Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The worst combined spring/summer seasons on record

Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Sunny76 said:

It’s happened before yes, but we are just judging this summer as it is. It’s been terrible, and I find it hard for anyone to defend it.

The people trying to challenge me on this argument are clearly coldies, and people who enjoy summer daytime highs of less than 24c. That’s fine, but it’s just very poor for July and August.

A decent sunny summer isn’t too much to ask for.

You've just said June was a pleasant month, so how on earth can that then translate into a "terrible" summer? 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

STOP DIGGING...... you are talking utter rubbish ... try using statistics, not memory, memory is flawed and you live in the past as 99% of the posts you create are about the past. You imagine everything modern is not as good as what it was in the past - you are wrong when it comes to the weather... opinion doesnt count, facts do, back up your claims with stats. but stop digging!

Keep talking mate. I’ve lost interest lol.

Just now, Nick L said:

You've just said June was a pleasant month, so how on earth can that then translate into a "terrible" summer? 

June is one month, not the whole summer. July and August are part of summer, last time I checked! 🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
Just now, Sunny76 said:

It’s happened before yes, but we are just judging this summer as it is. It’s been terrible, and I find it hard for anyone to defend it.

The people trying to challenge me on this argument are clearly coldies, and people who enjoy summer daytime highs of less than 24c. That’s fine, but it’s just very poor for July and August.

A decent sunny summer isn’t too much to ask for.

STOP DIGGING!....... Im no coldie, i love heat!!!  The statistics will show that this summer is average..... thats where its heading.... THAT is a fact.

2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Keep talking mate. I’ve lost interest lol.

June is one month, not the whole summer. July and August are part of summer, last time I checked! 🤣

25c in London, what are you moaning for?
image.thumb.png.5cd11ae15b53b6aff015d4f466d97662.png

• Like 2

Posted

I think the issue comes with the fact that July was so dire. For here, Meto stated 'we' were 

Below average temp

Below average sunshine hours

Well above average rainfall.

If we'd had a week of naff, followed by a week of decent weather, and so on, then the perception becomes clearer of it being just pretty norm summer weather. But

'The Bad' was heavily concentrated in the 4 weeks from early July to early August.

The CET argument's been done to death over last few weeks. Firstly, it only represents Central England and secondly, because the nights weren't overly cold it hid the fact that many days had well below average daytime temps.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 15/08/2023 at 13:14, Sunny76 said:

A warm or hot June won’t mean anything if July and august that follow are poor. Most people will agree with me. It’s just a fact. 

If anything, whilst I would of course like all 3 summer months to be great, if given the choice I would value June and July over August as the daylight hours are longer and the sun is at its strongest. I feel the same way about winter cold which I would value more in December and January than I would in February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
11 hours ago, Fourty Point Three Degrees said:

Why can't we say this summer was a good summer? We always say 2013 was good summer when its only known for its 10 day hot spell in July. Both June and August 2013 were dreadful months.  

Summer 2013, whilst decent compared to the preceding 6 summers, was overrated in my opinion. Only July stands out as being warm and sunny. The other two months were mediocre at best.

Posted
15 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

STOP DIGGING!....... Im no coldie, i love heat!!!  The statistics will show that this summer is average..... thats where its heading.... THAT is a fact.

25c in London, what are you moaning for?
image.thumb.png.5cd11ae15b53b6aff015d4f466d97662.png

That's the peculiarity of the June and July 2023 period. Almost all of  the best weather was in the June and all the worst parts was in the July. If it have been spread out between the two months more evenly,  then this twaddle about comparing this summer with the summers of 2007 and 2012 wouldn't arise. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Being pretty curious about this, I took a look at Heathrow sunshine figures from the period of June 21st- August 10th as this is where the bulk of our dull Summer weather lied for 2023 and to see how it compares to other years from 2006. Summer for me is determined by how much sunshine we get and I know we're all different and some want heat or no rain etc but focusing on just sun duration from best to worst for 21Jun-10Aug-

1. 2018 (493)

2. 2014 (392)

3. 2022 (387)

-. 2013 (387)

5. 2006 (382)

6. 2020 (329)

7. 2015 (327)

8. 2019 (324)

9. 2011 (308)

10. 2010 (301)

11. 2007 (297)

12. 2009 (291)

13. 2008 (282)

14. 2023 (280)

15. 2016 (275)

16. 2012 (270)

17. 2017 (264)

18. 2021 (238)

So, for that period, 2023 is in the bottom 5 and very similar to 2008 but still not as dull as 2021, who is in a league of its own at the bottom for that period! 2018 in a league of its own at the top! Surprised to see 2015 quite high.

Posted
41 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Being pretty curious about this, I took a look at Heathrow sunshine figures from the period of June 21st- August 10th as this is where the bulk of our dull Summer weather lied for 2023 and to see how it compares to other years from 2006. Summer for me is determined by how much sunshine we get and I know we're all different and some want heat or no rain etc but focusing on just sun duration from best to worst for 21Jun-10Aug-

1. 2018 (493)

2. 2014 (392)

3. 2022 (387)

-. 2013 (387)

5. 2006 (382)

6. 2020 (329)

7. 2015 (327)

8. 2019 (324)

9. 2011 (308)

10. 2010 (301)

11. 2007 (297)

12. 2009 (291)

13. 2008 (282)

14. 2023 (280)

15. 2016 (275)

16. 2012 (270)

17. 2017 (264)

18. 2021 (238)

So, for that period, 2023 is in the bottom 5 and very similar to 2008 but still not as dull as 2021, who is in a league of its own at the bottom for that period! 2018 in a league of its own at the top! Surprised to see 2015 quite high.

