Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion highlights

Paul
Message added by Paul,

This thread is now the model highlights thread - so 'insightful' posts (based on insightful reactions from members) from the model discussion thread will be copied here to create a 'crowdsourced' set of highlights.

Posted

As a mean that is quite convincing for some snow chances!! We aren’t talking FI here 🤔

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
3 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

Here's that pattern starting to come into view. The TPV moves away and heights rise behind it, lows start tracking south of us, we start to dry out especially further north, Spring stays out of sight for now.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

Yes this is evidenced with a signal in one form or another for a rise.in heights in many of the models..

Gfs, Icon, Gem , Ukmo..12z

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Graphics

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Art, Nature

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

...interesting to see how this plays out given the mjo highly amplified foray into level 8 recently and the continued effects from the ssw..

Could contain: Chart, Plot

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Certainly evidence to suggest that we could develop an area of heights to our north at the end of week 1.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram   Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors

Either way I suspect that pattern will become sluggish as the Arctic maritime north westerly early next week clears away.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, Skullzrulerz said:

What does the UKMO/ECM say?

Here are the UKMO precip types for the next week if you were interested.

animcnq7.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, Anthony Burden said:

Evening all,Signs of northern blocking appearing on GFS / GEM could be a cold March through out except for a few. milder blips,possibly the best March for cold lovers for a very long time.

The GFS 12Z is indeed much more encouraging than some of the dire recent runs. Each attempt of the Atlantic to bring in SW-ly gloom only lasts a couple of days, with the SW-lies being pushed back by easterlies on a couple of occasions, one in around a week's time and then another around the 22nd.

Also, in far FI, has this chart for the start of BST, which looks ideal for enjoying the longer lighter evenings:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Wetterkarten GFS Europe 12Z

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

As a mean that is quite convincing for some snow chances!! We aren’t talking FI here 🤔

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

That prediction, of course, shows just how bad southern England is for snow within western Europe as a whole, including both more northern parts of the UK, and seemingly, all but the NW and SE of France. Even supposedly very mild Bordeaux seems to have a better chance..

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted

Evening all 🙂

More signs this evening of the traditional late winter/early spring northern blocking heaving into view.

As the LP next week, as it slows and disrupts in mid-Atlantic, heights can build from the north (or possibly the south, as JMA suggests). As the HP moves into Scandinavia, the Baltic trough heads south west and the NE flow re-establishes over the British Isles (even though its; the second half of March, plenty of -12 850 air embedded).

Tonight's GEM 12Z OP is a gem (sorry) for cold fans with the Scandinavian heights and LP heading ESE crating a nice battleground through central Britain.

The battle between colder and warmer airmasses is what spring is all about - we know the warmer air mass will win out at some point. The margins are very fine - it doesn't take much to shift the pattern between cold and warm at this time of year so we often see quite wild fluctuations in synoptics and in surface conditions so it can be 5c one day and 15c and a couple of days later and then back to 5c again.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Back in mid-December when everyone was lamenting the untimely return of the Euro high, these charts would have been therapy...

Could contain: Person, Ct Scan, Outdoors

The GFS ensemble wind roses have been very keen to bring north-easterly winds to me on the south coast for the last few runs.

Could contain: Symbol, Chart, Plot, Number, Text

The ECM ensemble is less willing to commit, but it's there on the table.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Symbol

(18th-24th March shown above)

• Like 4

Posted

You can see our Atlantic episode stalling after the 16th on these 850hPa temp graphs...

Could contain: Smoke Pipe, Chart

You can see the jet stream changing around that date on this ICON run...

animnrv8.gif

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Nick F said:

Wave lengths beginning to change now with the season

Could I ask what this means?

Edited by RainAllNight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
41 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Jet stream naturally heads north, and thing start warming up.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 hour ago, RainAllNight said:

Wavelength increases, thus less amplification [2] & return to flat upstream pattern, ergo zonality, although a few periods of interest before then [3]

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Person

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Person, Sea, Water, Head

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Person

• Like 3

Posted

I’ve noticed on Monday, there will be gusts of between 50-60mph quite widely across England and parts of Wales. 

Is this worth discussion and/or any weather warnings or is this standard weather for this time of the year? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 minute ago, JR319 said:

I’ve noticed on Monday, there will be gusts of between 50-60mph quite widely across England and parts of Wales. 

Is this worth discussion and/or any weather warnings or is this standard weather for this time of the year? 

I would say def worth discussion - especially given the lack of named storms this winter! But I can’t do the technical stuff, so over to others for that… 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, JR319 said:

Yes it's worth discussing, of course. Not had many wind storms this year down south. A few over in Scotland, including Otto.

• Like 3

Posted

I made these ensemble mean jet profile GIFs thinking I would have something to say about them, turns out that I don't, other than that I assume the big void over Europe from about day 9 onwards means large spread/uncertainty...

animwxb4.gifanimtaj1.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
2 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

I made these ensemble mean jet profile GIFs thinking I would have something to say about them, turns out that I don't, other than that I assume the big void over Europe from about day 9 onwards means large spread/uncertainty...

animwxb4.gifanimtaj1.gif

The spiral effect seems to be an almost constant feature I've noticed this Winter, with jet stream far South in Africa & all around the globe until it reaches Atlantic. I'm taking a stab in the dark this is normal & linked to AAM etc & to be non technical the plughole effect 🤔

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,once again GFS /GEM keen on northern blocking to establish in eight to ten days still a way off but looking highly possible that March will go down as as one of the coldest in many years possibly breaking a few records.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Morning all,once again GFS /GEM keen on northern blocking to establish in eight to ten days still a way off but looking highly possible that March will go down as as one of the coldest in many years possibly breaking a few records.

Not seeing anything to support that wild claim in the model output! Double figures for many today and a mild night tonight with fluctuations in the coming days but nothing to support record breaking cold. Let's have some realism please.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Not seeing anything to support that wild claim in the model output! Double figures for many today and a mild night tonight with fluctuations in the coming days but nothing to support record breaking cold. Let's have some realism please.

Met Office seem to picking up a cold continental feed possible with HP to the north dragging a cold continental feed ,in7days time.

• Like 2