Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes and this is a lot better too, 06z control at D10.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors

A thing of Beauty if it is a cold and snowy set up you are after.

Shades of the Great 1891 March blizzard that hit the SW, very similar chart I think.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
16 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

A thing of Beauty if it is a cold and snowy set up you are after.

Shades of the Great 1891 March blizzard that hit the SW, very similar chart I think.

I dont remember that one...😄

• Like 5

Posted

A day of upgrades has started well with the mean and the Control is stunning - please let this continue 🙏 and maybe come fwd a little 🤞

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

GFS 6z op and control have had a lovers tiff and gone their separate ways

Could contain: Chart

We can probably disregard both for the time being

Even with some dramatic synoptics amongst ensemble members, there are still hardly any runs reaching -10 850s and below. Those 850s will hopefully stay away until Nov/Dec now

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
10 minutes ago, LRD said:

GFS 6z op and control have had a lovers tiff and gone their separate ways

Could contain: Chart

We can probably disregard both for the time being

Even with some dramatic synoptics amongst ensemble members, there are still hardly any runs reaching -10 850s and below. Those 850s will hopefully stay away until Nov/Dec now

That's why I don't get why some are getting carried away, it's going to take very cold 850s as we enter March to see something truly worthwhile.

And besides the odd rogue run, we're barely breaking the -10 850s threshold.

I would love a truly cold spell like the 2018  BFTE, but I'm honestly just not seeing it, yet anyway.

Hell this weekends 850s are basically just as cold, if not colder than what's showing in a few weeks time.

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
36 minutes ago, MJB said:

gensnh-0-1-264.png

Stunning from The Control 

Is it just me or is it more often than not the control run whether it be GFS or ECM that shows these wonderful looking charts most of the time

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

That's why I don't get why some are getting carried away, it's going to take very cold 850s as we enter March to see something truly worthwhile.

I would love a truly cold spell like the 2018  BFTE, but I'm honestly just not seeing it, yet anyway.

Hell this weekends 850s are basically just as cold, if not colder than what's showing in a few weeks time.

2018 was as rare as rocking horse **** , you will be waiting a long time for that again. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

And besides the odd rogue run, we're barely breaking the -10 850 threshold.

Yep and coldies/snowies are likely to need -10s at this time of year for anything of significance for lowland UK. Although, I believe, snow can fall in higher 850 temps, even in March, if there is already embedded surface cold (happy to be corrected on that one)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
8 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

That's true, in fact I'm surprised that there are not more snow showers/flurries being forecast this weekend, at least for the SE, -8/-9c uppers by Sunday for a while.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
10 minutes ago, LRD said:

Yep and coldies/snowies are likely to need -10s at this time of year for anything of significance for lowland UK. Although, I believe, snow can fall in higher 850 temps, even in March, if there is already embedded surface cold (happy to be corrected on that one)

That's not quite correct  , I posted charts days ago with -6 /-7 850's that gave us snow . I am sure someone will have some at hand to post 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, MJB said:

That's not quite correct  , I posted charts days ago with -6 /-7 850's that gave us snow . I am sure someone will have some at hand to post 

Falling snow, yes. Snow that sticks around, unlikely. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

06z ensembles don't look too bad to me, hopefully we will start to see more runs like the control turning up in the next few days and things firming up a   bit more for the first half of March.

graphe_ens3.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Big picture is that we have seen any modelled deep cold pushed back from around the 3rd/4th of March to around the 7th/8th of March.

So we have lost 3 or 4 days but the signal remains.

I dare say there would be anticipation rather than frustration if we were in December and not March.

As has been said, every day counts with a warming sun and any lying snow gets harder and harder to achieve with ever more special synoptics and deep cold required.

We are in Meteorological Spring in March after all. 

If we start to see the models pushing things back beyond the 9th over the next 48/72 hours then I will pretty much lose interest barring something extraordinary.

I really don't care for chilly days and wet snow in early Spring.

All that said I am still optimistic we can get cold in by the 8th. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
14 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Bonkers ensemble award goes to  P06 

Basically it has the Northern Isles in -10°C  850hpa airmass or below for a week and down as low -20.4°C!

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Art, Modern Art, Outdoors

That has -15C uppers widely over the UK on the 9th, would be a great birthday present if that came off! but sadly most probably not...

However I don't think an Iceland / Greenland high in the long run is off the cards yet, despite what the OP is showing, there is a sizeable cluster of cold output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Today we have a classic op- ensemble dynamic!!. And this is where 1 chases the other b4- the switch!gfs 6z has probably?!- got the sync data... of layer ramifications ‘.. while the ensemble/ support- will/ should start deciphering!!. Looking at- the spreads, notes “ what will likely be”- a top end = mid/ upper latitude fast forward support!!!.. the op- raws will imo follow each other now @12z “moreso “.. then all suite supports- should follow quite conclusive.. and rapidly!!! ... News making weather.., @ probably!!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
19 minutes ago, MJB said:

Got an even better eg - This gave me my biggest March snow event - around 7 or 8 inches (West Midlands) - signed - A.Tonking.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Modern ArtCould contain: Accessories, Art, Pattern, Modern Art

• Like 6

Posted
34 minutes ago, MJB said:

As I say, probably with cold already embedded. I think Matt H mentions the -10 parameter too somewhere on this thread

Not impossible of course with 6s and 7s but I don't think you and I are going to see much unless the 850s get down to -10. Might get away with -8s. That's for sticking snow too, of course. Might see it in the sky but it won't stick

Edited by LRD