But cherry picking the period when this year was dull means nothing... lets see what the sunshine levels are for the Summer... June, July, August. After all most Summers have a dull phase. I suspect theyll be in the average range..

• Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, Bristle Si said:

The CET argument's been done to death over last few weeks. Firstly, it only represents Central England and secondly, because the nights weren't overly cold it hid the fact that many days had well below average daytime temps.

The CET is the most accurate way of comparing year on year... being away from the coast itll give a better idea of the mean temperature. It isnt foolproof but its the best we can do. Of course accurate local records from anywhere including outside the CET zone will give a more accurate account for that locale.
The question is, how do we use temperatures to compare Summer?... the daily mean? or the daily mean maximum?... surely the daily mean is best because itll allow for cool/tropical nights , after all, Summer isnt about daytime!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
12 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

But cherry picking the period when this year was dull means nothing... lets see what the sunshine levels are for the Summer... June, July, August. After all most Summers have a dull phase. I suspect theyll be in the average range..

Of course! I wanted to simply see how this high Summer period compared to the same timeframe in years past. In contrast, the 1st two thirds of June 2023 are at number 1 for Heathrow since 06. Seems to be similar to 2017 overall so far, with most of the sunshine packed into the start.

• Like 1

Posted
On 16/08/2023 at 16:01, Fourty Point Three Degrees said:

Why can't we say this summer was a good summer? We always say 2013 was good summer when its only known for its 10 day hot spell in July. Both June and August 2013 were dreadful months.  

Whilst June 2013 was like a typical summer month from the 07-12 period, early July saw a big switch around and the rest of the month was warm to hot and August, although not as warm as July was still a decent summer month and probably the best at the time for 10 years.  However, obviously I can only speak for what it was like in the south!

Posted

Looks like Sunny76 has left us... well its a pity if he has, but you cannot come here and make outrageous comments that have no statistical support and expect to be respected for it.

In the title of the thread it says "on record" , so to prove a point we need to view the records, the stats... he was ignoring them

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 16/08/2023 at 14:03, Bristle Si said:

Yep, overall, we're heading towards pretty average.

It'll end up as a sandwich; the bread was ok, but the filling was dreadful.

June will be the thick loaf of bread, July the turd filler, and August the bread knob end that has holes in it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
6 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Looks like Sunny76 has left us... well its a pity if he has, but you cannot come here and make outrageous comments that have no statistical support and expect to be respected for it.

In the title of the thread it says "on record" , so to prove a point we need to view the records, the stats... he was ignoring them

I'm with you @mushymanroband love to stick with facts from credible sources.  The met office i trust wholeheartedly and thats how i will carry on by following them regularly.  

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Don said:

Whilst June 2013 was like a typical summer month from the 07-12 period, early July saw a big switch around and the rest of the month was warm to hot and August, although not as warm as July was still a decent summer month and probably the best at the time for 10 years.  However, obviously I can only speak for what it was like in the south!

Summer 2013 at the time was actually the sunniest, warmest and driest summer we had at the time for 7 years and July was very good indeed.   2013 was very interesting as that was also the year we had that infamous cold march and it was the coldest since 1883.   Would recommend to people to look at the site owned by Trevor harley as he is very well informed and respected.   

Edited by Addicks Fan 1981
  • Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Do you mean Sunny76 has left Netweather, or this thread?

30 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Summer 2013 at the time was actually the sunniest, warmest and driest summer we had at the time for 7 years and July was very good indeed.   2013 was very interesting as that was also the year we had that infamous cold march and it was the coldest since 1883.   Would recommend to people to look at the site owned by Trevor harley as he is very well informed and respected.   

July 2013 marked the change back to warmer summers and milder winters!

Edited by Don

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

@mushymanrobmeans this thread.   You have to say stuff that is backed up and documented.   

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Don said:

Or else!! 😠 😝

Stats don't lie I'm telling you that @Donand I think they get the law of averages right.   

Posted
16 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Stats don't lie I'm telling you that @Donand I think they get the law of averages right.   

I know they don’t.  My post was light hearted, which I think is still allowed in here?! 🤷‍♂️

Or was your post meant as light hearted, too?! 🤔

Edited by Don

Posted
55 minutes ago, Don said:

I know they don’t.  My post was light hearted, which I think is still allowed in here?! 🤷‍♂️

Or was your post meant as light hearted, too?! 🤔

Need personally to get a sense of humour on here, at least I've been honest @Donand honesty is the best policy.    

Posted
22 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Need personally to get a sense of humour on here, at least I've been honest @Donand honesty is the best policy.    

All about balance and humour is needed in this world now more than ever, although I do not have any stats to back that up!  However, I'm also being honest in that my original post was most certainly not slating stats and was a light hearted comment!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Don said:

well unusually hes not been on for 3 days now.... make of that what you will as hes a daily visitor. but i did suggest several times the he stopped digging....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .
On 15/08/2023 at 10:37, A Face like Thunder said:

but not 1985 which was the pits in the S & W.

Yes it was ,  constantly autumnal and a cool autumnal feel as well.