I know it’s all model related but this is exactly why I don’t see why we get so excited or upset by day 10/11 charts, it’s because there’s a 0.01% chance of them verifying, I used to get carried away with them charts a few years ago but Iv been burned that many times and led up the runway let alone the garden path but not anymore. Of course I’d love a big freeze up with loads of snow especially after this shocking winter but I’m also at the point now where I’m looking forward to the feel of that warm sun on me. Boring that it may be I’d suggest sticking to day 5 at most and only look further for trends at most 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

I know it’s all model related but this is exactly why I don’t see why we get so excited or upset by day 10/11 charts, it’s because there’s a 0.01% chance of them verifying, I used to get carried away with them charts a few years ago but Iv been burned that many times and led up the runway let alone the garden path but not anymore. Of course I’d love a big freeze up with loads of snow especially after this shocking winter but I’m also at the point now where I’m looking forward to the feel of that warm sun on me. Boring that it may be I’d suggest sticking to day 5 at most and only look further for trends at most 

1% for cold and 51% if showing mild. 48% somewhere inbetween.

Today's 18z feels about right.

Posted

Short term ensembles look good for the SE still.

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

Thing is what I did notice before, is those that were colder here, ended up with a more west based pattern yesterday and the day before. Doesn't mean it will stay that way. Hopefully tonight's run is not what happens though, that would be heart breaking. Although with the second SSW having not happened yet, I doubt we've seen yet, what the full outcome would be, it's not going to effect the weather just in the next ten days. The consequences for the weather will be around a while. Hopefully we will get our turn.

As everyone probably thought the opp is an outlier, can't post end yet, as not out fully, but so far on weter, it's right on top when it first gets warm.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
1 hour ago, markw2680 said:

I get where you are coming from..

There's a many variables this time of year that the models are programmed to follow via x many previous outcomes and present scientific observations but given there appears to be a double warming (SSW) in progress the 'whip' of effect down to our meagre troposphere could be interesting, esp how our fave or not so fave models handle it's evolution... High over Greenland + Atlantic Low... drifting west -ve or north or back to Atlantic driven normality eastward? plus is there enough excuse for convection to produce snow in a so called spring atmosphere or will be static atmospheric easterlies till the Atlantic influence blows though?

exciting yet i suspect worry times with regard to normal warmth and rainfall this time of year.

Daan here (IMBY) it's been a very dry Feb to welcome spring, our plants are very confused 🤯

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yes much better GFS this morning with a sharpening of the Arctic trough and much lower heights across N Europe.

It makes a meal of things post 168 but it is much more like ECM in the sense the Arctic trough to our NE is forcing the pattern.

UKMO has everything further SE but is okay. I think it will be better this evening though.

I expect an excellent ECM this morning with less drama but we will see.

GFS 144 mean has sharper Arctic trough and lower Euro heights backing the Op.

gensnh-31-1-144.png

After a couple of teases GFS op finally produces. Could be worth the delay if turns out this good but how about getting this a few days earlier instead? We have waited long enough.

gfsnh-0-318.pnggfsnh-1-324.pnggfs-2-318.pnggfs-9-324.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

MORNING - GFS 00z - amazing synoptics with the ARTIC kicking in the Northerly/NORTH easterly - way out at around 8th March - GFSOPEU00_324_1.png

GFSOPEU00_324_4.png

AND THE UK STARTS DISSAPPEARING UNDERNEATH THE WHITE GOLD LOL

GFSOPEU00_324_25.png

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, MJB said:

240 Mean

gensnh-31-1-240.png

264 Mean

gensnh-31-1-264.png

288 Mean

gensnh-31-1-288.png

I've seen worse

Looks like a gradual west based solution to me.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
4 minutes ago, joggs said:

Looks like a gradual west based solution to me.

Certainly not to me, run through the ENS , you might change your mind . Quite a few run down the North sea but close enough to hit the UK 

• Like 1