Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted

Well Saturday onwards looks vile.. warm and humid but also wet??? What on earth. Yes we need some rain, the ground is rock solid. I'm pretty content with the weather as it is with cool nights and sunny days but I can tell the humidity next week won't be fun. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
24 minutes ago, markyo said:

In my industry the hot weather is universally unwelcomed. Not just by us engineers but also the clients staff, how the poor nurses cope sometimes is beyond belief, i've seen then keel over at times. ~I detest no being able to cool down, after 6 to 8 hrs in 40c plus and 100% humidity, coming out to anything over 25c is vile. Your core temp just doesn't drop quickly enough.

Definitely a case of "one man's trash is another's treasure". I would likely feel the same in such a work environment, as it becomes oppressive on a daily basis. 

It is a testament to the resilience of nurses and healthcare staff tbh. Why are the temps so high and humid out of interest, is it simply specific healthcare wards/environments that need it for certain machinery? I'm not massively knowledgeable about it but obviously it's not 40c or anything close to it in the majority of NHS / healthcare environments. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

This is definitely my club! I increasingly dislike anything much above 25C, and add in humidity and I just go to ground until it passes. 10 degrees with light drizzle would be my ideal all year round. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, S Bragg said:

Met Office again with their "lots of sunshine on offer" nonsense in the summary.  When will they get it into their heads that not everybody wants sunshine, or warm weather?  Fortunately it looks like being quite cloudy, especially in the mornings so it won't be too bad.

Maybe not everybody, but the vast vast majority. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Definitely a case of "one man's trash is another's treasure". I would likely feel the same in such a work environment, as it becomes oppressive on a daily basis. 

It is a testament to the resilience of nurses and healthcare staff tbh. Why are the temps so high and humid out of interest, is it simply specific healthcare wards/environments that need it for certain machinery? I'm not massively knowledgeable about it but obviously it's not 40c or anything close to it in the majority of NHS / healthcare environments. 

Its in the decontamination rooms, they use Autoclaves, steam sterilisers, operate at 134c and its the heat but also the venting off at the end of cycle that causes the humidity, CQC regs do not allow windows or and kind of ventilation from ext to int. The best is a small extractor fan. Had them over 50c but thankfully then the autoclaves are cutting out because they can't condense fully at those temps.

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

I'll make a note to post on the cold haters club thread in future....only fair i do that to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking like Friday marks the end of anything even remotely pleasant. Warm days, but cool nights replaced by hot, humid European muck. Will never fathom why others relish the thought of such things.

• Like 3

Posted
17 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Looking like Friday marks the end of anything even remotely pleasant. Warm days, but cool nights replaced by hot, humid European muck. Will never fathom why others relish the thought of such things.

It is one of the great mysteries mate. I literally have not got a clue. The crap heading our way is just that, continental humid, uncomfortable crap. It has been fantastic this Spring and the run into June, the sooner this vile **** gets swept away the better, plus many areas need proper rainfall now. 

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, markyo said:

It is one of the great mysteries mate. I literally have not got a clue. The crap heading our way is just that, continental humid, uncomfortable crap. It has been fantastic this Spring and the run into June, the sooner this vile **** gets swept away the better, plus many areas need proper rainfall now. 

Will probably get laughed at for this, but really don't care. The summer of 2018 nearly broke me. Where I live in the north west is the worst place you can be when it comes to easterly winds. Weeks of high 20s and over light lows not far below 19c. 

Worst of all, I can't even get a decent ac unit because the way my house is designed, I can't vent the exhaust hose 😔

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Will probably get laughed at for this, but really don't care. The summer of 2018 nearly broke me. Where I live in the north west is the worst place you can be when it comes to easterly winds. Weeks of high 20s and over light lows not far below 19c. 

Worst of all, I can't even get a decent ac unit because the way my house is designed, I can't vent the exhaust hose 😔

I'm not surprised, those who laugh at your post...well shall we say are the less tolerant on here. Also the less intelligent to be honest. Sleep is essential, like air and water. For those like yourself and countless(me included) others hot humid nights are a nightmare. It is possible to vent through a cavity wall if that helps? When a specific type of weather stops you from sleeping, that is a real issue.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
On 06/06/2023 at 15:29, Alderc said:

Not sure I'd agree with a vast majority. I'd imagine if you asked do you want 20c and sunny or 5c and raining then yes 90% would take the former. If you asked would you rather have 35c and sunny or 15c and cloudy it would be far more even or maybe even favouring 15c. Most people like mild but very warm becomes wearing quite quickly for most people.

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'm not surprised, those who laugh at your post...well shall we say are the less tolerant on here. Also the less intelligent to be honest. Sleep is essential, like air and water. For those like yourself and countless(me included) others hot humid nights are a nightmare. It is possible to vent through a cavity wall if that helps? When a specific type of weather stops you from sleeping, that is a real issue.

