Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
14 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

next week looks more synoptically like May/June, NW areas look like having clear skies with temps of around 22 degrees

this location likely to struggle with north sea mist, lingering well into the day

Maybe synoptically, but sunny days in the solid low 20s is completely usual and normal for September, especially early September, particularly in the SE. 

Not that unusual to get 25c in September as well.

September is nearly as warm as June on average! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

I think you’ll be sadly disappointed.

We will see

Posted
17 hours ago, B87 said:

The first half of September is as warm as the first half of June on average.

Exactly...so why would we need a special name to describe warm spells that are nothing out of the ordinary.

Indian Summer should not be used until the beginning of October at the very earliest- even if the interpretation is different on this side of the Atlantic.

Considering May is comfortably cooler than September on average, it's surprising the media don't make more fuss about warm spells in May.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Although it is nice to see a settled spell of warmer, sunnier weather coming, the forecast IMBY has the sunniest days being slap bang in the middle of the week yet again with the weekends being predominantly cloudy. For here, the sunshine only arrives by 5pm Saturday evening, partly cloudy Sunday and I will be at work for most of the Summery weather during the week and then looking cloudier again from next Friday. Can we get some sunshine on the weekends please, for the love of God!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Although it is nice to see a settled spell of warmer, sunnier weather coming, the forecast IMBY has the sunniest days being slap bang in the middle of the week yet again with the weekends being predominantly cloudy. For here, the sunshine only arrives by 5pm Saturday evening, partly cloudy Sunday and I will be at work for most of the Summery weather during the week and then looking cloudier again from next Friday. Can we get some sunshine on the weekends please, for the love of God!

Sunday will be pretty sunny in your area I'd have thought. There should be a fair bit of brightness on Saturday too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
11 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Sunday will be pretty sunny in your area I'd have thought. There should be a fair bit of brightness on Saturday too.

Hope so. Fingers crossed they're over estimating cloud amounts. Wouldn't be the 1st time lol.

Posted
3 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Hope so. Fingers crossed they're over estimating cloud amounts. Wouldn't be the 1st time lol.

The Met Office are showing sunny spells so that usually means wall to wall sunshine 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Zermatt at 1600m. Summer to winter . Quite a change in temps in such a short time.

C

Could contain:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Similar in Wengen, village green but above about 6000 ft 3-5 cm snow

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
20 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Not sure what would be worse; a freezing cold poor insulated house/flat or the gigantic spiders. 😱

They were pretty scary, it didn't help that I was terrified of the things at the time and I always knew when one was creeping round as my husband would slowly get up off the sofa and grab one of the many homemade spider catcher pots we had dotted all over the place and try and catch it without me knowing. Funnily enough I no longer have a fear of them so I suppose it was some form of exposure therapy 😄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 29/08/2023 at 07:54, Scorcher said:

I don't see how a warm spell in September is anything out of the ordinary though? It's too early to label it an Indian Summer, even in late September.

It's the UK media that has fuelled this strange idea that warmth in September (even the first half of the month) is exceptional- it's actually not a lot cooler than June on average.

I actually despise the term 'Indian summer' as it is used far too frequently by the UK media and has lost its original meaning. A little bit of warm weather in September is all perfectly normal, with even the poorest of Septembers having warm spells. A true Indian Summer happens after the first frost of the season and September is far too early for that.

I'm not a fan of Americanisms anyway.

58 minutes ago, Row w said:

They were pretty scary, it didn't help that I was terrified of the things at the time and I always knew when one was creeping round as my husband would slowly get up off the sofa and grab one of the many homemade spider catcher pots we had dotted all over the place and try and catch it without me knowing. Funnily enough I no longer have a fear of them so I suppose it was some form of exposure therapy 😄

You are very fortunate that you got over your fear of spiders. I can't imagine that I ever will, though you never know!

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, cheese said:

Have there been that many good Septembers in the last decade though? Only 2016 and 2021 come to mind. 

2020 was also pretty good tbf, the middle third being particularly sunny. 2014 was also very settled but not overly sunny.

Funnily enough 2016 was one of the less good ones despite being warm overall.

