Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 20th March 2023 onwards

Supacell

Posted

Might have been able to get ahead of that squall line into Lincolnshire if I'd set off earlier this morning, decided there was absolutely no chance of catching it so I've returned home to await anything else cropping up this afternoon

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

If we see a tornado today, I reckon it will be from the cell just North of Northampton,  ridiculous winds South of it, and a massive heat sink in a cloud free area.

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Scenery

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!

Afternoon all, gusty, heavy rain/ hail, Thunder and Lightning in Cleethorpes now.

Cheers Glenn

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Might have been able to get ahead of that squall line into Lincolnshire if I'd set off earlier this morning, decided there was absolutely no chance of catching it so I've returned home to await anything else cropping up this afternoon

Just passed through here some nice lightning strikes nice blue skies coming in from back edge

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Just had a rumble of thunder out of the blue in Southampton even though the sun is out. Looks like it's developing overhead.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Round 2 is beginning to crank-up and more/less the same as what we saw earlier with intense but brief pulse-cells popping off over the W.Midlands with a handful across the NW (somewhat limited in the Manchester area due to the occulusion taking longer to clear eastwards.)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If we see a tornado today, I reckon it will be from the cell just North of Northampton,  ridiculous winds South of it, and a massive heat sink in a cloud free area.

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Scenery

Almost entirely outflow based winds with vorticity being mostly crosswise rather than streamwise so it's more likely to elongate than be inflow influenced given. Further south and the vorticity becomes more streamwise and the shearing becomes stronger and more directional so I suspect we haven't seen the possible tornado producers even form yet possibly.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

A few distant rumbles heard here from Macc Forest direction 🙂 

Yes, the cell now NE of Macc, produced 2 flashes, 3 decent rumbles of thunder with brief rain and small hail shower.

• Like 1

Posted

@SNOW_JOKE can you see anything of the cells passing over Macc.  One a few mins ago produced one hefty downpour of hail, no sferics though.  Will look impressive from a distance, I'm not high up enough, unlike yourself.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Hail

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, Rush2112 said:

@SNOW_JOKE can you see anything of the cells passing over Macc.  One a few mins ago produced one hefty downpour of hail, no sferics though.  Will look impressive from a distance, I'm not high up enough, unlike yourself.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Hail

Unfortunately I can't see any structure from here with the low cloud and being sat under the outflow of the Macc cell, saying that there's just been another rumble of thunder here from that direction so it might be heading this way soon.

• Like 1

Posted

....and it's gone 😄 I think that's it for us in the NW for today with there being too much cloud & regular showers moving in from North Wales, i'm surprised the open-skies towards the Shropshire Hills haven't initiated anything (yet) but there's still another 2 hours left before the W.Mids potential diminishes. Overall a frustrating day with the line of storms moving too fast into Lincs to chase, and any Pulse-Cells that did appear in-front and behind were quickly smothered by cloud infill. 

A few more rumbles of thunder heard for this year so it's not been too bad.

5 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Unfortunately I can't see any structure from here with the low cloud and being sat under the outflow of the Macc cell, saying that there's just been another rumble of thunder here from that direction so it might be heading this way soon.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Lovely day here now with a blustery wind...must say though after this mornings rain which was heavy at times its been disappointing on the heavy showers/storm front...i was expecting a bit more activity...

• Like 1

Posted

rubbish day in the end for storms....of course the only place that got decent ones was the last few summers hotspot Lincolnshire, lets hope they arent going to hog them all again this year lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
8 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

but there's still another 2 hours left before the W.Mids potential diminishes.

Still hopeful🤞 ..Temperatures still rising, but the dewpoints and humidity have diminished since this morning

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

....and it's gone 😄 I think that's it for us in the NW for today with there being too much cloud & regular showers moving in from North Wales, i'm surprised the open-skies towards the Shropshire Hills haven't initiated anything (yet) but there's still another 2 hours left before the W.Mids potential diminishes. Overall a frustrating day with the line of storms moving too fast into Lincs to chase, and any Pulse-Cells that did appear in-front and behind were quickly smothered by cloud infill. 

A few more rumbles of thunder heard for this year so it's not been too bad.

Hopefully plenty of chasing opportunities for you yet to come.  My first taste of thunder today of 2023.  I've a big smile on my chops 😊

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
2 minutes ago, Azuremoon2 said:

rubbish day in the end for storms....of course the only place that got decent ones was the last few summers hotspot Lincolnshire, lets hope they arent going to hog them all again this year lol

They didn't hog all the storms last year, it was more the central south coast/south east and it's the UK's hotspot for storms so of course generally they are going to get loads of stuff. Considering it's April it's been a decent day for storms. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Had this view to the north for a lot of the afternoon Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Architecture, Building, Housing, House

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Bird, Flying, Azure Sky, Car

Seems there was a bit of lightning in it not long ago, as the smiley face shows 

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plant, Vegetation, Rainforest, Sea, Water, Woodland, Shoreline

Edited by matt111
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Sky, Neighborhood, Cumulus, Housing, House, Roof, Shelter
Lovely shower passing by 

• Like 7

Posted

Well that was a short surprise, just as i'd called it a day the skies opened up with a few cracks of thunder and torrential hail. I only took my eye off the RADAR for 20 mins to look at some walking places in Scotland 😄

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Very nice looking anvil when cycling from the gym about half an hour ago. 

Could contain: Building, Office Building, Cloud, Cumulus, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Neighborhood, Campus, Metropolis

• Like 8