Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Sounds like we'll be returning to an actual average English summer this week... occasional bursts of warmth interrupted by rain and thundershowers, then repeat a few times.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
3 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Sounds like we'll be returning to an actual average English summer this week... occasional bursts of warmth interrupted by rain and thundershowers, then repeat a few times.

Have to say that this summer has been a very hard one to pin down, everyone has struggled with forecasting it, reasons why are the niño isn't as intense as predicted and we have now the EQBO with recently some easterly trades.   It does look like now that the more niño like regime will take afoot on the weather.   

Even if this summer is 0.5-1 degree cooler than last year I still think it will hit the remit of the UK getting warmer.  We also have to take into account that our current solar cycle is much stronger than our previous one and it was meant to be as weak as our previous one.   

Tough one with what sort of summers we will get in the future and it all depends if our AMOC slows down, to be honest I think the scientists are doing guesswork as things stand.  Think we should look at credible sources rather than be taken in by what someone says on facebook for instance.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

I found somewhere that's getting a pretty dross filled forecast (apart from the few first days) that's not in the UK :p. I do quite like Duluth's climate though nice snowy winters and summers that are pleasantly warm and with varied sun and convective seeming rainfall. Only downside is cold springs though. 
image.thumb.png.635dd69bc41746b18c293c09148d2387.png

Edited by Catbrainz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 hours ago, Methuselah said:

Ah, the weather? I haven't seen any posts about that for a while! :drunk-emoji:

Maybe because you couldn't see 🍺🍺😅

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Just like an insurrection? 😁

Last summer had more of a positive AO/NAO regime to the weather.  Its not been so much the case this time round.  Think last year our WQBO did our summer a big favour as it was one of the components that kept our summer last year settled.    

Posted
10 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Have to say that this summer has been a very hard one to pin down, everyone has struggled with forecasting it, reasons why are the niño isn't as intense as predicted and we have now the EQBO with recently some easterly trades.   It does look like now that the more niño like regime will take afoot on the weather.   

Even if this summer is 0.5-1 degree cooler than last year I still think it will hit the remit of the UK getting warmer.  We also have to take into account that our current solar cycle is much stronger than our previous one and it was meant to be as weak as our previous one.   

Tough one with what sort of summers we will get in the future and it all depends if our AMOC slows down, to be honest I think the scientists are doing guesswork as things stand.  Think we should look at credible sources rather than be taken in by what someone says on facebook for instance.    

To be honest it demonstrates the significance of other factors impacting our climate. I've always been of the opinion that the ocean currents contribute more towards rainfall than anything else, I don't believe they're as significant in retaining land surface temperatures as we believe they are. Ironically, the increase in temperatures in Western Europe is proportional to the decrease in AMOC strength.

2023 shouldn't really sway our confidence in the climate growing hotter. I'm sure I don't need to explain that one!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, razorgrain said:

To be honest it demonstrates the significance of other factors impacting our climate. I've always been of the opinion that the ocean currents contribute more towards rainfall than anything else, I don't believe they're as significant in retaining land surface temperatures as we believe they are. Ironically, the increase in temperatures in Western Europe is proportional to the decrease in AMOC strength.

2023 shouldn't really sway our confidence in the climate growing hotter. I'm sure I don't need to explain that one!

There are people on Facebook though who don't believe it's getting hotter and I bet you they get misinformation too from pseudoscience YouTube channels.  Fair enough but denial and that is really covering it up.   

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
4 hours ago, EMids WeatherWatcher said:

normal in a t-shirt walking in the rain getting drowned!!..i'd say its a look at me thing and i dont care attitude.

Thats been me recently but only because i suffer with hot flashes and sweats, possibly due to my medication.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

There are people on Facebook though who don't believe it's getting hotter and I bet you they get misinformation too from pseudoscience YouTube channels.  Fair enough but denial and that is really covering it up.   

I never really understood what those people get out of spreading misinformation. Are they just too afraid to confront the reality of life and create their own reality instead? Makes sense, but not good for mental health in the long run.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
15 minutes ago, Row w said:

Thats been me recently but only because i suffer with hot flashes and sweats, possibly due to my medication.

Hope you get better soon 🙂. Can't be pleasant those symptoms/side effects.

• Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

I never really understood what those people get out of spreading misinformation. Are they just too afraid to confront the reality of life and create their own reality instead? Makes sense, but not good for mental health in the long run.

Fatigue I think sets in on social media as they are obviously bored with the current conditions, in tandem also with being frustrated as well.    

Posted

Just watched BBC weather and 28 degrees is on the cards this week according to Tomasz Schafernaker.  Far cry from last summer though, but still fair enough though.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, EMids WeatherWatcher said:

not tarring everyone with a hoodie with the same brush..lots of sports people wear them too..fine by me.

Thank goodness someone sensible, nice to know a few here would look at my autistic son and think he was going mug them or something. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
7 minutes ago, Penguin16 said:

Just how hot could Spain be this Wednesday? These are the uppers

image.thumb.png.2f01492becc1a8a82b67053063b98740.png

I could see upper 30s or lower 40s for the areas in dark red

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like easily mid forties in central southern Spain midweek, surpassing 40°C as far north as Madrid and possibly Zaragoza.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Yesterday was probably the coldest day we’ll have until October here, topping out at 13C!

We all hope so at any rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)
41 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

I found somewhere that's getting a pretty dross filled forecast (apart from the few first days) that's not in the UK :p. I do quite like Duluth's climate though nice snowy winters and summers that are pleasantly warm and with varied sun and convective seeming rainfall. Only downside is cold springs though. 
image.thumb.png.635dd69bc41746b18c293c09148d2387.png

Oh, I have actually heard about Duluth before... on a thread of finding similar climates in North America and Europe. 😀 It is probably one of the closest matches to Estonia, especially with the cold and bipolar spring weather. Although Duluth still has warmer and sunnier summers than anywhere in N Europe. They get the occasional summer day in the 16-22C range, but not for 6 weeks straight like we do on this side of the Atlantic.

• Like 1

Posted

Enough of the politics stuff. This is not the place for it.

Thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Not a bad day today, one brief v light shower.

Same here in my neck of the woods, not brilliantly hot or wall to wall sunshine but pleasant enough.  It actually felt pleasantly warm when the sun did emerge through.   

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

Posts disappearing! From know moderation to over moderation 🙄

Perhaps if people didn't go so off-topic it wouldn't be needed. If you really want to know, 57 posts had to go. It's caused 20 minutes of work as the thread had gone off on one. You can't just remove a couple here and there as then people complain. We can't win.

So please stay on topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, IcySpicy said:

Oh, I have actually heard about Duluth before... on a thread of finding similar climates in North America and Europe. 😀 It is one of the closest matches to Estonia, with the cold and bipolar spring weather. Although Duluth still has warmer and sunnier summers than anywhere in N Europe. They get the occasional summer day in the 16-22C range, but not for 6 weeks straight like we do on this side of the Atlantic.

Being at 46N and in the middle of a continent keeps prolonged cool summer weather at bay. A close match for Estonia in North America apart from Dulthu ofc would be Marquette Michigan or even somewhere high up in the Appalachians and if we look worldwide I could see somewhere in Hokkaido coming close too, May I have a link to that thread I love finding climate twins across the world 😛. The closest climate to me in North America would be somewhere in NW Washington or BC Canada for sure. Feel free to share similar climates between North America and Europe with me id love that. 

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the way the pressure charts are aligned for next weekend onwards points to a NW/SE set up. And sorry to all those in the NW. But this is surely better than the previous few weeks of endless wind rain and gloom on a S tracked jet stream. 

• Like 4