Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Cooling off a little now here thank goodness.. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well the sea fret has come in hereon the east coast and temps down to 19c but very humid.

This was the view out of our back garden about 20 mins ago

20230907_184103.thumb.jpg.1f3aac35d94aa717f005f87b43116b00.jpg

Better than heat and sun...

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, mike57 said:

Well the sea fret has come in hereon the east coast and temps down to 19c but very humid.

This was the view out of our back garden about 20 mins ago

20230907_184103.thumb.jpg.1f3aac35d94aa717f005f87b43116b00.jpg

Better than heat and sun...

Yes atm I would sooner have that.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

This where they should be a maximum working temperature at work. Perhaps one day we will get one. Sounds like you should stay at home or work at home.

Yes, if the Government are serious about backing their stance on climate change, then they need to be backing this up with actual actions, maximum workplace temperatures need to be brought in, and perhaps even a new set of working hours for offices, factories etc which start earlier and so avoid the hottest part of the day.

I currently hybrid work, three days WFH and two in the office - usually Mon and Thurs. I'm the only one out of the team who does still WFH and I managed to plead an extension after lockdown ended, by requesting flexible working adaptions for health reasons. Unfortunately, I can't get a full time WFH contract out of my employer otherwise I would have sold up and buggered off to live on the Shetlands well before this September heat malarky.

Edited by Chris J
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Too hot. I don’t get how anyone can enjoy this. Mid twenties I can understand but thirties with high humidity feels like torture. Even my dad who loves warm weather is finding it uncomfortable. I can’t wait until we get some proper autumn weather then I’ll be happy 😸

I was lucky had a pool practice for a couple of hours or so, with air con on, lovely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

You can also get fittings for the window how good they are I don't know though. Probably cheap rubbish from china. Have a look on Amazon.

Dunno about car aircon. My least three cars seem to struggle once it gets to 30c and provide a limited relief.

My new work car was terrible, the front windows are not solar shielded and it was literally a greenhouse on wheels.  I had to pay for a local firm to solar tint the windows, made a massive difference. I miss the last car, the a/c was never turned off.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Working in a classroom with windows open,( must ventilate as Covid is back in our school and I cannot afford to get pneumonia more than 3 times in one year) , can keep it at around 28 degrees until around 2 pm but then it’s up to 29. Horrible sweating, but better than being in our school labs last year when it was 38/39. Looking forward to being able to sleep again next week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
32 minutes ago, Pewkzii said:

Hahaha well I’m hiding a secret ya see! I’m actually a southerner ooop north 😂 that probably explains it huh lol 

I’ve been here since 2010 and before that I was living in East Sussex 🙂 

What a strange coincidence......I used to be a northerner darn sarf!! Lived in Oxfordshire for a couple of years between 2015 and 2017 🙂

• Like 1

Posted

Still 24c outside, 25c in the living room and 28c in the Bedroom. Sleep will be evasive again tonight. 

I envy those who get a breeze overnight, not even a hint of one here at the moment just endless oppressive humidity hanging thick in the outside air. I've currently got a 20" floor fan blasting outside air into the hallway through the open front door, and a couple of desk fans on the bedroom window sill drawing air in from the open windows in the hope of lowering the upstairs temperature even a degree or so.

It didn't drop below 25c upstairs last night despite the ad-hoc fan arrangement forcing in the outside air, and I expect to see about the same by 5AM tomorrow morning.

3c to drop then........

Edited by Chris J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, Chris J said:

Still 24c outside, 25c in the living room and 28c in the Bedroom. Sleep will be evasive again tonight. 

I envy those who get a breeze overnight, not even a hint of one here at the moment just endless oppressive humidity hanging thick in the outside air. I've currently got a 20" floor fan blasting outside air into the hallway through the open front door, and a couple of desk fans on the bedroom window sill drawing air in from the open windows in the hope of lowering the upstairs temperature even a degree or so.

It didn't drop below 25c upstairs last night despite the ad-hoc fan arrangement forcing in the outside air, and I expect to see about the same by 5AM tomorrow morning.