Being a council property, I don't think that would be possible/permitted. My windows are the "swing out" variety so I can't even use those things that come with the ac units that fit into sliding windows. Rock and a hard place lol

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Not sure I'd agree with a vast majority. I'd imagine if you asked do you want 20c and sunny or 5c and raining then yes 90% would take the former. If you asked would you rather have 35c and sunny or 15c and cloudy it would be far more even or maybe even favouring 15c. Most people like mild but very warm becomes wearing quite quickly for most people.

Everyone has their own preferences, but the one thing that can't be argued, is our homes and general infrastructure is designed to store heat, not expel it. Our homes just trap the heat like a green house. I'd give anything to be able to tolerate heat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Have you noticed time seems to have ground to a halt too, just before the solstice. Can’t wait until we’re on the other side of that particular milestone.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
22 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Have you noticed time seems to have ground to a halt too, just before the solstice. Can’t wait until we’re on the other side of that particular milestone.

Unfortunately July is usually the warmest month, the start of the football season is pretty much when the worst of the heat starts to wane.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.

Not long to go until the longest day so on the one hand the days will soon start getting shorter again soon, but we have another 2-3 months' worth of muck to wade through in terms of actual weather.  However, summer is but a fleeting thing in the grand scheme of things and in a couple of months' time the countdown to autumn will be in all our minds.  Roll on!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, S Bragg said:

Not long to go until the longest day so on the one hand the days will soon start getting shorter again soon, but we have another 2-3 months' worth of muck to wade through in terms of actual weather.  However, summer is but a fleeting thing in the grand scheme of things and in a couple of months' time the countdown to autumn will be in all our minds.  Roll on!

Einstein said time was relative lol. Winter seems to go in the blink of an eye, whilst summer just seems to drag for an eternity. Just waiting to see who has a breakdown first; the weather or me 😭

• Like 3

Posted

No words, yet another protracted warm spell. The warm nights will be the worst part. Something tells me this will be the warmest June since 1976..

image.thumb.png.443820b04c6e350dbef7eec7d1ab2cca.png

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, Frigid said:

No words, yet another protracted warm spell. The warm nights will be the worst part. Something tells me this will be the warmest June since 1976..

Tell me about it. 2018 nearly broke me. I don't cope well with anything I can't see an end to. The posters in the model thread don't know how lucky they are. Don't fear deep cold and don't fear searing heat. Dreading this summer 🤢

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
5 hours ago, Frigid said:

I suppose the one crumb of comfort is temps aren't especially high; certainly for my neck of the woods it looks mostly mid-20s but I agree the monotony and protracted nature of this weather will grind many of us down.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

My trick for the house is to keep curtains on South/West facing windows shut from midday, keep east facing curtains shut till the sun moves away and keep windows open on both sides if it's safe to do so.  I also add a fan that I leave on 24/7 infront of an open window for airflow too. I need to look at a whole house extraction fan in the upstairs landing ceiling. That will make a massive difference.

If you're lucky to have a passing storm, the updraft can cool the house well.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
On 03/06/2023 at 12:56, Sunny76 said:

More people use their heating throughout the year, as opposed to air con to cool their homes down. This country is colder for longer during the year. 

It doesn’t have to be 0c or below to qualify for cold, just because you think 5-10c is mild, when most people find that cold enough to need their heating on🤣

Who cares about that knob! Lol

Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and Families well and those Heat Haters amongst us are making preparations for what is about to occur.

I have to take issue with your first Sentence, Sunny76.

No offence but that is a very broad and sweeping statement to make?

In the past few Years, my Wife and myself have had to use Fans in both our Bedroom and Lounge much more, than our heating.

We are dreading this Summer and can't wait for Autumn to come.

We can't afford to own our own House and live in a Housing Association property, which is the most poorly designed you could imagine in terms of an ambient comfortable temperature, to live in.

Our Bedroom, also known as the "Black Hole of Kolkata", is miniscule and you'd have trouble swinging the proverbial cat in it!!

Our Bedroom lies directly above our Kitchen and when the Oven is in use, the hot air rises and finds its way on to the top level of our House, especially our Bedroom.

At times during the past few Summers, we've had 3 fans running throughout the Night just to cool the bedroom down sufficiently enough to sleep but still woke up, sweating buckets!!

Both my Wife and myself have health issues. My Wife has Fibromyalgia and has a low tolerance of heat.

I had a Stroke in 2015 and am on 3 different types of medication for Hypertension and since my Stroke, have also have a very low  tolerance to heat/humidity. In fact in the Summer of 2018 I had to attend the Urgent Care Dept. of our local Hospital in Sidcup.

My left ankle had swollen to twice the size of my right one and you could actually see fluid slopping about under the skin, on my left foot.

Although my B.P. reading was normal and I hadn't been out in the Sun, a Doctor at the Hospital said I was suffering from Heat Exhaustion, and due to that was retaining fluid. He also commented that you don't have had to been out in the Sun to became ill from that condition, especially if your property, is retaining heat and not cooling down sufficiently, at Night.

The Doctor advised me to keep my left ankle/foot raised up so it was slightly higher than my heart and keep well hydrated. Fortunately, when I returned home, heeding that advice my left ankle/foot soon returned to its normal size. 

