Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
19 minutes ago, chilly milly said:

Totally agree with that The Pit. We're at 19.9c here might have touched on low 20s earlier. Perfect temps in my view. Certainly don't want hotter.

Anything over 26 is pointless

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Anything over 26 is pointless

Pointless and uncomfortable for sleeping. Fingers crossed nothing to bad.

• Like 4

Fast approaching the first horrid heat of the year. Mustn't grumble too much, done well so far and it's just over 2 months to mid-August after which the darkening evenings help.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Fast approaching the first horrid heat of the year. Mustn't grumble too much, done well so far and it's just over 2 months to mid-August after which the darkening evenings help.

I hope July is akin to 1988 or 2020 and an August like 2014 or 1993. And a September like 1986, October like 1992, November like 1985 and December like 2010. One can only wish..😄

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Frigid said:

I hope July is akin to 1988 or 2020 and an August like 2014 or 1993. And a September like 1986, October like 1992, November like 1985 and December like 2010. One can only wish..😄

Not the horrible heat of last year, but not crap, please. 😄

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

Yep mid August is the real step change to lengthening nights and a slightly lower sun during the day.

I can generally handle heatwaves further into August.

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Yep mid August is the real step change to lengthening nights and a slightly lower sun during the day.

I can generally handle heatwaves further into August.

The heatwaves in September 2020/21 weren't bad, given it being so late in the year. Though, I wonder what it must've felt like during the 1st Oct 2011. That warm spell fascinates me to this day. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frigid said:

The heatwaves in September 2020/21 weren't bad, given it being so late in the year. Though, I wonder what it must've felt like during the 1st Oct 2011. That warm spell fascinates me to this day. 

I remember it but don’t remember it being anything extraordinary feeling. Just very warm with a soft early autumn light.

Pretty much the inverse of a cold spell early April. A watered down version of what would have occurred extremity wise in the preceding season.

• Like 1

Posted

I wish it could stay like this for the rest of summer temp wise. Max at about 24 with single digit night time temperatures. Perfect - not a fan of extreme heat, which for me can happen from about mid June to mid September- I always look forward to the end of September 

• Like 6

Posted

Just seen some very very weird posts on the Summer thread. Folk actually wanting warm muggy sticky nights!. Seriously there are some very very strange folk out there!. Not looking great at the moment, humidity(the worst condition) will increase, next weekend could be very uncomfortable for many. Just hoping that in 8 weeks time the worst of the heat is starting to die away. Autumn can't come quick enough.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Just seen some very very weird posts on the Summer thread. Folk actually wanting warm muggy sticky nights!. Seriously there are some very very strange folk out there!. Not looking great at the moment, humidity(the worst condition) will increase, next weekend could be very uncomfortable for many. Just hoping that in 8 weeks time the worst of the heat is starting to die away. Autumn can't come quick enough.

Never gone away.

Posted
4 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Never gone away.

Pardon? Suspect your on the wrong thread.

• Like 1

Posted

I like it by day and evening as it's warm enough to not be cold and sit out in it. But agree it's hell for sleeping. Especially in my menopausal state with night sweats!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Unlike strange folk like yourself who want it to be permanently damp and cool lol.

2 hours ago, markyo said:

Hmm, you mean the humidity and sticky nights that haven’t even happened yet. That’s part and parcel of summer. 

Warm nights are lovely in the summer. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Something I notice alot during the opressive heatwaves in my day job, is a notable rise in short tempers. So many seem one delay from loosing their control and many do loose their control.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.

Met Office again with their "lots of sunshine on offer" nonsense in the summary.  When will they get it into their heads that not everybody wants sunshine, or warm weather?  Fortunately it looks like being quite cloudy, especially in the mornings so it won't be too bad.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Unlike strange folk like yourself who want it to be permanently damp and cool lol.

Hmm, you mean the humidity and sticky nights that haven’t even happened yet. That’s part and parcel of summer. 

