Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

I have to admit it was brutal out there today. Actually felt worse to be out and about in than some of the very hot but less humid days last summer. Sweat was dripping off me by the time I got to work after a 1.5 mile walk in.

One thing that sticks in my mind from 2018, is it was supposed to be a "drier heat". Didn't stop it being just as unbearable. There is no good heat imo.

• Like 3

Posted

Low of 18C last night, possibly higher into the city. I've always associated the first half of June to be cool and dry.. not this year. Just hoping July is a cool and wet one, need the rain now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a awful night, feel total shattered. Trying to keep a/c off due to cost but not a hope now. Easily the worst spell of weather for nearly a year. Actually feel ill. Hayfever bomb? oh yes that has gone off.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

What an awful night, feel total shattered. Trying to keep a/c off due to cost but not a hope now. Easily the worst spell of weather for nearly a year. Actually feel ill. Hayfever bomb? oh yes that has gone off.

Had the added pleasure of my 10 year old today son getting into our bed at 3am because he was too excited to sleep, sweaty little boy. Probably the driest place in England, all the rain missing  to the west again

Posted
19 minutes ago, saintkip said:

Had the added pleasure of my 10 year old today son getting into our bed at 3am because he was too excited to sleep, sweaty little boy. Probably the driest place in England, all the rain missing  to the west again

Sounds like a long long night!

Posted
18 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sounds like a long long night!

Indeed and now to get on the train to London to go to the London dungeons, it’s gonna he hot 

Posted
15 minutes ago, saintkip said:

Indeed and now to get on the train to London to go to the London dungeons, it’s gonna he hot 

Good luck....avoid the tube!

• Insightful 1

Posted

Not going to speak too soon but so far I have not had to visit this thread. The last week has seen consistent easterly winds varying between NE and SE. That has meant that even over the last few days we have only seen 20-22c which is at the top end of our comfort zone but doesn't cause major whining, and its cooled down nicely at night. This is very different to last year's hot weather when we were in a SW airstream, which felt like dragons breath here.

Only problem, we have a trip to London booked at the end of the month for my wife's birthday, but I think we may regret it. She is also a heat hater.

Moving to the east coast was undoubtedly one of better decisions 20 years ago...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
13 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Not going to speak too soon but so far I have not had to visit this thread. The last week has seen consistent easterly winds varying between NE and SE. That has meant that even over the last few days we have only seen 20-22c which is at the top end of our comfort zone but doesn't cause major whining, and its cooled down nicely at night. This is very different to last year's hot weather when we were in a SW airstream, which felt like dragons breath here.

Only problem, we have a trip to London booked at the end of the month for my wife's birthday, but I think we may regret it. She is also a heat hater.

Moving to the east coast was undoubtedly one of better decisions 20 years ago...

Greetings Mike,

Well Sunday has been the best day of the year so far in Bridlington but it is still about 18c but the increased moisture makes it feel warmer than that today.

It has been 29-32c in London area this weekend which would be stifling after being in cool Bridlington !

It's actually been hammering down in parts of West London from a few thunderstorms that have broken out this afternoon.

We need to experience a westerly wind off the land here in Bridlington after a long time with these easterly zone winds varying in strength.

Beautiful day along the coast for sure but still waiting for the FIRST official 21c of the year which is rather poor .

Posted
49 minutes ago, matt brid said:

Beautiful day along the coast for sure but still waiting for the FIRST official 21c of the year which is rather poor .

I am happy to wait.

What I found more unsettling is that I grew up in London in the 1960s and we had several years when we never got to 30c. Now it's a case of days at a time if you live in the SE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mike57 said:

I am happy to wait.

What I found more unsettling is that I grew up in London in the 1960s and we had several years when we never got to 30c. Now it's a case of days at a time if you live in the SE.

Years gone by, 30c in the NW was practically impossible. Something seems to have changed since 2018 where we are stuck with rancid easterly winds. Whilst most of the country sits just above the average, the NW boils

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, mike57 said:

I am happy to wait.

Well more concrete and buildings compared to back then - the UHI is stronger and it can produce some very high temperatures given the right set up.

It's very dry in Bridlington which is of more concern as time passes.

19.9c top for Bridlington today actually in the end .