During the July heatwave of last Summer, after having my necessary Afternoon nap, our Bedroom temperature was still incredibly hot, even with 3 fans operating. On waking I sensed I was about to pass out and fortunately my Wife was soon on hand and got me to put my feet in tepid water, and sprayed me with cool/cold water. Fortunately my Wife's quick action, meant I soon recovered. 

We really are dreading the next few Months, with energy prices still high.

Could I respectively suggest that perhaps those Members who like their Summers in the hot category, open their own "Heat Lovers Club" Thread.

This Thread pretty much does what it says on the tin, "Heat Haters Club 2023".  

Personal opinions about heat/humidity, tend to be very subjective and linked to ones own personal preferences and no doubt their living conditions, and also their health.

"One Man's meat, is another Man's poison", springs to mind!!

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and Families well and those Heat Haters amongst us are making preparations for what is about to occur.

I have to take issue with your first Sentence, Sunny76.

No offence but that is a very broad and sweeping statement to make?

In the past few Years, my Wife and myself have had to use Fans in both our Bedroom and Lounge much more, than our heating.

We are dreading this Summer and can't wait for Autumn to come.

We can't afford to own our own House and live in a Housing Association property, which is the most poorly designed you could imagine in terms of an ambient comfortable temperature, to live in.

Our Bedroom, also known as the "Black Hole of Kolkata", is miniscule and you'd have trouble swinging the proverbial cat in it!!

Our Bedroom lies directly above our Kitchen and when the Oven is in use, the hot air rises and finds its way on to the top level of our House, especially our Bedroom.

At times during the past few Summers, we've had 3 fans running throughout the Night just to cool the bedroom down sufficiently enough to sleep but still woke up, sweating buckets!!

Both my Wife and myself have health issues. My Wife has Fibromyalgia and has a low tolerance of heat.

I had a Stroke in 2015 and am on 3 different types of medication for Hypertension and since my Stroke, have also have a very low  tolerance to heat/humidity. In fact in the Summer of 2018 I had to attend the Urgent Care Dept. of our local Hospital in Sidcup.

My left ankle had swollen to twice the size of my right one and you could actually see fluid slopping about under the skin, on my left foot.

Although my B.P. reading was normal and I hadn't been out in the Sun, a Doctor at the Hospital said I was suffering from Heat Exhaustion, and due to that was retaining fluid. He also commented that you don't have had to been out in the Sun to became ill from that condition, especially if your property, is retaining heat and not cooling down sufficiently, at Night.

The Doctor advised me to keep my left ankle/foot raised up so it was slightly higher than my heart and keep well hydrated. Fortunately, when I returned home, heeding that advice my left ankle/foot soon returned to its normal size. 

During the July heatwave of last Summer, after having my necessary Afternoon nap, our Bedroom temperature was still incredibly hot, even with 3 fans operating. On waking I sensed I was about to pass out and fortunately my Wife was soon on hand and got me to put my feet in tepid water, and sprayed me with cool/cold water. Fortunately my Wife's quick action, meant I soon recovered. 

We really are dreading the next few Months, with energy prices still high.

Could I respectively suggest that perhaps those Members who like their Summers in the hot category, open their own "Heat Lovers Club" Thread.

This Thread pretty much does what it says on the tin, "Heat Haters Club 2023".  

Personal opinions about heat/humidity, tend to be very subjective and linked to ones own personal preferences and no doubt their living conditions, and also their health.

"One Man's meat, is another Man's poison", springs to mind!!

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Hi, mate.

I've seen your posts over the years and I can sympathise. I'm also someone who's health takes a turn for the worse in hot weather. Also like you, I'm in a council property that is very poorly designed. Bedrooms on the top floor of 3, and windows that open in such a way that I couldn't vent an exhaust hose from a portable ac unit out of the window. Not to mention the cost of running one.

The summer of 2018 nearly broke me. Being in the north west, we were subject to the worst temps from the easterly pattern that seemed to last forever. Fans helped, but at those temps, they're pretty much useless.

Hope you and your wife are okay through this muck.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
23 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Hi, mate.

I've seen your posts over the years and I can sympathise. I'm also someone who's health takes a turn for the worse in hot weather. Also like you, I'm in a council property that is very poorly designed. Bedrooms on the top floor of 3, and windows that open in such a way that I couldn't vent an exhaust hose from a portable ac unit out of the window. Not to mention the cost of running one.

The summer of 2018 nearly broke me. Being in the north west, we were subject to the worst temps from the easterly pattern that seemed to last forever. Fans helped, but at those temps, they're pretty much useless.

Hope you and your wife are okay through this muck.

Well almost the middle of June and we have had to wait since last August ,yes almost 10 months to see temperatures into the 20s Celsius mark. I don't like heat myself ,but it don't happen that much in this country 😃😂😁😀😄😅

• Like 3

Posted

22 and sunny is as far as I go with coolish night are ideal. Can do 27/28 but more than that and I'm sat under my lounge fan🤣

Be worth some pain for a good storm though.

• Like 2