Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no
9 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Peach of a run for northern england, this is what I was talking about yesterday. Could be a case of the same places getting hit over and over again from systems tracking east into the cold air.

Agreed!! Total whiteout for northern England on this run, but with model volatility as it is probably all gone next run 

• Like 4

Posted

Id say the northern boundary will be Leeds and southern boundary Cambridge East and West as it stands taking into account southern corrections. Id like to live in the midlands. Somewhere like Birmingham could well be the sweet spot. (This is all guesswork however based on nothing scientific other than past experiences of these systems)

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Harmonie with a sleet / snow event moving south through midlands and south/ south east Tuesday morning.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Sea, Water, Storm, Map, Hurricane

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Sea, Water, Hurricane, Storm, Map, Sea Waves

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Sea, Water, Map, Storm, Hurricane

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Harmonie with a sleet / snow event moving south through midlands and south/ south east Monday morning.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Sea, Water, Storm, Map, Hurricane

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Sea, Water, Hurricane, Storm, Map, Sea Waves

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Sea, Water, Map, Storm, Hurricane

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

*Tuesday morning. 😉

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
6 minutes ago, Drifter said:

*Tuesday morning. 😉

Sorry meant Tuesday 🙈, I knew Tuesday , god knows why I typed Monday . 🙈🙈 Original post amended 👍.

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Wednesday morning, wet bulb level is zero. Depending on the front coming from the North (position of LP to the East and what`s left in the tank), anything will be snow.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Plant, Vegetation

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
29 minutes ago, bryan629 said:

Agreed!! Total whiteout for northern England on this run, but with model volatility as it is probably all gone next run 

I think with all the chopping and changing that fi really is tuesday,  and the only definite is the dates in the top left hand corner. Great learning curve for me though! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

UKMO has it all over for England & wales by 96hrs so it’s a 3 day cold snap for most 

6741565E-E7C6-49C8-8190-02DDD4846844.gif

So by your analysis, England stops at Staffordshire.

• Like 9

Posted

As the charts stand anyone living in the north midlands area should be pretty excited!!i say as it stands cos it will easily shift north and south next few runs!!even ukmo gives snow widely for much of the midlands on thursday and not just the north!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
6 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Only output im confident of is the possible snow moving S during Monday night/Tues. 

Apart from this the difference in the 0Z & 12Z UKMO is making me think its pointless looking beyond Tues. A special mention to our members in Scotland though is the chances of remaining cold throughout is looking more likely than I previously thought,

I shall take this though.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Green, Outdoors, Land, Nature, Map, Plant, Rainforest, Vegetation

Good line of beefy showers, likely also downplayed by models which as we all know are not great at forecasting showers.

Probably the only thing the Met could plan a warning for. Everything regarding the slider or channel low may as well be a dartboard for outcomes.

• Like 1

Posted

I hope the GFS OP run has some support from its members. I bet it hasn't. It's a peach of a run from an imby perspective. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

So by your analysis, England stops at Staffordshire.

My analysis is based on needing less than sub -5 hpa for proper snow, -8c or lower for at this time of year 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow
9 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Only output im confident of is the possible snow moving S during Monday night/Tues. 

Apart from this the difference in the 0Z & 12Z UKMO is making me think its pointless looking beyond Tues. A special mention to our members in Scotland though is the chances of remaining cold throughout is looking more likely than I previously thought,

I shall take this though.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Green, Outdoors, Land, Nature, Map, Plant, Rainforest, Vegetation

Ah yes we get it freezing up here and none of the white gold!

Not a trade off I want...

To keep it model related, I'm on the east coast of Scotland and a lot of the output has shown precipitation coming down from a cold northerly next couple of days. I would think I'm in with a chance at least.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GFS, UKMO and GEM at T96:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors4AC71160-C5B4-4CC8-A473-7F5768CC8BFD.thumb.gif.953594fb84a8c0970d44996a94fc1575.gif

Looking through the runs, I think GFS has the most propensity to string out the incoming lows, making them weaker affairs.  I think we are now in the timeframe where we might see a southern correction as we approach T0 on the first half of next week.  It is difficult to call, partly because the wider hemispheric pattern is quite unusual.  

It is likely there will be a warm up for the southern half of the country towards the end of the week, but the cold may push back quite quickly, but that is so for another day!

I’m not really sure what most were expecting with this chase.  For me, given the late season, it was as much about an opportunity to learn from another SSW event, they don’t happen very often; as it was about snow potential.  But once we saw the wholesale migration of the trop PV in response to the SSW, I think most could be forgiven for setting expectations higher than what it seems is to be delivered.  Ho hum!  

Although I think the colder than average weather will persist into mid April, I suspect that in two weeks the chance of any meaningful snow will be over, at least for the south, so it is what it is, hope everyone manages to see at least some snow over the next few days.

UK winters really are a joke.  Second winter running without seeing a single snowflake.  Last time was end of November 2021 and that doesn’t qualify as winter, and, to be fair, nor will next week!

Look at the difference in Spain between GFS/UKMO and ECM. Northern Spain going green in the former two this afternoon, still orange with the ECM. Hopefully ECM comes on board with weakening those heights later.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

My analysis is based on needing less than sub -5 hpa for proper snow, -8c or lower for at this time of year 

In March 2018, we had snow on the south coast all the way to 0C 850hpa.

We may not have the same depth of cold this time, but the same principle applies, easterly draw before a front, 850s can be higher than usual.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
21 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

UKMO also has snow potential tomorrow night, not a huge amount but there all the same

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

I’ll be up early Tuesday morning if this continues. A few hours of light flakes of joy would be welcome.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 7