Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Looking at the way the pressure charts are aligned for next weekend onwards points to a NW/SE set up. And sorry to all those in the NW. But this is surely better than the previous few weeks of endless wind rain and gloom on a S tracked jet stream. 

Kinda hoping my neck of the woods 'slips into' the SE part of the set up😁

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Looking at the way the pressure charts are aligned for next weekend onwards points to a NW/SE set up. And sorry to all those in the NW. But this is surely better than the previous few weeks of endless wind rain and gloom on a S tracked jet stream. 

I think the way this August is going is very similar to August 2009, August 2009 had some iffy bits too from what I recall.   That too like this year was EQBO and niño driven.  The only subtle difference is that the solar activity wasn't as high that year as its been this year.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
Just now, Bristle Si said:

Not in the SW of England but as a fellow resident of the SW geographical area of the UK (I get the same weather as Somerset and Bristol area being only about 20 miles away) I hope so too :P. We tend to get a mixture of the two types of weather I find in those kinds of set ups. SE/NW splits tend to bring sunny days with some more unsettled showery days mixed in if my memory serves correctly. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
20 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Posts disappearing! From no moderation to over moderation 🙄

The dementors have swooped! 👻😅

10 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

It's always tricky to know exactly where we lie. We tend to end up dry, but a bit cloudier than I would personally like.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
14 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

Being at 46N and in the middle of a continent keeps prolonged cool summer weather at bay. A close match for Estonia in North America apart from Dulthu ofc would be Marquette Michigan or even somewhere high up in the Appalachians and if we look worldwide I could see somewhere in Hokkaido coming close too, May I have a link to that thread I love finding climate twins across the world 😛. The closest climate to me in North America would be somewhere in NW Washington or BC Canada for sure. Feel free to share similar climates between North America and Europe with me id love that. 

British Columbia coast is very similar to what we get in the UK. It's a good example of how westerlies influence oceanic climate in the northern hemisphere, eastern shore is cooler and drier (Kamchatka/Labrador), while the western shore is considerably warmer and wetter (BC/North Western Europe).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

I'll let you know later, when I see the news. I expect it will get mentioned. More likely in regional news than national, as the records are differing types in different areas.

They didn't show the local news on itv due to footy penalties, don't know if it got mentioned on the other channel or not, never mind. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Just watched BBC weather and 28 degrees is on the cards this week according to Tomasz Schafernaker.  Far cry from last summer though, but still fair enough though.    

Yea right then. Believe it when I see it ...

Posted
5 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yea right then. Believe it when I see it ...

I can see a huge proportion of the working population going off sick Thursday. Could be the last warm day until May 2024. The redundant BBQ's gathering rust may also come in to play. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

I wonder if the seasons are somehow backwards and we're coming out of an extended winterautumn and going into an extended spring-summer hybrid? Kinda does feel like the weather has been stuck since this time last year. All the hot weather gonna be pushed into winter so we can panic about that instead!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, razorgrain said:

I wonder if the seasons are somehow backwards and we're coming out of an extended winterautumn and going into an extended spring-summer hybrid? Kinda does feel like the weather has been stuck since this time last year. All the hot weather gonna be pushed into winter so we can panic about that instead!

I quite like the idea of 25c on December 26th. Shorts. T shirts . Dark at 15.30. Will go a long way to making up for 12c on 5th August. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
8 hours ago, EMids WeatherWatcher said:

Tell that to 3 shift workers or even 2 shifts...not a chance of a social life!!!..glad i got out of that

rat trap many years ago..i have a great life balance now working for myself.

Working for yourself is pretty much the dream if you can make it a success

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
47 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

The EQBO is very influential at the moment on our weather and very influential on our troposphere.    

Posted

Manchester Summer Index 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

2022 261

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

1925 246

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

2021 238

1941 236

1970 235

1969 234

1973 234 

1999 234

1997 232

1990 229

1917 228

1926 227

2023 225  (up to 5th Aug)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Looking at that list , certainly in my memory back in my Cheshire days, 1976 and 1959 were the tops. I remember 76 for heat and 59 for long sunny days back on my dads farm.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
9 hours ago, MP-R said:

The dementors have swooped! 👻😅

It's always tricky to know exactly where we lie. We tend to end up dry, but a bit cloudier than I would personally like.

That's also the case further SE in coastal Hampshire too. NW/SE setups tend to be dry but cloudy with sunshine at a premium. Winter is of course the worst time for such setups, when they are dull, very mild and sometimes a little drizzly.

