Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 07/05/2023 at 11:16, Frigid said:

Looks like 30C is back next week for Edmonton. Surely this would make it one of the warmest first halves of May. Some summer months don't even reach that. 

Meanwhile here, a high of 19C. Feels quite warm given we've been stuck under benign conditions. 

yep one of the hottest driest starts to May on record..Central Alberta as a result is engulfed by massive wild fires 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

One word for the weather at the moment.....Yuck.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

There hasn't been any heat this year in the UK, so far!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Honestly for someone who detests heat, this ain't even that bad. Daytime temps a bit high, would rather have 15-18C. As long as the nights are cool, it's all good 👍

Could contain: Text, Nature, Night, Outdoors

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
3 hours ago, B87 said:

There hasn't been any heat this year in the UK, so far!

That's really subjective but of course you know this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
42 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Honestly for someone who detests heat, this ain't even that bad. Daytime temps a bit high, would rather have 15-18C. As long as the nights are cool, it's all good 👍

Could contain: Text, Nature, Night, Outdoors

Yeah I'm not a heat fan either but these temps are just fine. No need for a jacket at long last but not hot that I'm sweating either. Nights look nice and cool as well into the single figures. Could be far worse like last July and August for example......... I'd be surprised if we escape another major plume this year though. 🥵

• Like 2

Posted

I dread looking at the models around this time of year onwards, more than not there's a warm spell or a hot plume imminent. A June 91, July 20 and Aug 14 would do me nicely. 

We're due a properly cool summer, haven't seen the likes since 2012. I'd prefer a 2015 though as it was dry, but cool 👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 04/05/2023 at 17:04, Sunny76 said:

You’re one of them lol. 

I think it’s pathetic when we get a week of hot weather, and some people on here say ‘it’s global warming’ or ‘it’s dangerous heat’ when in reality it’s just an exceptional spell of hot weather.

If it is exceptionally hot then it is dangerous for some people. Heatwaves kill:

WWW.ONS.GOV.UK

Joint analytical article between the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) on deaths during heat-periods in 2022.

Just because you personally are immune to the effects of excessively high temperatures, it isn't all about you, those with health conditions, the very old and the very young do suffer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Amber alert - Models moving towards a warm to hot spell from Friday onwards. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 23/05/2023 at 21:06, Frigid said:

I dread looking at the models around this time of year onwards, more than not there's a warm spell or a hot plume imminent. A June 91, July 20 and Aug 14 would do me nicely. 

We're due a properly cool summer, haven't seen the likes since 2012. I'd prefer a 2015 though as it was dry, but cool 👍

No thanks. We don’t need cool summers. Not after all the chilly weather this year. 

14 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Amber alert - Models moving towards a warm to hot spell from Friday onwards. 

Lovely. I can’t wait for the hot weather👍

• Like 1

Posted
On 31/05/2023 at 14:07, al78 said:

If it is exceptionally hot then it is dangerous for some people. Heatwaves kill:

WWW.ONS.GOV.UK

Joint analytical article between the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) on deaths during heat-periods in 2022.

Just because you personally are immune to the effects of excessively high temperatures, it isn't all about you, those with health conditions, the very old and the very young do suffer.

Cold weather kills more people. Some people were still struggling with the cold temps even just recently.

On 31/05/2023 at 14:07, al78 said:

WWW.ONS.GOV.UK

Same goes for the reverse. A lot of people suffer when temps are below 10c, and many still feel quite cold and uncomfortable when it’s 10-14c, especially in the spring or early summer.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
22 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Cold weather kills more people. Some people were still struggling with the cold temps even just recently.

Same goes for the reverse. A lot of people suffer when temps are below 10c, and many still feel quite cold and uncomfortable when it’s 10-14c, especially in the spring or early summer.