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I don't feel I have the right to complain about this summer, it certainly hasn't been perfect, but compared to many places, we've had things rather good. But trust me even we are complaining when meaning each other out and about. Things were really bad in July in the north and west, and no one can say otherwise. Here may was again pretty sunny, just cold because of the wind, rest of the east were stuck in cloud and drizzle a lot of the time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Bit of a grotty day today, but lovely period of weather coming up...

Screenshot2023-08-31at11_31_20.thumb.png.63755c847f50ed26b4fc2fa37b4d263f.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
14 minutes ago, danm said:

Quite possibly the best week of weather since June. 

• Like 4

Posted

The rain has so far stayed to the south of here, it's been dry and cloudy with the odd glimpse of the sun poking through. The whole blob of rain seems to be shifting south. May squeeze out a largely dry day against what was forecast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
23 minutes ago, danm said:

I concur .. do check the Met forecast for comparison, 
Beeb:
image.thumb.png.19c15509c451860d31a362021ea8ee3a.png
UKMet:

image.thumb.png.252eeec74ac7e1b18d184fc28bebedfc.png

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I don't feel I have the right to complain about this summer, it certainly hasn't been perfect, but compared to many places, we've had things rather good. But trust me even we are complaining when meaning each other out and about. Things were really bad in July in the north and west, and no one can say otherwise. Here may was again pretty sunny, just cold because of the wind, rest of the east were stuck in cloud and drizzle a lot of the time.

Living in Pagham till 2 weeks into July then in Hamstreet, we often avoided the worst of any bad weather that was going in July and August.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, StingJet said:

I concur .. do check the Met forecast for comparison, 
Beeb:
image.thumb.png.19c15509c451860d31a362021ea8ee3a.png
UKMet:

image.thumb.png.252eeec74ac7e1b18d184fc28bebedfc.png

Yep it is a bit warmer on the Met Office:

Screenshot2023-08-31at12_03_26.thumb.png.87c8674cf92726fd77964842936c2481.png

• Like 1

Posted

Such a dreary, wet and cold day today. Only 12C. Finding it hard to believe the weather will improve next week, just as I go back to work! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well now we are at the end of meteorological summer, I've calculated my ratings in Excel for each summer month (where an average month is 6.5/10) and they are as follows. Summer month ratings take into account maximum temperature, sunshine hours, rainfall, rainfall hours and wind:

June - 8.25/10

June scored above average in all categories, and was only slightly let down by wind figures earlier and later in the month, as well as sunshine in the final 4 days.

July - 4/10

July scored below average in all categories, except rainfall which was above average (but appears as lower score in ratings). The month would've returned a lower score had there not been two fine spells (05th-07th including a hot day, and the week of the 17th which fortunately resulted in a sunny day on my birthday, the 23rd). A thunderstorm on the 09th also gave that day a boost.  Without those features, it probably would've been a 2.5 or 3. 

August - 6.25/10

August scored below average on temperature and sunshine, but better than average on rain days and wind. Rainfall around average for the month, but concentrated into a few days so returning a better score than had it been spread out. The month has been let down by stubborn cloud and a lack of high temperatures.

If there is no sunshine here today, August's sun total will only be 2 hours more than July.

Posted

One of the strangest summers I can recall this year I think. My take on Summer 2023:

June - 9/10. Cold start but mostly sunny with cold misty interludes. Fantastic from 10th onwards with constant warmth and sunshine with some great thunderstorms.

July - 1/10. Terrible throughout. I was in the far north the first week and felt extremely cold for July (we were in winter coats). Very wet and dull throughout with no redeeming features.

August - 5/10. Horrid start especially 5th. Improved to a decent middle third, fairly dry and warm but then descended to a miserable last week.

Overall 5/10. Felt worse because of the lack of sun from end of June onwards and that July is the most important summer month.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A passable summer overall in my eyes. June was excellent, with weeks of very warm sunshine but never really uncomfortable. July was dreadful. August has been alright. One big downer for me is the lack of decent thunderstorms, although it wasn't completely devoid of them like some recent hot summers.

Edit: I think reasonable was over-egging the optimism.

Edited by Nick L