3c to drop then........

horrid this time of year, lights on makes it hotter, okay in June/July as light until after 10pm

Well I have to admit this spell is quite something, its very sobering and despite the darkening mornings and evenings it's increasingly unpleasant. Before this week I always saw mid-August as a point when the risk of serious heat would fade, but to be looking at 7 successive days in September with the UK seeing 30c plus then going to have rethink that, especially with such high nighttime temperatures.

I would urge heat haters to really look at equipping their homes for heatwaves, the trends are there for all to see.

We made 25.6c here today, the warmest so far. The house is 22c so it's slowly creeping up inside too. The end is in sight, roll on Monday.

Posted

Genuinely the worst spell of weather in September in my life, last night was stiflingly hot and the next few days look horrid. 

Thankfully, the heat will depart from Monday and this time next week will feel cold in comparison. GFS 12z has us in a very chilly second half of September. Hope it comes to fruition 🤞ens_image(16).thumb.png.ad63d13c821f64a77ff68a322e3ecd5b.png

Just now, Tidal Wave said:

Well I have to admit this spell is quite something, its very sobering and despite the darkening mornings and evenings it's increasingly unpleasant. Before this week I always saw mid-August as a point when the risk of serious heat would fade, but to be looking at 7 successive days in September with the UK seeing 30c plus then going to have rethink that, especially with such high nighttime temperatures.

I would urge heat haters to really look at equipping their homes for heatwaves, the trends are there for all to see.

We made 25.6c here today, the warmest so far. The house is 22c so it's slowly creeping up inside too. The end is in sight, roll on Monday.

I'd say the cut off point is mid September, though we can still see anomalous warmth even in October, 2011 for instance. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and mild breezes. Thunder, heavy showers. Stormy seas.

Warm 27C coastal daytime temps weather here, lasting a few more days. Just the nights that are uncomfortable.

Only 20-21C from wednesday for a week, about average maximum for the south east first half of september.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

CET to date, against the World Meteorological Organisation recommended 1961-1990 baseline... +5.5c. Utter, utter madness. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and mild breezes. Thunder, heavy showers. Stormy seas.
48 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Mid August ? lol. Reminds me how cold it felt while in derbyshire of an August morning heading back from cheshire to the south east. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

CET to date, against the World Meteorological Organisation recommended 1961-1990 baseline... +5.5c. Utter, utter madness. 

1991-2020 is the baseline average as its the most recent. I think this september will be about 2C above average despite the first part being a heatwave.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cosmo69 said:

1991-2020 is the baseline average as its the most recent. I think this september will be about 2C above average despite the first part being a heatwave.

Yes, most recent. But WMO recommend 1961-1990 as the international baseline. It's one of my hobbyhorses...!

Posted

The record is 5 days for 30c plus this month...way back in 1911.  So this will beat it, just about.

Edited by Cosmo69

Posted
1 minute ago, SollyOlly said:

Yes, most recent. But WMO recommend 1961-1990 as the international baseline. It's one of my hobbyhorses...!

Well, to be realistic, one should go by the most recent 30 year period for the most valid comparison. 

• Like 1

Posted

After being quite pleasant on Monday and Tuesday, yesterday and more particularly this evening have been awful for high humidity and the air quality also seems very bad!  Today has been very hazy with little sun, no wind and everything is covered in Sahara dust like I've never seen before!  The worst thing is, we have several more days of this.  Hardly any point going to bed tonight!

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Love Snow said:

Wake me up when September ends ain’t that how the song goes awful unpleasant weather 😢 

Yes, that is indeed how Green Day's song goes.  Trouble is, you can't wake up when it's too damn hot to sleep!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cosmo69 said:

Well, to be realistic, one should go by the most recent 30 year period for the most valid comparison. 

Respectfully, I disagree. If one keeps ratcheting up the baseline, it makes it harder to measure change over time. If the WMO recommend a baseline, that's good enough for me. I understand the view of those who want to do it differently, of course. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

Respectfully, I disagree. If one keeps ratcheting up the baseline, it makes it harder to measure change over time. If the WMO recommend a baseline, that's good enough for me. I understand the view of those who want to do it differently, of course. 

Yes i respect, but its a baseline that then makes this period warmer than it actually is. Obviously. So i am more inclined to go with an honest chronology, if you will.

• Like 1