Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - July 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

My best advice for the weekend if you want to know if you’re going to get a storm or three , is like me use the fantastic tool called the Rainfall Radar😊👍⚡⛈️

• Like 7

Posted

UKV showing two rounds of storms moving NE for tomorrow 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
3 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Not for me then? Perfect, no Met Office qthunderstorm warning curse. P.s.

Here's the Swiss models, just focusing on where I live because Im biased;

xx_model-en-340-0_modezswiss_2023070700_37_5137_240.thumb.png.f76a0811dd84764979ac22d505b66bc3.png

xx_model-en-340-0_modswisseu_2023070700_42_5137_240.thumb.png.3902e199b269eb5e6c3fc4842d68cea1.png

Still hopeful that me might see something

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

No update from Dan, so guess that confirms tonight is not happening, not that it's looked good since about Monday. What is it with this year and the complete absence of imports? And the wider decline over the last few years...

Tbh we had quite a long spell before 2015 where they didn't happen much, then all of a sudden we've had quite a few. Might just be another quiet year. It's not unheard of, I just wish the heat pump wouldn't turn on without a good storm happening too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

No update from Dan, so guess that confirms tonight is not happening, not that it's looked good since about Monday. What is it with this year and the complete absence of imports? And the wider decline over the last few years...

It’s not really an overnight thing, more a dawn event (if it happens) so I wouldn’t be too disheartened, considering there’s no forecast issues for anywhere else yet either

My optimism is still moderate 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

Tomorrow's event is completely dependent on the cloud cover from that front, the problem is that models are awful with cloud coverage. Gonna have to wait and see what the satellite and surface temps look like tmrw morning.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Could have some thunder embedded, or it could just be thundery rain.

viewimagenc.thumb.png.095ca218e5caf28d3d426e1ffb17a4b9.png

It’s such a bad time for storms, not sure I can ever remember an active storm at 7am-ish, look at all the forecast cloud too. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s such a bad time for storms, not sure I can ever remember an active storm at 7am-ish, look at all the forecast cloud too. 

I know I shouldn't complain if it DOES come off because well, we've had nothing here this summer, but it's genuinely the worst time of day for storm watching.

I won't be getting up early to look at a blanket of white with the odd rumble - unless it wakes me up.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I can. 2 years ago but that was the only one I can remember and there had been a storm a few hours before that one as well. Very much dependant on timing of the Theta-W quick advection as to initiation.  This could go either way.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yup it’s been a drought as far as storms are concerned, even decent thundery outbreaks are lacking down here.

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, WeatherArc said:

Tomorrow's event is completely dependent on the cloud cover from that front, the problem is that models are awful with cloud coverage. Gonna have to wait and see what the satellite and surface temps look like tmrw morning.

I’m thinking that the further south it is, then the earlier it is and the less dependant it will be on heating

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
Just now, Eagle Eye said:

I can. 2 years ago but that was the only one I can remember and there had been a storm a few hours before that one as well. Very much dependant on timing of the Theta-W quick advection as to initiation.  This could go either way.

Yep probably the same storm, very active storm for that time of the morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

It's still on July and given the SST's, we'll probably go on till October just like last year. We just need a bit of luck.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I’ve seen a few storms here around that time. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Eagle Eye said:

It's still on July and given the SST's, we'll probably go on till October just like last year. We just need a bit of luck.

I got my two best storms in October and November last year which is unusual - I'm guessing it was because of the hot summer and high SSTs meeting all that colder air making its way south.

If things continue how they are, this will be the third summer in a row without a direct hit - and 2020 only had one direct hit right at the end of August so it could've been 4 really.

2019 was the last big plume event here - July. Got so excited when it came overhead, I panicked and locked myself out of my car.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

I got my two best storms in October and November last year which is unusual - I'm guessing it was because of the hot summer and high SSTs meeting all that colder air making its way south.

If things continue how they are, this will be the third summer in a row without a direct hit - and 2020 only had one direct hit right at the end of August so it could've been 4 really.

2019 was the last big plume event here - July. Got so excited when it came overhead, I panicked and locked myself out of my car.

😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’ve seen many a decent early morning / daybreak storm here over the years… less so recently though.

I just don’t want tomorrow to a) deliver sod all thundery activity then b) stay cloudy when it should be sunny!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
19 minutes ago, Alderc said:

not sure I can ever remember an active storm at 7am-ish, look at all the forecast cloud too. 

June 20th, this year.  5:30am - ish

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

This year it’s a struggle to even get a decent plume over this area, most seem to go either side of us, not good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

How is MUCAPE looking at 4am along the coast?

Very meagre but would not be surprised if it became electric at some point.

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

This year it’s a struggle to even get a decent plume over this area, most seem to go either side of us, not good.

Yeah, they really do seem to be a bit rarer than the renaissance period of 2013-2019.

• Like 2

Posted

As expected the yellow warning from the MtO is hundreds of miles away from us in the south coast. The inbound front looks to use the latent heat to m the eas coast to its advantage.