• Like 1

Posted

It's that sticky time of day again! I'm sleeping on the sofa and have windows and the patio doors open! ... Will close them soon mind as don't want waking by the chickens!

Posted

What a terrible way to start a working week, utterly shattered. What understanding i had to why folk like this type of weather has now evaporated just like most of my bodily fluids. It is by far the worst type of weather to endure, fatigue could be deadly. Just praying now for that breakdown to come and freshness to return.

• Like 3

Posted
10 hours ago, matt brid said:

Well more concrete and buildings compared to back then

Not really, the central area of London, out to the start of the green belt was mainly built up prior to WW2, Central London has more high rise now, but parks and open spaces haven't changed much, and large areas outside the centre e.g. like the area I was brought up in, Balham, haven't changed much in terms of overall development. There has been change but the proportion of built to open space is much the same.

Looking back at data from the last 60 years what is clear is that although the average rise in temperature is maybe 1.5C what has changed far more is the potential maximum temperatures. In my life time the highest recorded temperature has increased by nearly 5c, every few years the record gets pushed a bit higher. I wonder if the cleaner atmosphere owing to restrictions on things like coal burning has made a difference as well.

I do think that changes are going to be needed to the UK infrastructure, and these changes are probably going to be quite painful. Current emphasis on 'Energy efficency' is going to have to be replaced by something which considers keeping cool in hot weather, as well as warm in cold weather. Managing heat is also potentially more difficult. If you are cold you have options to add clothing etc, maybe you are not comfortable, but probably not life threatening, where as overheating is potentially deadly in a much shorter time frame.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
34 minutes ago, markyo said:

What a terrible way to start a working week, utterly shattered. What understanding i had to why folk like this type of weather has now evaporated just like most of my bodily fluids. It is by far the worst type of weather to endure, fatigue could be deadly. Just praying now for that breakdown to come and freshness to return.

Likewise got too sleep after midnight feeling shattered right now. Another scorcher to come and unpleasant looking week to come. Hopefully it'll cool down to hot rather than very hot and warm if we are lucky.

• Like 1

Posted

Don't mind it being warm, but don't like it being hot.

No one really needs it any warmer than 25C suerly - any hotter and you can't really do anything other than sit around.

In other news, hayfever is really kicking off for me now, so personally I am wishing away the next 6 weeks until the grass pollen subsides at the end of July. Hope the last week in July arrives quickly!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
11 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Another sickening day of heat with more to come. I don't know how summer lovers prefer this over low 20s. My body feels like a lead weight 😔

Come to the south coast, its cloudy and 16c here 😇

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
6 hours ago, mike57 said:

Not really, the central area of London, out to the start of the green belt was mainly built up prior to WW2, Central London has more high rise now, but parks and open spaces haven't changed much, and large areas outside the centre e.g. like the area I was brought up in, Balham, haven't changed much in terms of overall development. There has been change but the proportion of built to open space is much the same.

Looking back at data from the last 60 years what is clear is that although the average rise in temperature is maybe 1.5C what has changed far more is the potential maximum temperatures. In my life time the highest recorded temperature has increased by nearly 5c, every few years the record gets pushed a bit higher. I wonder if the cleaner atmosphere owing to restrictions on things like coal burning has made a difference as well.

I do think that changes are going to be needed to the UK infrastructure, and these changes are probably going to be quite painful. Current emphasis on 'Energy efficency' is going to have to be replaced by something which considers keeping cool in hot weather, as well as warm in cold weather. Managing heat is also potentially more difficult. If you are cold you have options to add clothing etc, maybe you are not comfortable, but probably not life threatening, where as overheating is potentially deadly in a much shorter time frame.

The move to things like air source heat pumps somewhat resolves the air conditioning issue however UK summers still don't warrant this. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Stationary Front said:

Last week was great, could sit outside, eat outside, do gardening etc, but now too hot, only able to sit inside now. Might as well be raining 

Last week was the perfect balance. This muck pleases nobody except the hardcore summer lovers frequenting the MAD thread.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Just had a massive downpour here, hail and all. Brought the temps down a little. Nice.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, simshady said:

Just had a massive downpour here, hail and all. Brought the temps down a little. Nice.

Just seems to have made the air more "soupy" here. Years gone by you could count on a storm to clear the air. We don't even get that anymore. Troughs just seem to stall or sink rather than push through.