It's almost as if not everybody has the same tastes in weather as you.  "Strange folks"?  As opposed to those who want temps in the high 20s weeks at a time, and warm oppressive nights?  And just because the heat and humidity is part and parcel of summer doesn't make heat haters like it any more, and is the main reason many of us hate summer.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, S Bragg said:

It's almost as if not everybody has the same tastes in weather as you.  "Strange folks"?  As opposed to those who want temps in the high 20s weeks at a time, and warm oppressive nights?  And just because the heat and humidity is part and parcel of summer doesn't make heat haters like it any more, and is the main reason many of us hate summer.

Yeah, how anyone can actually enjoy lying in bed at night sweating their nads off is the strange thing to me.

Personally I value my sleep.

• Like 8

Posted
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Your like a lost soul aren't you? Thrashing about angrily in a land you can't comprehend. Suggest you go back to that land you understand and where folk may listen to you...😉

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, S Bragg said:

Met Office again with their "lots of sunshine on offer" nonsense in the summary.  When will they get it into their heads that not everybody wants sunshine, or warm weather?  Fortunately it looks like being quite cloudy, especially in the mornings so it won't be too bad.

I'm not going to knock your weather preference (even if it does seem completely alien to me) - but I would suggest it's because you are in the vast minority.

I guess it's kind of like Christmas - I hate Christmas, but I understand the vast majority enjoy Christmas. It would be like the country not mentioning or celebrating Christmas just because a small subsection of us don't like it.

I could do with the nights not being extreme this year (due to having a baby to keep cool) but I would like some warm evenings where I can actually sit outside in less than a thick jumper/hoody.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
9 hours ago, Stelmer said:

Something I notice alot during the opressive heatwaves in my day job, is a notable rise in short tempers. So many seem one delay from loosing their control and many do loose their control.

See, this is interesting (and I'm honestly not trying to be contrarian here or discredit what you're saying), because in my experience both in terms of worklife and personal life, the vast majority of people seem far more at ease, happy, sociable and less frustrated when we're having a period of sunny and hot weather. The heatwaves bring so many people out and about enjoying themselves...to beaches, on hikes, going camping, having parties, BBQs, etc - it's those little morale boosts that the 99% of the British public (especially younger people) need after A) nearly losing 2 years of their lives due to Covid restrictions, and B) ridiculous energy costs and a very cool Spring meaning many people still had heating on well in May. 

I suppose it depends on what we consider 'oppressive'. I would consider it anything over 35c. But realistically, days of over 35c in the UK are very rare, and usually limited to the SE region. Days over 30c are a handful, sprinkling here and there. A decently hot summer day is anything over 25c and sunny (in my book, anyway) - weather which would see most of the country jumping for joy, because its quite rare and allows for properly usable outdoor activities from early morning and late in the evening (which temps of 18/19/20c etc do not).  

Posted
31 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

See, this is interesting (and I'm honestly not trying to be contrarian here or discredit what you're saying), because in my experience both in terms of worklife and personal life, the vast majority of people seem far more at ease, happy, sociable and less frustrated when we're having a period of sunny and hot weather. The heatwaves bring so many people out and about enjoying themselves...to beaches, on hikes, going camping, having parties, BBQs, etc - it's those little morale boosts that the 99% of the British public (especially younger people) need after A) nearly losing 2 years of their lives due to Covid restrictions, and B) ridiculous energy costs and a very cool Spring meaning many people still had heating on well in May. 

I suppose it depends on what we consider 'oppressive'. I would consider it anything over 35c. But realistically, days of over 35c in the UK are very rare, and usually limited to the SE region. Days over 30c are a handful, sprinkling here and there. A decently hot summer day is anything over 25c and sunny (in my book, anyway) - weather which would see most of the country jumping for joy, because its quite rare and allows for properly usable outdoor activities from early morning and late in the evening (which temps of 18/19/20c etc do not).  

In my industry the hot weather is universally unwelcomed. Not just by us engineers but also the clients staff, how the poor nurses cope sometimes is beyond belief, i've seen then keel over at times. ~I detest no being able to cool down, after 6 to 8 hrs in 40c plus and 100% humidity, coming out to anything over 25c is vile. Your core temp just doesn't drop quickly enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2