August 2009 wasn't too bad for sunshine though. It's main irritation was annoyingly cool days with a SW breeze, on some such days it was bright but temp was stuck in the high teens. That said, ISTR SSTs being unusually cool in 2009 so perhaps days with a similar synoptic won't be so cool this year.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
8 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I quite like the idea of 25c on December 26th. Shorts. T shirts . Dark at 15.30. Will go a long way to making up for 12c on 5th August. 

Will never happen... but anything even exceeding 15C is completely wasted in December when it would be invariably be accompanied by low stratus, gloom and drizzle.

25c on October 26th on the other hand would be nice.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, razorgrain said:

British Columbia coast is very similar to what we get in the UK. It's a good example of how westerlies influence oceanic climate in the northern hemisphere, eastern shore is cooler and drier (Kamchatka/Labrador), while the western shore is considerably warmer and wetter (BC/North Western Europe).

It does seem from the stats though that BC (using Vancouver as a representative coastal example) is subtly different to southern England. Colder winters, despite being very slightly further south at 49.3N (presumably due to cold air blowing in from the mountainous interior on occasion) but notably, far drier summers. Wet summers just don't seem to be a  thing there.

On the other hand, the winters are considerably wetter, but I can see the orographic effect would explain that.

I do wonder why this is; the Pacific at that latitude has less warm waters than the Atlantic, so storms are less intense hence far lower summer rainfall?

That said, despite the dryness, Vancouver summer max temps are comparable to those of southern England.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)
9 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

Being at 46N and in the middle of a continent keeps prolonged cool summer weather at bay. A close match for Estonia in North America apart from Dulthu ofc would be Marquette Michigan or even somewhere high up in the Appalachians and if we look worldwide I could see somewhere in Hokkaido coming close too, May I have a link to that thread I love finding climate twins across the world 😛. The closest climate to me in North America would be somewhere in NW Washington or BC Canada for sure. Feel free to share similar climates between North America and Europe with me id love that. 

I don't have the exact link, as it was a few years ago and I don't know if it's still around, but IIRC it was on a site called City-Data.

8 hours ago, razorgrain said:

Yeah, BC vs UK was actually discussed here a while ago and they are a good match. Still, BC has more reliable weather in Jul-Sept. Although some places on the NA East Coast are similar to Europe too. Some locations in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada are quite similar to Scandinavia. Although it's wild that those locations are around 45N, while most of Scandinavia's population lives around 55-65N. At 45N in Europe we have places like Lyon, Venice, Zagreb, which hve proper warm summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Sunshine and showers. Typical weather in these parts for much of this summer. Much wetter than normal but a return to heat on the horizon . Of course how long will it last ? The form horse being for only a few days going by this summer.

C

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted

An odd situation forecast last night on the Beeb for next weekend. As some of you have suggested, there is a definite NW / SE split in the offing, with a low pressure anchored off the north west coast of Scotland definitely influencing the weather there and high pressure hanging on further S & E. Where that leaves us in the NW of England, I'm not sure but I think we may be getting more showers here c/o a NW wind and the influence of the Cheshire Gap. 

Edit - Weatherarc's post on the Storm thread seems to support the above.

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
12 minutes ago, IcySpicy said:

I don't have the exact link, as it was a few years ago and I don't know if it's still around, but IIRC it was on a site called City-Data.

Yeah, BC vs UK was actually discussed here a while ago and they are a match. Still, BC has more reliable weather in Jul-Sept. Although some places on the NA East Coast are similar to Europe too. Some locations in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada are quite similar to Scandinavia. Although it's wild that those locations are around 45N, while most of Scandinavia's lives around 55-65N. At 45N in Europe we have places like Lyon, Venice, Zagreb, which hve proper warm summers.

I have read that thread. I used to lurk a lot on City Data when it was more active and often read the climate/weather sub section. Some of the threads were downright bizarre but fun to read like Rate Stereotypical X city climate or "Would Australia's climate be better if they had a Alps style mountain chain running north/south". (Not real threads just the gist of what they could be). 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Wow, what a difference this morning! 

Granted, it's not particularly warm, but the clarity of the sky is a bit shocking after so few mornings like this, for so long.

There's colour - the blue looks somewhat fake after not seeing such a vivid shade of it for some time.

Could contain:

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A mostly pleasant week to come by the looks of it. I would advise people get off the forum and actually go outdoors 😂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

A mostly pleasant week to come by the looks of it. I would advise people get off the forum and actually go outdoors 😂

Alot of usable weather for the vast majority! I'll be making the most of it insofar as possible but I, probably like many here, work during the week, which does hamper things somwhat - can only really utilise the weekends for outdoorsy trips / activities.

But suffice to say, i'll be having my lunch outside and where possible, cheeky pint with my colleague at one of the nice pubs near the office 😁

• Like 2