My point was heatwaves kill and that is why the effect of high temperatures shouldn't be trivialised nor people patronised because they suffer from the effects. Whether cold temperatures kill more or not is irrelevant to that point. Yes cold temperatures kill more which is why I don't relish extremes at either end of the distribution, and if there are people that suffer in 10-14C they are going to be suffering in the UK climate for most of the year, they have to dress appropriately for the conditions and their own comfort level, I fail to see the relevance of this either to the point I was making. Not liking high temperatures or acknowledging high temperatures kill is NOT the same as advocating below normal temperatures or ignoring the side effects of cold weather, it is not a binary either-or.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, al78 said:

My point was heatwaves kill and that is why the effect of high temperatures shouldn't be trivialised nor people patronised because they suffer from the effects. Whether cold temperatures kill more or not is irrelevant to that point. Yes cold temperatures kill more which is why I don't relish extremes at either end of the distribution, and if there are people that suffer in 10-14C they are going to be suffering in the UK climate for most of the year, they have to dress appropriately for the conditions and their own comfort level, I fail to see the relevance of this either to the point I was making. Not liking high temperatures or acknowledging high temperatures kill is NOT the same as advocating below normal temperatures or ignoring the side effects of cold weather, it is not a binary either-or.

My argument is, why do so many complain about the heat, when we see so little of it in this country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My argument is, why do so many complain about the heat, when we see so little of it in this country.

Heatwaves do kill but let's be realistic, those extreme "plumes" of upper 30s temps that we tend to see maybe once (twice max) each Summer last a few days max. Sometimes just a single day. 

Unless you're an individual who is extremely susceptible to heat, 30c isn't anything damaging. It's just a hot summer day. Temps that much of the wider world sees for weeks on end throughout summer and perfectly normal for the 99.9% of the population to deal with. 

40c in England? Yes, that's excessive, and potentially deadly for some, but we recorded it for 1 day last year, the first time ever. Nothing to suggest we'll get another 40c this year, or even many days in the upper 30s. 

For all intents and purposes, the UK is one of the best countries in the world for heat-haters, or those who have medical issues that make them sensitive/susceptible to the heat.

Old people dying in their homes over winter due to not being able to afford the energy prices to heat their houses properly is a far more pressing issue than the potential of 2/3 days of upper 30c heat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Why do so many complain about the cold then? When we see so little of it in this country. 

Ps. Your on the wrong thread!🤣

12 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

30c isn't anything damaging. It's just a hot summer day.

You missed the word uncomfortable out.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

In the words of Kevin Keegan, I would love it, love it if we don't hit 30 degrees this summer, love it.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Why do so many complain about the cold then? When we see so little of it in this country. 

Ps. Your on the wrong thread!🤣

You missed the word uncomfortable out.

More people use their heating throughout the year, as opposed to air con to cool their homes down. This country is colder for longer during the year. 

It doesn’t have to be 0c or below to qualify for cold, just because you think 5-10c is mild, when most people find that cold enough to need their heating on🤣

4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

In the words of Kevin Keegan, I would love it, love it if we don't hit 30 degrees this summer, love it.

Who cares about that knob! Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

More people use their heating throughout the year, as opposed to air con to cool their homes down. This country is colder for longer during the year. 

It doesn’t have to be 0c or below to qualify for cold, just because you think 5-10c is mild, when most people find that cold enough to need their heating on🤣

Who cares about that knob! Lol

😂 whatever happened to him lol

Posted
8 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

second that

• Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It doesn’t have to be 0c or below to qualify for cold, just because you think 5-10c is mild

Bingo my friend, you are almost getting there!! It doesn't have to be above 23c to be hot, just because you think 20 to 25c is warm...i think you might at long last be getting there! Oh and by the way your still on the wrong thread!😀

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, markyo said:

Bingo my friend, you are almost getting there!! It doesn't have to be above 23c to be hot, just because you think 20 to 25c is warm...i think you might at long last be getting there! Oh and by the way your still on the wrong thread!😀

He's looking for a fight don't rise to it. I hate the cold weather unless it's seasonal and snowing! But I'm not coming in here and picking a fight with you in a thread where I don't belong

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Thankfully next weekends heat has been dialled down a few degrees and some much needed rain is on the offering, its a start, fingers crossed more to come.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looking like there maybe some hot unpleasant weather on the way but mostly in lala land so may not happen yet. Fingers crossed. Temperatures right now about perfect if we didn't have the north sea cloud in the morning. So lose the north sea cloud keep the present temperatures and perfecto.

• Like 4

Posted

Totally agree with that The Pit. We're at 19.9c here might have touched on low 20s earlier. Perfect temps in my view. Certainly don't want hotter.

• Like 3