Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Hello everyone. 🙂

Another week has passed, so time for me to have a look at the CFSv2 four weekly anomalies to see what they're showing today... 

Week 1 - 3rd to the 9th March: High pressure over Greenland and low pressure over Scandinavia, with both pressure systems heading up towards the pole... This would leave us in a northerly air flow... I'm kinda guessing snow showers for the majority, but the eastern parts of the UK, being closest to the low pressure would probably have the best chance of seeing more heavy falls of snow.

Week 2 - 10th to the 16th March: The high pressure is moving more towards northern Canada, and the low pressure over Scandinavia is heading more towards Britain! By the looks of the chart, I'm guessing that we would still be in a northerly air flow, but with a greater risk of snow showers.

Week 3 - 17th to the 23rd March: ALL CHANGE! ... The low pressure now appears to be centered just of the south eastern tip of Iceland, plus with high pressure over mainland Europe, this could warm things up a bit by putting us in line for some mild south westerly air... Probably be 'damp'(ish) as well.

Week 4 - 24th to the 30th March: High pressure out in the Atlantic, and also over mainland Europe, and stretching up towards Scandinavia... Although nothing is really showing directly over us here the the UK, I'm gonna hazard a guess that this could put us in line for a southerly air flow... So mild if nothing else.

So there you go folks! Make of that what you will! As always this is the CFSv2, and they are low res charts... So always treat them with caution. 🙃

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Text, Nature

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Diagram, Person

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

The ICON wants to bring the cold in as a direct Northerly.

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Modern Art, Chart, Plot, Nature

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Icon looks good 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Changed it`s tune from the 6z, firing up that LP.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
22 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

ICON12z

Defiantly does seem the Atlantic is more flat. Less progressive and seems to be the 60% chance MetO were going on about in their latest video!

Positive signs!

The uppers are much worse for the South for the entire cold spell though and still get the breakdown towards the end of the week, a downgrade in my eyes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
40 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Hello everyone. 🙂

Another week has passed, so time for me to have a look at the CFSv2 four weekly anomalies to see what they're showing today... 

Week 1 - 3rd to the 9th March: High pressure over Greenland and low pressure over Scandinavia, with both pressure systems heading up towards the pole... This would leave us in a northerly air flow... I'm kinda guessing snow showers for the majority, but the eastern parts of the UK, being closest to the low pressure would probably have the best chance of seeing more heavy falls of snow.

Week 2 - 10th to the 16th March: The high pressure is moving more towards northern Canada, and the low pressure over Scandinavia is heading more towards Britain! By the looks of the chart, I'm guessing that we would still be in a northerly air flow, but with a greater risk of snow showers.

Week 3 - 17th to the 23rd March: ALL CHANGE! ... The low pressure now appears to be centered just of the south eastern tip of Iceland, plus with high pressure over mainland Europe, this could warm things up a bit by putting us in line for some mild south westerly air... Probably be 'damp'(ish) as well.

Week 4 - 24th to the 30th March: High pressure out in the Atlantic, and also over mainland Europe, and stretching up towards Scandinavia... Although nothing is really showing directly over us here the the UK, I'm gonna hazard a guess that this could put us in line for a southerly air flow... So mild if nothing else.

So there you go folks! Make of that what you will! As always this is the CFSv2, and they are low res charts... So always treat them with caution. 🙃

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Text, Nature

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Diagram, Person

As @knocker posted, Anomaly charts without the height contours are pretty useless... or words to that effect. The problem being that you can only see the anomaly and not the upper flow, and they often differ.

To illustrate this, heres the NOAA chart for week 2... The Anomaly (blue dashed lines) do suggest a northerly, but the green 500mb height contours clearly show a mean upper Westerly. The trick is to balance the two, for me the NOAA chart suggests an unsettled Westerly with cold incursions. So there may well be snow showers, but i suspect theyll be "normal" snow showers that we get in PM air in March, mixed with less cold or even briefely milder snaps.

814day.03.gif

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

It is a race between the arctic trough coming SW and the Atlantic trough coming E.

If the Arctic trough wins the cold air will force any lows further S.

Here is the 168 marker from the GFS 06z if anyone wants to watch the race.

gfsnh-0-168.png?6

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I’m liking the GFS 12 hrs run to T72 hrs .

Already that upstream troughing is held further nw .

I'm just getting a bit concerned the greenland high while stronger, is drifting a little too far north west, which will allow the lows to take a slightly more Northern route later on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, Jacob Gamer said:

I don’t really know what eps is sorry. It is am EMCWF ensemble 

Yes

• Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I’m liking the GFS 12 hrs run to T72 hrs .

Already that upstream troughing is held further nw .

It`s still wanting to wind up that LP, as does the Icon. Is this going to drag up a SW little ridge quicker?

Posted

Still plenty of snow showers about Monday night, could be a covering almost anywhere in the U.K. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm just getting a bit concerned the greenland high while stronger, is drifting a little too far north west, which will allow the lows to take a slightly more Northern route later on.

Important factor here is that the heights in the mid Atlantic beneath the block are more present which will divert the low further south. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Yes, compare T102 with 6z T108:

Could contain: Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Nature

The Greenland high is a bit northwest, but also, the cold from the NE is slightly more advanced.  So difficult to determine the overall effect on the battle zone later…

UKMO quite different T96:

D7A80836-F5DB-421A-8D30-88D04A529EDF.thumb.gif.a0a9603a06c5961bb8503f0493b5c224.gif

Lows closer, but disrupting well…

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, compare T102 with 6z T108:

Could contain: Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Nature

The Greenland high is a bit northwest, but also, the cold from the NE is slightly more advanced.  So difficult to determine the overall effect on the battle zone later…

Struggling to see what is going to stop the LP`s ploughing the cold away from the South.

Posted

Where will it go 👀

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water
i think it’s be epic midlands south again, maybe better than earlier 

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some amazing charts if you like cold & snow, a memorable March cold spell incoming with plenty of snow chances! 

A very wintry chart from the GFS 12z ❄️🥶 
Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

BOOOOOM , this is a good one 😍

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Oh dear 🤮☹ Icon and UKMO 

Might be game over many before its even began 

UW120-21(2).thumb.gif.adb0bb2dfcd7d3e8b8773d4b70c95a76.gifCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1