Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
31 minutes ago, MP-R said:

There’s been nothing wrong with anything that’s been said so I wouldn’t worry.

Meanwhile, I’m wondering whether I should talk about tonight’s weather in the autumn thread 😅. I need to put the bins out but it’s SO wet!

Yep same here, heavy rain, and it's not gonna let up, so guess I'm getting soaked when I finish watching the preditor, howeve you spell it.

Posted
3 hours ago, B87 said:

At some point we will get a good run of Augusts. The rubbish we mostly endured from 2006-2017 was not typical of August, which should just be a copy of July on average.

Think it depends where you are. The statistics show that in the NW quarter of the UK at least, August trails far beind May, June and July on the sunshine and dry stakes. Yes it can be the warmest month of the year on occassion, it is notorious for rain and cloudy weather thanks to westerly and south westerly airstreams being more dominant. Further south and east you go, the higher regard August is held.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

(I must say I am not a chart reading expert yet he he he)
GFS charts lately seem to be trending to a more westerly flat pattern. While not amazing still its better than being stuck under a northerly trough and stagnant lows like most of July was and it seems less cyclonic as well. More mobile weather meaning rain and cloud hangs around less and more chances at some bursts of higher pressure. Could be a N/S divide though depending on how far north the flat pattern goes. 

• Like 1

Posted

Expectation : August 2023 will be the same as that stunning August 1911 or August 2022 or better, this August seeing frequent >30c days, clear blue skies and some interesting thunderstorms.
Reality : August is actually as bad or worse than the miserable August 1912, which was the coldest, wettest and dullest on record.. So bad, youd appreciaite the other lemon Augusts like 2008 and 2011. What would be named August would be just a November under the covers

Edited by baddie

Posted

This is what December would be like without Christmas. The Aussies and South Africans have Christmas in their winter, but indeed it’s actually in what we’d describe as summer, where we are having anti Christmas this July. Is it any wonder we are considered quite mad by foreign standards. Last year on a hike in the desert an Arab was very insistent we’d both die, I said to him one more kilometre about 3 or 4 times times as i marvelled at the lack of humidity and how comfortable it felt, like a snug blanket to my bones, to him I was mad.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Wonder how the next 2 weeks of high summer will compare with 2017, maybe it will be just as unsettled. 🤔

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just put those bins out, not only is the rain pouring, the wind is up now too, wasn't as bad earlier 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Rain absolutely lashing down outside.

Honestly, this coming dark season is going to be horrible for my mental health and I’m sure many other’s. 

It’s hard to explain but that nice spell in June feels like a distant fever dream or a moment of  brief lucidity sandwiched in between months of endless cold, damp and grey that stretches right back to last August. It doesn’t feel like it was real.

I genuinely have to keep reminding myself it’s actually July as mentally I’m in Winter mode and it’s a really jarring sudden realisation that leaves me a bit taken aback. I feel like I’ve never really emerged from my winter slumber at the end of last winter because spring didn’t happen - the winter lasted right out until the end of May - then a brief window of nice weather and straight into autumn. It’s like mentally I never really had a chance to switch.

It feels horrible knowing that summer is gone before it even really got going and I may very well have to wait until next May - 10 months from now - for another period of warm settled weather. 

grim.

Yeah the long range forecasts can get in the sea after this years performance tbh. 

That’s the biggest issue with this country’s climate - we are so dark and gloomy for half the year anyway, so to have summer ruined by gloomy/wet weather is adding salt to the wounds. It’s not about hot weather either - just pleasant, warm & sunny days have been in short supply this July. 

If our winters weren’t so dark and depressing, maybe it wouldn’t matter so much. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
5 minutes ago, chris888 said:

i don't think we can expect any hot summers until this el nino is done

Never know, 2003 was an El Niño year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Horrific start to August next week 😑

Screenshot_20230727_023434_Windy.thumb.jpg.49c3d8d8557404c7c8cf4fb31409af58.jpgScreenshot_20230727_024000_Windy.thumb.jpg.7ab7abcca5d815b7c21ff88f9f21bbba.jpgScreenshot_20230727_023508_Windy.thumb.jpg.722a63c32dc0a20654e63a50e5329620.jpg

Edited by Snowshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, cheese said:

That’s the biggest issue with this country’s climate - we are so dark and gloomy for half the year anyway, so to have summer ruined by gloomy/wet weather is adding salt to the wounds. It’s not about hot weather either - just pleasant, warm & sunny days have been in short supply this July. 

If our winters weren’t so dark and depressing, maybe it wouldn’t matter so much. 

Very true - if you’re a heat hater in this country, you do well. Basically, you get 11 months of the year that aren’t hot (apart from the freak years when it might be 10 months). If you’re a summer lover then it’s always very dicey (occasionally strike lucky but usually disappointed). If you’re a cold and snow lover, also bad.

But if you’re a cloud lover….OMG the ecstasy you must feel!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

there is nothing in the next 10 days other than the same patterns. We have winter lows 970 attacking us and then pulling north winds.

A chance of a finger in the far south west as the AZORES high pushes up.

Not heard that mentioned much this year...........Jet stream really strong next week......more than a week i am not guessing but the odd day looks ok but overall very poor and cool.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

Is it just me or has July felt like the longest month ever? I can't believe we still have 4 days of it after this. I guess time flies and all that . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 minutes ago, sunny_vale said:

Is it just me or has July felt like the longest month ever? I can't believe we still have 4 days of it after this. I guess time flies and all that . . .

It's been like having all your teeth pulled without any anaesthetic. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
24 minutes ago, sunny_vale said:

It always does for me, my least favourite month by far, hate hate it.

• Like 2

Posted

July is my favourite month when the weather is decent! Going to have to tell the misses to stop booking stay vacations. Every time we have booked a stay vacation the summer has been shocking! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

27th July is one of those weird standout anomalously cloudy days. Heathrow, since 2006, has only had 2 days with over 6 hours sunshine on the 27th July- 2006 (6 hours) & 2018 (7.3 hours). The average sun for this date is a ridiculous 3.2 hours per day (will go down even further after today!)

A date to never book off if you're stuck in the UK!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
10 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Glorious summer evening! It really is!

When you think there could be a colourful sunset and 1/2 to 2/3 moon visible. It could be above 20c and ideal for sitting outside!

Considering all of that why wouldn’t you want lashing rain (again!) , a gusty wind and 14c!

🧐🤐🤨🤷‍♂️

It's normal/average weather for the UK. Check the CET 😌😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
9 hours ago, Azazel said:

Can you advise where the appropriate place to discuss them would be?

The Poor Summer club (which was cloud haters club but got renamed somehow. Wasn't me as I created the thread)

Posted

The Met peddling the same spiel about last year's temps to avoid discussion about this year's temps. Makes me laugh. Classic.

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, sunny_vale said:

It always seems to drag on a bit for me at this time of the year. Whereas from mid August time whizzes by and it will be Christmas again before we know it.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
49 minutes ago, markyo said:

It always does for me, my least favourite month by far, hate hate it.

You surely must’ve loved this July, though?

• Like 1